What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GA 57X Antenna on a GNS-430W

Dan Langhout

Well Known Member
Perhaps this is a question for the G3Xperts. Has anyone ever used the GPS side of a GA 57X antenna for the GPS antenna on a GNS-430W? I've been using a GA 57X on my GDU-375 G3X display for GPS and XM. I just bought a GNS-430W and would like to use the GA 57X on the 430W because of the antenna's location on the top of the fuselage. I would then move the G3X display over to a glareshield mounted GA 26C or something like that.
The electrical specs for the GA 57X and the GA 35 (the normal 430W antenna) seem to match up very closely. Wondering if there are any hidden gotchas here?

Pretty sure the GA57X is not a WAAS antenna.

Hmmmm . . . . . well .... the GPS in the G3x unit is a WAAS GPS, so I would think that it's antenna would be as well. Is there actually such a thing as a "WAAS" antenna - or is it just a sensitivity spec of some sort?

Approved antennas are listed in the install manual.
The GA35, 36, 37 and a few Comant Comdat antennas are the only ones on the list.

TSO'd ?

Approved antennas are listed in the install manual.
The GA35, 36, 37 and a few Comant Comdat antennas are the only ones on the list.

I saw the lists in both the 400W series and GDU-375 install manuals. I am assuming the GA 57X is not TSO'd (the price would suggest it is not). I was just struck by the almost identical electrical specs for both antennas (gain, frequency range, voltage, current, etc.). Thought it might be a "certified" vs "experimental" thing rather than an actual technical issue.

It may not be a technical issue, but it is a legal one if you use it for IFR. You need to be able to show that the antenna at least meets the TSO performance specs. How you do that, I haven't a clue.

Back