What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Colorado to Pennsylvania and beyond

rwarre

Well Known Member
Planning a trip to Gettysburg, Amherst, VA and Rock Hill, SC. Tips on airports, gas, etc. welcome. Took the DC course and got my certificate.

What equipment are you using? Many modern aviation devices will keep you up to date on TFRs. P40 is always active but can expand when VIPs pay a visit. Also, the mid-Atlantic coast has more than its fair share of TFR activity.

I use a Garmin Aero with XM so it keeps me up to date, even pop-up TFRs. My cousin uses a fancy iPad app. In the absence of an "on-the-fly" notification device I would suggest flight following. There are also many restricted areas over here.

I like to use 100LL.com to check gas prices. Skyvector.com is a flight planner WITH fuel prices along the route. Could be useful. LBT Lumberton, NC is a very good fuel stop with great runways and a nice crew car to visit the local eateries.

Post up your planned route and I'm sure more will chime in.

2V5 TVK MZZ W05

Pretty descent fuel prices but no restaurants on the field. A pretty time of year to fly through this area in about 3 weeks. Maples/daffodils are in bloom now. This cold air is slowing our Spring down a little. Have a good trip.

Randy, you are so far east in Colorado, you are almost there already! Have a good trip. Fly on out this way sometime for a real cool trip!

I used to be based out of KDMW which is the next airport south of W05. I believe there remains a good RV community there.

Bill,

Still have a large number of RV's on the field. 8 flying and 1 still brewing.

Missed you the last time you were up. Been too long, no see.

Mike

Another DMW RV'er

Watch out for P40 between Gettysburg and points south. It frequently expands to 10 NM radius to 18000'. The best way to get the current status of P40 is a standard briefing at 1-800-WX-BRIEF.

This routing will keep you clear of the expanded P40, SFRA and Class B: W05 GATHR FDK MRB KFVX. Farmville is a nice airport close to Amherst with a courtesy car, etc.

If you would like to stop by DMW for a visit, give me a call. 443-745-2327.

Back