What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

End of throttle, mixture, prop knob decal?

avee8tor13

Well Known Member
Anyone know of decals to go in the end of the throttle, prop and mixture knob with the words, 'Full', 'IDLE' 'Full Prop' or similar wording?

Thanks

Looking for these as well. Spruce has mixture, cabin heat, parking brake and alternate air but, not prop and throttle. Spent hours searching Cessna parts sites but, couldn't find the last 2 I need. Anyone have a source?

Legal requirement?

Is there actually a legal requirement to have the throttle, prop, and mixture controls labeled with text?

I would have thought that using the standard arrangement for the engine controls and the standard knob shapes and colors for each would suffice. No?

Hoping to hear the answer from one of the DARs among us.

Thanks,
-Roee

Still a little fuzzy

Start with FAR 23.777. Also, 23.1141-, and 23.1555

Thanks. Yep, those seem to be applicable regs. But they still don't seem to unambiguously answer the question.

23.777(c)(3) and 23.777(d) specify how the engine controls should be placed. Check.

23.1555(a) specifies generally that the controls must be marked, but does not specify how they must be marked.

And that's the core of my question. Does "mark" necessarily mean "text placard"? Or can "mark" be satisfied by other means? In the case of the throttle, prop, and mixture knobs, one might argue that their function is already marked by putting them in the standardized locations and making the knobs have the colors and shapes that universally identifies that specific control per the FARs:

The required motion and effect of each control is specified in FAR 23.779(b)(1)

The required unique shape of each control is specified in FAR 23.781(b)

I couldn't find a FAR that specifies the standard color of each control (black - blue - red). Maybe that's just de-facto standard?

In any case, all of the above would seem to adequately "mark" the control for its function. So I'm wondering if text is still also required by the FAA's interpretation of the applicable FARs?

Question

Does FAR part 23 apply to EAB (Experimental Amateur Built) aircraft?

Not saying it isn't a good idea to follow convention, but can't you do nearly anything you want in an EAB aircraft?

Couldn't I design a plane that had a pedal for the throttle, for example? or maybe control yaw by twisting the stick grip left and right? etc. (Yep, I know, wild and crazy, but just asking the question.):confused:

Does FAR part 23 apply to EAB (Experimental Amateur Built) aircraft? ...

Good point, Pete.

I'll restate my question in terms of the EAB category:

If the throttle/prop/mix controls use the standard locations, motion, knob shape, and color, will a DAR also insist that they be labeled with text?

Back to the question of the thread: does anyone know of a source for stock stickers/decals that are ready to apply?

My cables are installed so, I'm definitely not interested in engraving them.

Print them with a laser printer on clear, stick-em backed stock. All they have to do is stay readable until the inspection. Kind of like labeling the stick with "back for nose up". It doesn't matter if they are legally required or not, only matters what your DAR thinks.

DecalPro

Your best bet is probably a printed label of some sort.
I used Decal Pro to label those knobs but decided not to label throttle, prop
and mixture knobs because they would be turning and not ever look perfectly straight.
The other knobs are decal pro and clear coated.
You don't have to label on the "knob". You can label like everyone else on the instrument panel, no need to overthink this labeling issue.

IMG_0598.JPG

Back