What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flop tube rotating Help needed

jcarne

Well Known Member
Patron
Gents, just got done pressure testing my left fuel tank. While attaching a cap to the flop tube bulkhead fitting I noticed the fitting rotate. It did not break the seal as I leak checked it but it definitely moved. The flop tube bulkhead nut was torqued to spec, I thought the proseal would be enough to keep from rotating, apparently I was wrong. So, am I the only one having this problem? Also, how would you fix it? Remove access cover or install a smaller new one somewhere? Btw, the plans do not call for an anti rotation bracket here.

Do you have inverted oil? If not, the sure cure is to remove it & use a regular pickup.

(Said with a serious smile.)

Think how you would feel finding it leaking 6 months after everything is put together and flying.

Open it up & re-do it. Same sealing process, with a little more torque on the elbow fitting nut & leave it a week or two before leak testing.

Ya your probably right, just gonna have to bite the bullet and remove the access cover.

Well, getting the access cover off wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it was going to be. I'll keep you guys and gals posted on this fix, if anyone is reading this and hasn't done this part of their tanks I highly recommend you put in an anti-rotation bracket on your flop tube!

On a more positive note, look at that glass like complexion on that tank! :D

20171202_230623 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

When you're ready to replace the cover,

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=1205688&postcount=8

And my earlier post wasn't a joke. If you don't have inverted oil, a flop tube buys you nothing but potential trouble. Rotating that fitting is far from the only issue you can have with them.

Charlie

Thanks for the link Charlie. Inverted is part of the reason I'm building the 7 so oil systems are a possibility to me depending on how much money I have around that time.

Verify that both the anti rotation bracket AND the safety's are on the pickup tubes. We recently had an older RV4 pickup tube vibrate off in flight...pickup tube bulliten had not been done.

Verify that both the anti rotation bracket AND the safety's are on the pickup tubes. We recently had an older RV4 pickup tube vibrate off in flight...pickup tube bulliten had not been done.

Thanks Jim. I installed the flop tube so it's good to go as I did safety it. Good to point out though for future readers as that's an important one!

Back