What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EXP2BUS Quandry

bluebrear

The newly purchased EXP is mounted on my 9A panel as I continue to wire circuits.
Upon reading the wiring instructions, and noting that I am using an external master solenoid, the directions said to remove the onboard solenoid (relay) and install the "manufacturer supplied" jumper.
Well, I called the company. The tech was at lunch and would call me back.
That was last week and many unanswered telephone calls and emails from me and the vendor to the supplier.
At this point, I am at a halt.
Can anyone out there provide info on the jumper, where I can get one or what contacts I can jump solder.
The manufacturer supplier is unavailable for some reason.
Thanks to anyone for some clues.
Gary

The newly purchased EXP is mounted on my 9A panel as I continue to wire circuits.
Upon reading the wiring instructions, and noting that I am using an external master solenoid, the directions said to remove the onboard solenoid (relay) and install the "manufacturer supplied" jumper.
That was last week and many unanswered telephone calls and emails from me and the vendor to the supplier.
Can anyone out there provide info on the jumper, where I can get one or what contacts I can jump solder.
Gary

This response is going to be utterly useless, so I apoligize for that in advance.....but do yourself a huge favor and just put in normal switches and fuses and/or CB's. In the end it'll be cheaper, lot's and lot's better, and you'll save yourself a lot of grief (I can guarantee you this won't be your last challenge with this thing). You'll notice we don't sell/service/install those (we do remove them though)....there's a reason for that!:)

Sorry I didn't help you out with your specific question....but I'm just trying to save you some more heartburn.

Cheers,
Stein

2nd Stein's advise.

I Have the EXP2 Bus and will at some point redo my panel as recommended above. Mine is functional, but has required a lot of effort to fully utilize. I ended up with remote swiches, and added extra busses for accessories anyway. The extra connections added to the complexity of my installation. I don't see any advantage over standard electrical plans. Read the AeroElectric connection.

It only took me about 30 seconds to bring up complete instructions on my droid based phone including complete instruction and a diagram on page 10 of how and where to wire the jumper. Search EXP BUS and find the Anywheremap related website. Mine has worked flawlessly for 220 hours in my day/ night VFR RV8. I consider it an inexpensive and simple time saver.

Has worked for me over 2000 hours (with external contactor

It only took me about 30 seconds to bring up complete instructions on my droid based phone including complete instruction and a diagram on page 10 of how and where to wire the jumper. Search EXP BUS and find the Anywheremap related website. Mine has worked flawlessly for 220 hours in my day/ night VFR RV8. I consider it an inexpensive and simple time saver.

Got over 2000 hours on one.

Added (or was it removed???) the piece of wire that is a jumper for the external contactor.

It was documented back in 2002 when I did it.

Even though I agree with Stein that you are probably better off with the flexibility you get with fuse blocks (my second project has Z-14 from AeroElectric Connection), this device **CAN** be quite useful if properly applied.

It works fine for a simple installation. Of course mine grew a bit more complex over time and I in fact did add fuse blocks, but the original stuff I connected as well as the "Backup Battery Bus" implementation with it still works great.

James

My RV-6 was built with one and while it's worked mostly just fine for 400 hours, I don't especially like it. I too plan to replace it someday with conventional circuit breakers, which I'll feel more comfortable with.

EXP2BUS

Thank you all for your replies. I wonder how many units are out there that function correctly. I've looked at posts since 2006, and it seems there have always been issues from, at least, those respondents.
I did go to the Control Vision Support site, but still have no answer about the relay jumper. The company doesn't respond at all, so where to get this jumper? Or, what terminals to solder?
I would never use this product again, but $460....and then more for switches and CB's.
My recommendation is that Van's or Aircraft Spruce should not sell these products if tech support is not available.
If anyone could advise me about the relay jumper, thanks.
Gary

Contact me and I will see what I can do to help

Thank you all for your replies. I wonder how many units are out there that function correctly. I've looked at posts since 2006, and it seems there have always been issues from, at least, those respondents.
I did go to the Control Vision Support site, but still have no answer about the relay jumper. The company doesn't respond at all, so where to get this jumper? Or, what terminals to solder?
I would never use this product again, but $460....and then more for switches and CB's.
My recommendation is that Van's or Aircraft Spruce should not sell these products if tech support is not available.
If anyone could advise me about the relay jumper, thanks.
Gary

Bluebear ....

