What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Am I too old to start?

JustJim

I'm New Here
Hi all,

My first post here. I've been lurking and reading here and at other builder sites for some time and really want an RV (probably a -9, no A thanks). I've been obsessed with details - panel layouts, paint schemes, option choices, details, details, details.

It's been a while (25 years) since I flew but am at a point where I want to fix that.

The big question is... I'm 60. Who else has started in the second half and how did it go?

JustJim

Too Old

You're only too old when you're dead. I would buy a QB or better yet get a abandoned project and save a bunch of money and work.

Are you kidding?

My neighbour is 75 and just bought an rv12 kit. I'm 59, finishing up an rv12 and have another rv kit in the wings.
You are only as old as you make yourself feel. So I'd say get a kit and get started rather than spending more time thinking about it.
But, if you need to fly now, buy a completed one or one in progress that you can finish.
I don't plan on wasting away in front of the tv because I am getting older. The way I look at it, I have more time to dedicate to building now.

Jim,
I started my first homebuilt, a QB7A, at 64,
after I retired. Did my first flight at 69.
At 75, the plane is coming up on 300 hours
with no problems and a lot of RV grins.

I, on the other hand, have had to get some
PMA replacements. Eye lens implant, hip
joint replacement, etc. They stock all the parts.

Don't wait any longer, just get started,

Tom

The big question is... I'm 60. Who else has started in the second half and how did it go?

JustJim

The posts above offer good advice. In addition I think it is good to consider your functional age, rather than your biological age. I know 60 year olds who are pretty much non-functional mentally and physically, and probably should not be building or flying. I also know 80 year olds who are still mentally sharp and physically active, and are building and flying. Many people are too worried about simple forgetfullness. Forgetting where you put your keys is an annoyance; forgetting what keys are for is a problem.

I started my -10 when I was 65. My wife and I had a great time flying it to Baja last weekend.

Jim Berry

If you want to fly, buy a completed airplane. If you want to build THEN fly, by all means jump in to the kit. There's way more to building than "panel layouts, paint schemes, option choices, details, details, details", however.

You'll spend the first half of your build time on metal work, and the things you mentioned above will be on hold or just "someday" thoughts until you complete most of the metal.

Thanks all for great feedback.

I know the build-fly vs fly-now internal debate. I also know the grind of building with many small milestones before getting to panel, paint etc and, of course, before flying. For me there are rewards to having built something that go far beyond its utility - I've learned that much from various projects in my life so far.

It's comforting to hear from others that have started at retirement. I know I'm fully capable. I just have to make up my mind which path to take and start.

Thanks again,
Jim

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Hi all,

My first post here. I've been lurking and reading here

JustJim

Jim, welcome to the good ship VAF:D

No, you are NOT too old to start, but the longer you wait, the older you will be when you do get it done.

I am 63, closer to 64 in fact------and I want to start a new RV soon as I can talk my wife into it.

I wouldn't even consider your age as being in a category of "old" at all...especially when it comes to RV's. We have dozens of customers in their 80's working on planes, and even a few in their 90's. One customer a couple weeks ago I spoke with is 93 and starting and RV. He figures he won't get it done, but decided he really needed something to keep him busy and his brain sharp, plus he figured it wouldn't much much of a financial burden as the kit or finished plane can eventually be sold anyway. Also note that Jim Younkin just built a Mullicoupe over the past year and a half, he's 80+. I could go on with various examples, but in the RV12 crowd there are LOTS of them in the 80+ range!

I say JUST BUILD IT. If you get tired of it and want a flying one, the worst you'll do is sell the parts for about the cost you have into them, although that first flight is worth lots of money!

Just my young 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein

medical class?

since no-one else mentioned it, you may want to go get your medical first.

that may help decide if you build a -9 or a -12???

alos, if bucks are available, there's a few of these '2 weeks to taxi' type operations that will get you in the air more quickly, while still letting you drive a lot of rivets and get familiar with all the parts & systems.

my $.02

Offer of Encouragement

I'll chime in here and say definately go for it.

I started my RV-4 in 2003 at age 56 with professional builders assistance. We finished in 2006 and I have been flying it now for 5+ years and 500+ hours. There is no way to describe the satisfaction I feel when I strap in to the plane I dreamed of having and and now actually get to fly it whenever I want, wherever I want. I look out on the wings sometimes just to appreciate how well built, strong and beautiful she is! It's a great feeling to trust your aircraft.

