What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Capacitive Fuel System

BGS

Well Known Member
I am about to start the construction of the fuel tanks and interested in replacing the float system that Vans uses with a capacitive type system.

I am sure that most avionics will work but just for conversation I will be using the AFS EFIS.

Was wondering if anyone has information of a kit available for the rv10 or if someone can fill me in on exactly what I would need to get this accomplished.

Thanks
Brian Steeves
www.briansrv10.com

SkySports probes

You can get custom length capacitive probes from SkySports:
http://www.airstuff.com/fuelmon.html
I would have to look back at what length we got. Our tanks were already built, so we are just measuring in the first bay, but if you bend the probes, you can get a nice diagonal measuring section across that area. Ours seems to measure pretty well from just above zero to about 25 gallons. (So the needle will be pegged at 25 with full tanks, and won't move until you've burned off they first 5 gallons.) If you're still building tanks, you could get a longer probe that extends further out through rib holes to get closer to max. (capacitive probes cannot touch anything metal in there)

SkySports will make custom lengths and you can specify how much should be bendable and how much is measuring. For instance, ours enters the tank at the typical location, bends down to get near zero fuel, then has a long straight measuring section that angles up and across the first bay of the tank.

SkySports can also do custom outputs, i.e. if you want a resistive output or voltage output, etc. (within reason)

Cheers,

Tim

You need to contact the EFIS manufacturer to see if they can tell you what probes work with their system. There is no kit specifically for the -10, but there are a couple of probe suppliers out there. I was going with the Skysport because it looked as if the Electronics International probes were designed to work with EI's gauges. Then I discovered that Garmin, while they didn't have any -10 specific installation data, recommended the EI probes for their 1000 and 900X systems.

EI will also custom cut their probes. Since I have not started my tanks yet, I am planning to install full-span probes; maybe later this summer I can post some pictures and info.

Capacitive

Thanks everyone for the info.

Had many ideas sent my way and after verification with the manufacturers sounds like this will work.

Use the capacitive system that Vans makes for the rv9 but will require a fabrication of new plate to fit in the 10 tank. Since I will be utilizing the AFS 4500 EFIS I contacted them and they verified that I would need to purchase the Princeton or Dynon capacitance to voltage converter.

I think this is the route I am going to take.

Looking for SkySports

Is SkySports still around?
There stuff has disappeared from ACS's printed catalog. The link above is being re-routed to ACS. I might need a replacement probe after 15 years of use.

I ordered the Princeton Capacitive probes from GRTAvionics. Tell them you have a RV-10 and they can supply the probes pre-bent for the tank. Also with these you don't need converters for the AFS EFIS, just a resistor in line to lower the voltage reading.

http://grtavionics.com/default.aspx?id=47

Fuel%20Probe%20Large.JPG

Probes vs. Plates?

Anyone know which are more accurate senders through the entire spectrum: Capacitive plates or Capacitive probes? I thought the probes don't have accurate readings at the top (or was it the bottom) b/c they can't be bent in such a way to reach diagonally across the whole tank.. ?

Perhaps someone could also give the pros/cons of each? I'm about to order for my tanks, and I'd like a rundown of the differences, since I don't know much about the probes. Thanks.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Had many ideas sent my way and after verification with the manufacturers sounds like this will work.

Use the capacitive system that Vans makes for the rv9 but will require a fabrication of new plate to fit in the 10 tank. Since I will be utilizing the AFS 4500 EFIS I contacted them and they verified that I would need to purchase the Princeton or Dynon capacitance to voltage converter.

I think this is the route I am going to take.

I would recommend the Princeton converters over the Dynon ones. The Dynon ones are not adjustable and only use a very small amount of the signal range available. The Princeton ones can be adjusted to take advantage of the full span of the signal range.

Fuel Cap indication system

I just installed the Capacitive Fuel System plates in my left fuel tank. It is very easy and AFS makes the converter for them.

I used the Vans RV-9 Capacitive kit, remade the 2 plates per tank to fit the RV-10 ribs and added a extra mount screw. IE 4 mounts per rib and not 3 like in the RV-9.

I can send pics to any one that wants them. The Vans kit is complete and very easy to build.

I like the plate Idea one mounts the next to the furthest outboard rib and one to the 2nd inboard rib. I will have fuel indication accuracy from empty thru full.

It was very inexpensive and very easy to install.

I can even make a template of the rib i make for anyone that wants one.

The wiring feeds thru the inboard rib with a bnc connector. that is totally sealed on the inside of the tank..

Email me at [email protected] and i will be glad to let you know what and why i did what i did.

I just installed the Capacitive Fuel System plates in my left fuel tank. It is very easy and AFS makes the converter for them.

