What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-580 in RV-10?

kcpilot81

Has anyone explored the use of Lycoming's IO-580 engine for the -10? It appears based on Lycoming's specs it is the same width and length as the 540-K and less than an inch taller while providing 315HP at 2700RPM with a compression ration still below 9.0:1.

It seems like a good alternative to the 540 for those looking for a bit more power. Thoughts?

According to the Lycoming site, the base cost for a 580 is $57,600 and the base of the 540-K (300HP) is $48,600.

Van's sells the 540-D (260HP) for $39,000 so it is a fair amount more than that.

Dry weight is 444, 20 lbs less than the 540-K (although about 30 lbs heavier than the 540-D).

Looking into it further, another problem may be finding an appropriate prop. I believe most props suggested for the -10 have a 300 hp max. Producing 315 hp may require stepping up to a different prop.

Still seems like an interesting idea, just not sure if the time (finishing kit modifications) and the money for the engine and prop would be worth the extra 15 hp. But for those always looking for a bit more power, seems like a viable option.

Last edited:
After a quick search on the internet I found the lightest IO580 was 434lbs. while an IO540 was listed at 369lbs, so not too bad. I doubt the IO540K or IO580 would fit without creating a new cowling. Has anyone installed one?

Kevin Belue
RV-10 flying
RV-6A flying

Dry weight is 244, 20 lbs less than the 540-K (although about 30 lbs heavier than the 540-D).

Looking into it further, another problem may be finding an appropriate prop. I believe most props suggested for the -10 have a 300 hp max. Producing 315 hp may require stepping up to a different prop.

Still seems like an interesting idea, just not sure if the time (finishing kit modifications) and the money for the engine and prop would be worth the extra 15 hp. But for those always looking for a bit more power, seems like a viable option.

Now that you have compared the 580 to the 540K in weight, compare the 540K to the 540D in width. Not saying it can't be done, but it wont go under any current cowls being produced. .02

You want to be careful adding more wieght to the nose of this aircraft than what the IO-540 already does. You may find the CG out of limits or borderline unles you have a passenger or two in the back. If you run a 2 blade rop your tips may be getting a bit close to the tarmac if it exceeds the 80" Hartzel Personally. I think my 263 HP is plenty but there are always folks looking for more.

Angle valve

Those 300+ HP Lycomings are angle valve engines, not parallel valve engines like the 540s. Like someone else said, you're now talking about designing yourself a new cowl to fit. Might even be differences in the motor mount??

TDT

Ya know, there's been an IO-720 on ebay for some time now with 0 smoh for somewhere around $50k if you're up for a cowling re-mod, interesting w&b issues and some serious horsepower. :D

Yeah, just add oh, about 2 ft to the empennage/fuselage joint, extend your baggage compartment to offset the weight, rebalance control surfaces for design flutter speed of oh, say 300mph, and should be good to good. Just minor changes to the plans, eh?

Ya know, there's been an IO-720 on ebay for some time now with 0 smoh for somewhere around $50k if you're up for a cowling re-mod, interesting w&b issues and some serious horsepower. :D

Back