It's even better than building your own hot rod, although I have that too :)
Ron
N8ZD

I started when I was 60

At the Time I was still working and had a 4 hour commute every day with me providing the transportation. I was working a minimum of 8 hours per day at JPL in Pasadena on several space projects and had to travel for monthly management reviews, design reviews, etc. that took me out of town for days at a time, and when commanding a spacecraft I had to go to work when we had time on a ground station that could see the spacecraft with no respect for daytime hours. The good news was I was very active and bad part was that my spare time was very limited - sleep always suffered. My wife and I did all of the work on our RV-6A except final assembly in our garage. The plane was completed to flying stage in around 7+ years and completed in 8 years. I got transition training in one of Mike Seager's planes in Oregon and did my own first flight and every flight since. I race the plane in the Sport Air Racing League so you might say I continue to build with modifications to improve performance.

You obviously have the primary requirement - desire! And based on my experience you have the time. There is a talent requirement but if you do not have it, it is EASILY acquired - I had one few day training session at Van's (no longer offered) to teach me sheet metal work. I thought it was perfect but the judges at Sun 'n' Fun and AirVenture did not agree.

bbddrake.jpg

Physical strength was not a big issue for me because I stay in reasonably good shape and when something difficult in that regard comes up there are many ways to work around the brute force demands. Systems design and implemention were no problem for me since I had worked with that sort of thing since I quit high school and joined the Air Force. I found that the equipment manufacturers were thorough in their documentation and putting together the systems for our airplane was part of the self fulfillment in building the airplane. You do have to have or develop a high level concept of what you want and use a top down development approach I believe to get the best airplane. I am reading betreen the lines a little bit but I sense that you are almost looking forward to that part of the build. One final big thing is money. I would guess that we put out $80,000 for kits, raw materials and equipment (mainly electrical/electronic - no glass - and propulsion) plus money for special tools that we didn't have (maybe $5000 but that seems high). We didn't have that kind of money but I knew that I could not approach this task as a build as you get the money project - in order to sustain the project I had to focus all my spare time on building the airplane with no compromises. We refinaced our home and got an equity line of credit and went full bore with no hesitation when we needed something or anticipated the need for something. The financial burden can ruin your life so that requirement has to be considered very seriously before committing to building the airplane. If you buy an existing airplane you control costs absolutely in the beginning but reading you words I know the building of your RV-9 will be one of the great satisfying things in your life.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
do it!

Jim:

It's good that you're asking questions - that's applying your hard-won life experience, which will serve you well.

Tennyson inspired me with this http://www.portablepoetry.com/poems/alfredlord_tennyson/ulysses.html many years ago:

"Old age hath yet his honour and his toil;
Death closes all: but something ere the end,
Some work of noble note, may yet be done,
Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.

The lights begin to twinkle from the rocks:
The long day wanes: the slow moon climbs: the deep
Moans round with many voices. Come, my friends,
'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.

Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.

It may be that the gulfs will wash us down:
It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Good luck,

Ron

That is beautiful

The poem is so true. When many things including time turn against you that is when your effort and perserverence are meaningful and accomplishments sublime.

Bob Axsom

...I'm 60.....

Too old to start?

Geez, I sure hope not - I'm older than you are and I ordered a standard-build version of the RV-3, which doesn't have all those neat prepunched parts.

Here's the trick - get an assessment from your AME or doctor as to how long they think you can hold a 3rd class medical, figure how long it ought to take you to build the thing, and then decide.

Also, stay fit. Regular exercise and stretching sure help a person feel well.

Have fun!
Dave

I don't know if your too old. I started my 9a at 59, just turned 65. Quick built wings and standard fuse. If you have the $ I would suggest quick built. Most of the fun but less repitition (read riveting).

Hope you join the fun.

Dan J.
Just rolled the canoe Saturday.

These guys have it all wrong. 60 is too old. I was only 59--big difference. Of course that was nine years ago, when I started my first RV, a 9A. I am working on a 12 now, and will be starting a third RV tomorrow. Yeah, 60 is too old;)

Bob

Go For It

By all means, go for it!
I bought a Citabria and learned to fly at age 63. Then got an instrument rating in a Liberty XL2. At age 65 started a Quick Build RV8 and finished and flew it at 67. Now at age 70 have over 300 hours of big RV grins doing just local messing around, acros, and cross country trips.
My spouse drives from south Florida to Hilton Head in 9 hours, I fly it in 2 hours and 20 minutes. Guess who has more fun?

