What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fuel senders

philb

Well Known Member
Friend
Hi All,

just sending in wing order, and wanted to make sure resistive senders are still only option? Searching the forums, no note of capacitive senders available...

Anybody know of folks looking at developing capacitive? would hold off on ordering resistive if thought something new on the horizon...

phil
kslc

Now this is my naivete' here...

I simply "assumed" that VAn had a cap option for the 10!

Anyone care to venture a guess why he doesn't offer it? I can't think of a reason why.

Also, why couldn't you order the cap kit for another kit and fit it to the -10 tank?

:confused: CJ

try this - skysports

i used these capacitive fuel senders from skysports. they custom make them, so they take a bit to get to you. i got some with the first 6 inches bendable, and then 20 or so inches that measure fuel. i have them running diagonally through the first two bays of the fuel tank, so they should be pretty accurate. look here http://www.airstuff.com/fuelmon.html for the senders. my install looks like this
http://www.perfectlygoodairplane.net/FuelTanks/tanks5.htm

haven't flown yet, so we'll see. i tested the senders after i bent them though, and they work. yay.

cj

Van's says Still No Capacitive Sender for the RV-10

Here's an email I shot off to Vans...

On 16 Jan 07, at 9:31, Lanier, Mark wrote:

Are capacitive senders offered for the RV-10 tanks?​

Vans replied as follows...

Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 6:27 PM
To: Lanier, Mark
Subject: Re: Capacitive Senders for RV-10

Mark,
Not at this time.
Thanks

Joe
Vans Aircraft​

Reviving this thread: anyone with more recent info. I checked the Evan's Aviation site and they apparently don't sell the mod; they just build it into the tank for you if you pay them to build your tanks. Reading the page on the mod, they say the kit is from Van's, so I suspect they are using the probes for one of the other models. I like the ones that cj linked to but his page is no longer available and I'd like to see an actual installation before I commit. Or, anyone else who has an installation and really likes how it works, please post your info here.

SkySports probes

We're in the same position as CJ above. We have installed SkySports capacitive probes and we have tested ours with gas in the tank, but not yet hooked it up to our Grand Rapids EIS nor flown yet.

Ours are a little shorter than his and just cover the first bay of the tank (diagonally).

TDT
[email protected]

I'd buy a kit for one of the other RV's for the mounting hardware and wiring, and a sheet of whatever thickness aluminum the plates are made of and fabricate plates to fit on the RV-10 ribs. IIRC, you just need a 3/16" gap between the edge of the plate and the tank skin and stiffeners.

I am just starting my tanks and am wondering if anyone has used the Vans capacitance fuel level sender kit they sell for the -9, on the -10, or one of the other units by Westach, Skysports, or another source? We used Westach capacitance senders in the Cozy MKIV fed to the B/M EFIS and really like the accuracy, so I would prefere to install them in my -10 tied into Dynon Skyview. I am not at all crazy about the per-plans resistive float system for the -10.

David, I am just about to take Matt up on his offer (posted above). I had been researching this and had just about selected another brand but I found out that the EI senders are known to work with a G900, even though Garmin does not have data on the -10 specifically. However, knowing that 1) Garmin and EI work together and 2) an EI employee is on VAF gives me a good feeling that I can get things working together. So my suggestion is to talk to Dynon (or your panel builder, if you're going that route) and see what they recommend.

Back