What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3J1

CFI1513840

Well Known Member
I'm relocating to Beaufort County next year and would like to base my RV-7 at the Ridgeland airport 3J1. During a recent visit to the airport, I was advised that a new runway and T-hangar construction are planned and scheduled to occur in the near future. So far I haven't had any luck contacting anyone at 3J1 to obtain details or get on the hangar waiting list. If anyone has any information regarding 3J1, please contact me via PM.

Define "near"

Couple forum members fly out of there. I fly gliders up there...I guess it would depend on your definition of "near" future. I was told if ground was broke inside of a year people would be surprised. Hopefully others will know more.

I think "Spring" was mentioned. I'm moving to St. Helena Island next July. I'm on the waiting list at KARW, but that doesn't look too promising for the next few years at least, based on the number of people ahead of me. Ridgeland would be a great alternative if they build new hangars. I'm not looking forward to a 3 1/2 hour commute back to KHQU.

Last edited:
I'm relocating to Beaufort County next year and would like to base my RV-7 at the Ridgeland airport 3J1. During a recent visit to the airport, I was advised that a new runway and T-hangar construction are planned and scheduled to occur in the near future. So far I haven't had any luck contacting anyone at 3J1 to obtain details or get on the hangar waiting list. If anyone has any information regarding 3J1, please contact me via PM.

I'll PM in a few minutes but Tom of TSFlightLines and I are both based there, along with several other RVs.

Thanks Ray. I would also be interested in possibly sharing hangar space until a T-hangar is available.

Hey Ken-
Yep they are going to expand our little airport. St Helena Island is 45 minutes from Ridgeland on a good day, and depending on where on the island you are. KARW is ok, but the waiting list and restrictions dont work for alot of us.

WE have several RV's based there, along with some GA hardware. A&P and RV builder Dennis 'Gunz" Argetsinger is there all the time. Ray is also there alot for electrical and avionics stuff.

Come on out.
Tom

The major improvement program for 3J1 has been approved and initial funding is in hand. The plans include an all new runway of at least 4,200' with GPS approaches, a large new operations building, a ramp area, and a comprehensive fueling center. Major land purchases are underway and most of the airspace easements have been contracted. The grading, fencing, taxiway, and runway designs are approved; first grading is expected in the spring of 2016. Two large new hangars on the current airport property have recently been approved. The County Administration expects to build hangars in the large new ramp area to demand. Both large commercial and private T-hangars are anticipated, but the ownership/operational model for them has not yet been determined---the Administration is open to the wishes of the regional flying community.

The airfield will be operated by Jasper County with the stated objective of being one of the most user friendly airports in the southeastern United States. They are actively encouraging and pursuing aviation related business interest in the facility.

In the meantime, there is some turnover in hangar space availability on a fairly regular and orderly basis at the airport. If you get a chance to come out, just ask around---everyone knows everyone. For example, I have room for one renter in my hangar and my current renter (RV-6) is departing at the end of the year. I'm pretty sure that there are other slots available as well, probably sooner. People are rapidly catching on to 3J1: Two existing hangars sold outright during the last month. FYI: The famous Tom of TS Flightlines is currently building his RV-7 in my hangar, so it's definitely an RV friendly location. For that matter, one F1 Rocket, one RV-8, two RV-9's, and one RV-12 have been built on the field. Another two RV-7's and two RV-8s are underway.

Lee...

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks everyone for your responses. It sounds promising! I'm just starting my condition inspection. When I'm back in the air I plan on heading down your way.

Back