Hey, you and I must be brothers. I, too, went 25 years without flying, but a flight physical (I went ahead and got a 2nd class since I have a Comm license and wanted to see if I would still qualify -- I did), a couple of brush up flights and some airspace ground school last Fall took care of that -- like riding a bicycle. Heck, I even went ahead and bought a 150 to fly and practice with while I build. Figure I'll be able to sell it someday at least for what I paid for it, and it's really brightened up our lives. Made me realize I should never have gone so long without flying -- easy to say, but when you're paying for kids, baseballs, weddings, and college, it's understandable.

I, too, am 60, and ordered my RV-7A tail kit and tools in November, and started building seriously in January. I just now finished the horizontal stabilizer and really glad I got started. I won't say it's a piece of cake, but it's not hard either, just different. Like someone told me a few months ago, it's a marathon, not a sprint, so take your time and enjoy it. Before you know it the plane will be built and one of your life's goals will be behind you! Wife and I are building together, and she and I both took the EAA sheet metal workshop in December. To be honest, the quality of the Van's kit is much higher than what you'll practice with in any workshop, which makes things easier than expected, at least for us.

If your health is good and you plan to fly, get on with it -- we ain't getting any younger, but we aren't old yet either. As far as I'm concerned, 60 is the new 40.

Good luck, Jim.

My flight instructor for doing my BFR's is 82 and has a long line current students in training. Need I say more? When you're dead, then you're too old.

PS: I turn sixty in just a few months.

Never too old

I started my 9A at 66 and still building. I have a friend at Independence, OR who built a 7 and has flown across the US at least twice. He has completed a 12 and now owns two aircraft. He is a WWII "Jug" pilot and still flying in his 80's. Gotta love it!

Hi all,

My first post here. I've been lurking and reading here and at other builder sites for some time and really want an RV (probably a -9, no A thanks). I've been obsessed with details - panel layouts, paint schemes, option choices, details, details, details.

It's been a while (25 years) since I flew but am at a point where I want to fix that.

JustJim

The gentleman from whom I purchased my -6 started it when it was (I believe) 63. He subsequently built a -7A and when I purchased the 6 was making noises about building a -12.

The answer you are looking for...

is one that will help you rationalize your decision. Building an airplane is not rational at any age. However, it is an extremely rewarding decision that will provide you with an incredible sense of accomplishment whether you finish only one kit, or the whole airplane in 2 months or 20 years.
Don't rationalize it. As Yoda said..."There is no try, do or do not." Either make a decision to build it after understanding the commitment (financial and time), or skip it and join a shuffleboard team:D.
PS You can get great tools from Cleaveland Tool...have fun building:D.

Hi Jim.

There are lots of RVs flying and being built in the Houston area. There is also a group that gets together once a month a different locations through out the area. Let me know if you have any questions, you're welcome to stop by any time to check out my project.

Matt

I'm 70.

Hi Jim,

I ordered my 9a kit when I was 67, built it when I was 68 (Quickbuild). and first flight was when I was 69. I'm now 70 and have 100 hrs up.

I was concerned about medicals, thought about a RV12, but I liked the idea of having a Lycoming up the front, so decided to go with the 9a. Built it light (893 lb) and registered it Recreation Aviation Australia (1320 lb MTOW and no medical required).

There is nothing like the rewarding feeling of building and flying the aircraft you built.

Bob

Unless you're a zombie (read: dead) typing this I would say no, you're not too old.

The true measure of one's ability to build an RV is physical ability. There are lots of times, especially nearing the end of the project, where you'll be required to climb into the fuselage, lay down, etc. Some people build fuselage rotisseries which allow you to rotate the entire thing which eliminates some bending/crawling/etc.

As long as you're mobile I don't think you should have a problem.

Hi all,

JustJim

I'm 58. Started 11 years ago and I'm almost done. If I were starting now, it wouldn't scare me.

See, the thing is... the BUILDING is the thing. I've enjoyed almost every moment of it. I always said "it'll be finished when it's finished," so if you enjoy the process, it really doesn't matter how old you are or when you're done. It's about the here and now.

Too old - never!!

I too [like Mike Starkey] am 63 years "young" heading towards 64 and plan to start building an 9A in the near future. And just to make life really interesting I am about to start my PPL training. I fortunately managed to pass a Class 2 medical in January so now I'm "good to go". So are you too old - no ways, the only time you become too old is when you lose the dream and give up on life!! Have fun, keep the grey matter working overtime and do everything in moderation - it'll keep you young [maybe not forever] but for a whole lot longer:)

Back