I used the Vans RV-9 Capacitive kit, remade the 2 plates per tank to fit the RV-10 ribs and added a extra mount screw. IE 4 mounts per rib and not 3 like in the RV-9.

I just did the same thing a few weeks ago. I second that the Van's -9 plate kit is easy to mod for the -10.

http://www.edandcolleen.com/capacitive-fuel-level-senders/

I scanned my plates into a PDF file and listed them on that page. It should be a good starting point for others.

Princeton NPT probes.

I ordered the Princeton Capacitive probes from GRTAvionics. Tell them you have a RV-10 and they can supply the probes pre-bent for the tank. Also with these you don't need converters for the AFS EFIS, just a resistor in line to lower the voltage reading.

Princeton wasn't able to bend them for my RV-10 when I tried to order. I went with their NPT capacitive probes. I ordered the longest ones they sell and cut them to fit through two bays. With these the electronics are seperate and very easy to replace if they ever go bad. The draw back is you have to bend them yourself, which turned out not to be as hard as I thought.

From my build log:
http://airplane.athomeinthewilburness.com/2012/07/29/capacitive-fuel-probes/

Van's plates and Dynon systems

Looking at this post, I have a question:

Based from experience, does anyone know if the capacitive fuel sensing plates Van's sells work with Dynon Skyview system?
Is there any other item that is required to connect after the BNC stock connector in order to work?

Thanks

I believe there is another thread on this that says Van's no longer sells the capacitance plates. Dynon used to sell the capacitance to voltage converter, but I don't see it on their site now either.

I believe there is another thread on this that says Van's no longer sells the capacitance plates. Dynon used to sell the capacitance to voltage converter, but I don't see it on their site now either.

I was lucky enough to have the sending kit ordered a few days after they quit selling them. (I called them and they told me they still had a couple in stock)
Now, if it is the case and you are right, I hope to be lucky enough to purchase the Dynon voltage converters too.
Do you know the Part number for these?

You will need a converter for each tank. I believe I bought my Princeton converters from GRT. I remember deeing other threads where people have complained about one brand or the other. I don't remember which. I have had no problems with mine.

CAP Converter

I got my converter from Stein. It will work with the Garmin panels no problem he said.

They were available with out ordering them, I think he keeps them in stock.

I am building a -14 but wanted to revisit this thread on the -10 forum since it shares the same tank profile. I've used Princeton's capacitive fuel probes in my RV-8A with very good results and would like to go with capacitive technology again on my -14 tanks. For the -8A I bought the Princeton probes already bent to fit the tanks, but I can't find any that are advertised specifically for the larger RV-10/14 tanks. Looks like some of the -10 builders have purchased the Princeton "Advanced NPT Model" in the 24" length and bent it to fit. Before I do the same, does anyone know of a current source for capacitive probes specifically designed for the -10 or -14?

Thanks,

I am building a -14 but wanted to revisit this thread on the -10 forum since it shares the same tank profile. I've used Princeton's capacitive fuel probes in my RV-8A with very good results and would like to go with capacitive technology again on my -14 tanks. For the -8A I bought the Princeton probes already bent to fit the tanks, but I can't find any that are advertised specifically for the larger RV-10/14 tanks. Looks like some of the -10 builders have purchased the Princeton "Advanced NPT Model" in the 24" length and bent it to fit. Before I do the same, does anyone know of a current source for capacitive probes specifically designed for the -10 or -14?

Thanks,

I put the Princeton probes in my tanks and now wish I had just used the floats. Why? The Princeton probes work great.. I calibrated them using 100LL but now am running with 100LL in the right tank, and either ethanol free 90 mogas or sometimes 93 10% ethanol laced auto gas in the left tank. This creates havoc with the accuracy of the probe, especially when I travel and have to fill the left with 100L mixing it with the mogas. With floats, they may not be as accurate as fuel specific calibrated probes, but they would be more accurate than the different mixes I end up using. To answer your question though, there are no probes specific to the RV-10. I fitted and bent mine before I closed up the tanks with the rear baffle. Make sure the probe tube is isolated from coming in contact with the tank itself.

Can the float type gauges that Vans supplies be replaced without pulling the wing or the tank off the -10? My biggest hang up with the floats is that they have moving parts and will eventually wear out. I know it has happened to others, and on some of the 2-seaters it's pretty hard to replace the probes due to geometry and the narrow gap between the tank and fuselage. If they could be replaced by just pulling the gap fairing, disconnecting the wires, and removing the five screws that hold the probe in place, I might just go with the floats.

Thanks,

Yes, you can do just that, it's easy to replace them. Plenty of room between the fuse and wing rib. The plans have you gunk them all up with proseal.
Removing the proseal is not so much fun. I'm having good luck so far with viton gaskets and screws with viton orings on them. No more proseal mess.

Lenny

Back