What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

master switch and VP-X

One Tenth the Cost

The beauty of the VP-X system is that it handles all the high current switching loads. You are free to use simple, inexpensive, low current switches to actuate all functions.

The switch you depicted would, in my opinion, be overkill. You can buy this one for 1/10th the cost and it will perform just as well. It is not a locking switch but, properly located on your panel you really don't need that function either.

Every switch on my panel is just a simple SPST toggle switch like this one.

SPST%20Toggle_zpsutovsozj.png

bb74e199-23d0-4f31-8e74-beee4da56ab1_zpszsl0gwy9.jpg

thanks

Thanks for your replies.
I want locking type switches for these two so I think that's what I'll be using depite the high price tag.
Alain.

master and Alternator

I use the VPX as well and I would recommend you use a single throw double pole switch for the master. This allows you to route the alternator ground through one of the poles on the master so that you never inadvertently turn on the alternator without the master on as well. In the picture below the VPX J2 plug is on the right.

VPX%2BMaster%2Bswitch.png

I used a traditional cessna split master/alternator switch as I'm kinda accustomed to it from all the spam cans. It is a little pricey though.

cessnasplitswtchR.jpg

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/cessnasplit.php?clickkey=210834

If you decide to use the cessna split switch, dont forget to order the mounting bracket like I did.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/housingmntmasterswitch.php?recfer=26294

The split master will cost less than the two locking toggles. That said, I used regular toggles for master and alternator, and locking toggles for the mags.

The beauty of the VP-X system is that it handles all the high current switching loads. You are free to use simple, inexpensive, low current switches to actuate all functions.

The switch you depicted would, in my opinion, be overkill. You can buy this one for 1/10th the cost and it will perform just as well. It is not a locking switch but, properly located on your panel you really don't need that function either.

Every switch on my panel is just a simple SPST toggle switch like this one.

SPST%20Toggle_zpsutovsozj.png

Yea 1/10 the cost... and likely 1/10 the quality (if that) as well :eek:
(20K+ on avionics most likely and it all relies on the cheapest $5 POS switch you could find)
Please don't compare a Honeywell mil-spec switch to a $5 carling, they aren't even related.

Last edited:
Maybe?

Well, maybe Walt but since Stein sells the thing I'd hope it's pretty good stuff. These SPST switches aren't rocket science ya know!

Why is the VPX panel switch issue misconstrued again and again?

Yea 1/10 the cost... and likely 1/10 the quality (if that) as well :eek:
(20K+ on avionics most likely and it all relies on the cheapest $5 POS switch you could find)
Please don't compare a Honeywell mil-spec switch to a $5 carling, they aren't even related.

The actual device current switching is done inside the VPX, not through the panel switch. The panel switch simply sends a simple ground signal to VPX to activate devices internally, wired separately. Isn't your comparison like buying a Porsche to travel 1/4 mile to the train station? :)

If actual device current were traveling through these VPX panel switches your point would be valid, IMHO.

Well, maybe Walt but since Stein sells the thing I'd hope it's pretty good stuff. These SPST switches aren't rocket science ya know!

I love Stein but I'll have to have a talk with him about these :rolleyes:
If they are used for a NON Essential circuits no biggie, but master, alternators, mags switches etc. are anything but.

As Stein would say.. just my 2c

The actual device current switching is done inside the VPX, not through the panel switch. The panel switch simply sends a simple ground signal to VPX to activate devices internally, wired separately. Isn't your comparison like buying a Porsche to travel 1/4 mile to the train station? :)

If actual device current were traveling through these VPX panel switches your point would be valid, IMHO.

Not at all, most inexpensive switch failures are mechanical failures not contact related, so current flow has nothing to do with it except that it stops when the switch fails.

This is true for all the switches except the master switch. The master switch provides ground to the battery contactor. Then the battery contactor provides power to the Vertical Power and VP provides power to everything else. The Master switch does not go thru the VPX.

This is true for all the switches except the master switch. The master switch provides ground to the battery contactor. Then the battery contactor provides power to the Vertical Power and VP provides power to everything else. The Master switch does not go thru the VPX.

So my initial question still stands:
Can I use the switch in my original post http://www.steinair.com/storedetail.cfm?productid=354 for the master switch??
The answer could be in the description on Steinair's website where it says " Commonly used as Ignition Switches, Avionics Masters, etc..", but I would like to have the opinion of electicity gurus out there.
Thanks.
Alain.

I would feel more than confident using that switch for the Master, but I'm no electric guru. I called Stein and asked him when I was in doubt about what switches or panel parts to use.;)

The master switch needs to be appropriately rated for the load as we are switching the actual contactor, and not on the ground/signal side of the VPX. All other switches are up to the user, but master needs to be appropriate for the power.

The master switch needs to be appropriately rated for the load as we are switching the actual contactor, and not on the ground/signal side of the VPX. All other switches are up to the user, but master needs to be appropriate for the power.

Good point, and I'm pretty sure mine master is appropriately rated but, based on this helpful discussion I will double check. To be clear, my installed switches aren't the $5 ones on Stein's site but they look similar. The guy that built my plane did a bang-up job on all the wiring and avionics so I'm guessing he chose good switches.

Love all the helpful advice and expert feedback on this website. Thanks VAF!
Randy

Back