What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS-707 dilemma !

pilotian

Well Known Member
I have come to a point where I am sorta confused how I will be doing the next step today.

As per the directions I did the left horizontal Stab and it turned out just dandy and better than I anticipated. So coming of a "win" I have continued to plug away at the reast of the HS! So..... I of course went per directions and attached the rear spar channel to the rear spars and riveted all that up for assembly at the end of the process.

My real problem is I just am having a hard time visualizing the thought of attaching the HS-707*(*could be HS-708, I dont have the plans infront of me right now, at school!) front nose rib in the middle of the right HS. Since the directions say to repeat the process for the right, i continued to attach the right front flange to the center HS-810 and such and now it is permenant to the right.

I am confused how I am going to reat the HS-707* now when it is time? Will I just reach through the front part where the HS-405 would be and not put the HS-405 nose rib in until after. Or is there another way that I am not thinking of.....

Obviously going from the back isnt an option do to the permenance of the flange. Are the directions wrong or so they just like close calls!?

Thanks
(we wont get into the whole 405 2 hole problem I have... thats another topic haha)

Last edited:
Ian.

HS-707 is pop riveted along with HS-708 to the front spar. As for riveting to the skin, you would rivet the top accessing the flange from the unriveted bottom of the assembly. Note the plans say you can use "pop rivets" on the bottom side since you would have no access.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Ian.

HS-707 is pop riveted along with HS-708 to the front spar. As for riveting to the skin, you would rivet the top accessing the flange from the unriveted bottom of the assembly. Note the plans say you can use "pop rivets" on the bottom side since you would have no access.

Hope that helps.

That helps a ton... I never thought of that. It will still be a tight squeeze to get in there I would imagine but o well... As for the bottom, I wonder if I can just go through the open area where the 405 or what not wil be. Hmmm

Recalling how I did it

I searched my own blog and unfortunately could not find much regarding the right side HS assembly and riveting. Had some challenges with the left side and was probably too burned out to post anything about the right side.

As I recall I repeated the steps to rivet the left side together, except I modified the step to attach the main HS708 center rib to the HS 707 nose rib and skin just a bit.

I am fairly certain that I only clecoed enough of the HS708 main rib to the skin and to the rear flange of the nose rib to ensure that the skin was tight over the nose rib. I left the rearward top and bottom holes of HS708 unclecoed so that I still had some slack in the skin that allowed me to easily get my large arm and hand and the bucking bar inside to rivet the nose rib rivets. I started with the front rivets and worked my way rearward, or from hardest to easiest. You can use a vertical stand to hold the skin in position for this, or use the helping hands of another builder. The main thing is to keep the HS skin from moving while you rivet.

I did the top side first, then the bottom. The key point here is that all of this is done without the skin being placed over the forward spar of the HS. You can use solid rivets on both top and bottom with very little problem. Since the skin is not placed over the forward spar while doing this, you do not have to worry about accessing the rib from the HS 404/405 rib area at the root of the HS. Once the nose rib is riveted to the skin on the top and bottom, you remove the HS 708 and HS 706 ribs, slide the skin over the forward spar section, re-cleco HS 708 to the skin, the HS 707 nose rib, and the forward spar, and close it up the rest of the way.

Or you can use the MK 319 BS pop rivets as mentioned in the plans for the bottom side if your wish - your choice.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I searched my own blog and unfortunately could not find much regarding the right side HS assembly and riveting. Had some challenges with the left side and was probably too burned out to post anything about the right side.

As I recall I repeated the steps to rivet the left side together, except I modified the step to attach the main HS708 center rib to the HS 707 nose rib and skin just a bit.

I am fairly certain that I only clecoed enough of the HS708 main rib to the skin and to the rear flange of the nose rib to ensure that the skin was tight over the nose rib. I left the rearward top and bottom holes of HS708 unclecoed so that I still had some slack in the skin that allowed me to easily get my large arm and hand and the bucking bar inside to rivet the nose rib rivets. I started with the front rivets and worked my way rearward, or from hardest to easiest. You can use a vertical stand to hold the skin in position for this, or use the helping hands of another builder. The main thing is to keep the HS skin from moving while you rivet.

I did the top side first, then the bottom. The key point here is that all of this is done without the skin being placed over the forward spar of the HS. You can use solid rivets on both top and bottom with very little problem. Since the skin is not placed over the forward spar while doing this, you do not have to worry about accessing the rib from the HS 404/405 rib area at the root of the HS. Once the nose rib is riveted to the skin on the top and bottom, you remove the HS 708 and HS 706 ribs, slide the skin over the forward spar section, re-cleco HS 708 to the skin, the HS 707 nose rib, and the forward spar, and close it up the rest of the way.

Or you can use the MK 319 BS pop rivets as mentioned in the plans for the bottom side if your wish - your choice.

Hope that helps.

After spending 2 hours yesterday afternoon trying to do the other method I realized it wasn't a smart and east choice. What you just explained, I remember doing for the left side! I will do that tonight thanks! My only apprehension about not clecoing it to the spar is that it will bend the skin in weird ways.... but heck I doubt it will be a problem!

Thanks that helps a ton! I just wasnt sure if that was a safe way to do it :)

My only apprehension about not clecoing it to the spar is that it will bend the skin in weird ways.... but heck I doubt it will be a problem!

I had the same feeling when I did mine. In fact, if you check my blog for when I did the left side, you will find a pic of a nice ding that I put on the skin when attempting to drive my second rivet. As long as you cleco it up with the tip rib (706) on the end and the HS 708 butted up tight to the nose rib as per the plans/instructions, adn secure the skin so that it will not move, it should be fine. Non linear shapes such as the skins are definitely difficult to secure sometimes. This is where having a buddy to help buck the rivets, or a cradle to hold the skin firmly in position, is a huge help in keeping the skin nice and secure while the riveting takes place. Much easier to reach in from the rear than to reach in from the root end of the skin IMHO. I don' t think you have to reach quite as far if you do it that way.

I learned my lesson the hard way when I did the left side. The right side came out much better. My right side skin fit like a glove over the frame after the nose rib was riveted in place, so you should not have any problems if you secure the skin into position and take your time riveting those pesky leading edge rivets.

Good luck!

Back