What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best Tool Kit

JOEPILOT

I'd like some imput on RV specific tool kits. I've found 3 online ranging from $1,500.00 (Brown tools), $2,300.00 (Avery Tools) and $2,477.00 from Aircraft Spruce. Being a transmission mechanic all my life I'm used to quality tools. I'm not looking for knuckle busters, but I would like to save were ever I can so I can spend more on the plane.
Thanks, Joe

I got my set from Isham but most of the tool vendors out there are pretty good. I think the price difference generally represents the overall content (each kit is different) of the kits rather than quality. There are some semi-unique tools in some of the kits as well.

There is a lot in the archives about what tools are most useful, etc. Good luck and have fun!

Greg

All are good. I have to say I have never had a better experience with any company in any industry than Avery tools. Bob and Judy are truly great people. :D

Agree with Greg on content, get the most comprehensive kit you can afford (or can afford not to get!). When you are in to it, if the correct tool is not handy, the temptation to use the next best is sometimes too great. Not going to tell you how I know that!

ACS kit

About 10 years ago I bought the ACS kit, regretted it. The squeezer was junk, fractured halfway through the emp. The clekos were the cheapest of the cheap, and all the #3's has to have the noses filed before they would fit in a #40 hole. You get the idea.

Since, I've bought everything from Cleaveland and Avery. Both are great houses, and if you have a problem, they are there to make it right.

While you are buying, buy a second countersink cage, and a second set of cleko pliers. Having the cages set up separately(one for AN3, the other AN4) will save huge time. And double the number of cleckos. :)

I love my tungsten bucking bar.

Rick 90432

PlaneTools 4 me

I ordered Isham too - had to have a pneumatic squeezer and titanium bar.

Got both in my tool bundle for a great price and never looked back...

My experiance with 3/32 clecos with the name "clekoloc" I found to not hold in a dimpled hole. Clecos marked KWIK-LOK and WEDGELOCK hold very well. Clecos larger than 3/32 all brands I have hold well. Dimpling the rivet holes enlarges them big time. I have about 150 clecos marked "clekoloc" that are useless to me. I believe I purchased them from Aircraft Spruce

Ray

I got most of my stuff from Avery. No problem with them. clecos i got from Avery also, then decided to get them from Van's Van's less hassel and work they seem fine. I also purchased a pneumatic squeezer which once I started using it I never regretted spending the big bucks for it. You'll love it. I use it for dimpling as well as setting rivets plus it's alot easier on the wrist than the hand sqeezer. I went through what you did at first trying to figure out what I might need for tools. Bought tools I haven't really used. So I bought as I went along once I knew what I was doing and what I could use. It only takes a few days to get more tools shipped so I'd say buy a few things, get started and you'll soon figure out what you'll need. At least it worked that way for me.

Thanks Diamond and Reiley!

We carry the best we can find, we would love to customize a kit for you.

Bought all my tools from Avery & Cleaveland. Both offer superior tools and service. I remember when Cleaveland used to come to the NW Flyin at Arlington, WA. I always left the show with a bag full of new gadgets from Cleaveland!

Don't think you have to buy all new tools. There are many builders before you you that spent big $$ on tools just to build one aircraft and now they have a couple thousand dollars of tools laying around. You may be surprised how much you can save buying used and/or slightly used tools, especially clecos, bucking bars, yokes, etc.

I remember when Cleaveland used to come to the NW Flyin at Arlington, WA. I always left the show with a bag full of new gadgets from Cleaveland!

We are coming back! Between my dad having dementia, my wife becoming disabled, and my daughter being young it has been a rough five years. Now with Buzz's passing and Mikayla being easier to travel with, I am making plans to be at Arlington in July. Just talked to Betty up there yesterday. Can't wait to get back there!

Tools ...

Cleaveland & Avery ... it has to be ...

I particularly like the dimple dies and the cup sets from Cleveland ... My thinking is ... buy from both and they both be in business for years to come ... as they both deserves to be ...

Stay away from ATS ... and Spruce sells to much to be really good at tools ....

Jan ...slow going RV6 build ...

We are coming back! Between my dad having dementia, my wife becoming disabled, and my daughter being young it has been a rough five years. Now with Buzz's passing and Mikayla being easier to travel with, I am making plans to be at Arlington in July. Just talked to Betty up there yesterday. Can't wait to get back there!

Great to hear your coming back. I'll be sure to stop by and say hello. Although I'm done with my build, I'm sure there is something I need to add to my tool collection. :cool:

I think the best bang for the buck, is buying your toolkit from the Classifieds section here on VAF. :D To get the good deals, you need to be making offers in minutes or even seconds though!

I've supplemented from Isham, Cleaveland, and Avery...been very satisfied with everybody, they are all great folks to work with. Cleaveland dimple dies seem to shine, compared to the one's I had from another used bundle. And a few pieces from eBay...but that requires being rather careful.

My recomendation is to start with the Cleaveland Hand Squeezer and dies, add several Tungsten bucking bars and go from there. Those are the most used items in my tool set by far. Not cheap but worth it.

Back