What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show a pic of your wing stand...

aarvig

Well Known Member
Trying to get some ideas. If you would please post a picture of your wing stand, maybe some closeups of how you stabilized it...that would be great! Thanks!
Aaron

I used a rolling stand made from some aluminum extrusions. I was lucky to get this from another local builder. It was nice to be able to move it around with the wings on in my limited garage space. You could just as easily make something similar from wood. With the matched hole construction, you only really need to make the jig straight and level while you match drill the skins, and then again while riveting. I put some threaded rods under the mid span of the rear spar to prevent sagging.

I didn't sweat it. Sturdy 2by4s anchored to the concrete floor and screwed to the beams on top.

wingstands.jpg

Vlad, that self portrate suggests you aged a lot over the course of your built!

When working of restoration projects, we used rolling wings racks that had verticals braced on the lower outside corners and had carpeting slung between the uprights. The wings went in "leading edge down".

It's similar to the EAA design ...
sa_12_87_fig1.jpg

Last edited:
Another example

I made a jig that could hold both wings, was movable, and doubled as a storage rack when the wings were none. Was happy how it came out, with pre-punched skins it did not have to be 100% spot on. I loved the ability to hang the wings up and roll then out of the way in the garage.

additional storage

FYI, I built the traditional wing stand (and it now sits in the hangar looking for a home) but added extra storage in the center to hold the tail section parts.
John
344ft4g.jpg

Thanks Rudi! Built his metal stands and would (will?) do the same again.

IMG_0993.JPG

Flipped the wings to make working on the aft spar and control surfaces easier.

IMG_1131.JPG

Simple, Simple...

My HRII right wing in a very simple set of stands. I plan on using the same ones on my -7 build, but will have to move them apart about 6-8 inches.

HRII%2520Right%2520Wing.jpg

Back