First to repeat a couple of points.
1. If you use the fuse block approach you WILL have more flexibility down the road.
2. If you use the EXpBus, you WILL have to study their docs (which could stand some improvement) to get the real value out of it.
3. You will find more support available for the fuse block approach because so many of us exist that use it.

Now, if you contact me offline, I will work with you to sort out the jumper **IF** you have already chosen to go the ExpBus route. (Or if you have a plane with one already and just want the contactor to handle heavier loads and add more stuff (as I did).

James
jclarkmail gmail

I got one from them in 2012 it was $5.00. Unfortunately I did nit take a picture. It is very easy to install. I'll be by the aircraft later I'll try to take picture..

Do a search for multiple posts and opinions. I know of a lot of them that work just fine and have from day one. When they work, they work.
Simple, easy, and if it fits your application, great.
If you have an issue down the road in your electrical system you need to track down, good luck.
I tore mine out and could not be happier. I would never put one back in.
Customer support is one person who doesn't seem to respond to emails or phone calls.

I have had one in my -4 for 13 years (650 hrs) and it continues to work dependably. I would probably not install one my next airplane only because I am not sure how long Control Vision will be around. Over the years CV provided me with excellent support, but they appear to be impossible to reach lately. Given that, I would like to have a spare expbus in case mine does die. If anyone has a working one they want to sell, please send me a PM
Regards,

EXP2BUS

Thanks again all. Tim at CV did answer an email from the vendor finally indicating they were out of stock of the jumper but would be getting them in soon. When???
About the three contacts under the jumper on page 9; mine has 5 contacts under the on-board relay.
If I had not invested the time and $, I would use fuse block wiring.
Gary

Works fine

I had one in my 7 with 800 hours and is still flying. It worked fine but took some time to get it right. I had to send it back twice to get the poly fuses upgraded to handle the amperage of the avionics. Not a big problem. It does have some limitations.

I think the EXP was state of the art 12+ years ago. There is a common theme here. PLEASE do yourself a favor and go to conventional switches and breakers now. The additional work will be well worth it in the end.

Installed the EXPBUS in my -6 and have over 1,000 hours on the aircraft now. It has worked well since installation, but it has had some config issues during that phase.

My Pro/Con List:
1. Plug and play buss system and Annunciation panel (if you purchase that option).
2. Looks professionally done.:rolleyes:
3. Rocker switches are cheap in construction and have failed over time.
4. You are locked into Control Visions technology and support structure.
5. IMHO the company lacks good technical support both on this product as well as others they offer.
6. It's a light duty buss system and probably should not be used to support an IFR mission (although I know those that do use it that way).
7. The documentation was a bit hard to follow at times.
8. Once installed it's worked without failure.

Would I do it again? Probably not, but only due to electrical buss technology progress over the years. I'll remove this system later in the year when the entire panel undergoes and upgrade.

Bump. Time to resurrect this thread:

October 10 2015 I sent an email to Control Vision as I see there is place to add an Over Voltage protection, but no reply received from the company.

This week I powered up the RV-9A I am building and none of the avionics lit up, so a bit of measuring and I found with the Avionics Master off; there is reverse current on the AVMSW terminal. With Avionics Master ON; AB 1 through 6 and CDEL all have 0.02 Volts.

INS LTS has 13 Volts and INST has zero Volts.

Obviously the unit is faulty, but Control Vision does not talk to their customers.

Anybody have a contact that I can call direct?

Thanks, Chalkie.

Gary

They expect you to manufacture it.

EXP2BUS is cute and relatively cheap.

My experience was smoke in cockpit, lots of it. Fortunately it happened during taxi to runway. Turned out to be a part on annunciator board, they replaced it but I never used that feature again.

I cut power, shut down engine, and evacuated airplane pronto. It could have been a fire...will never know, so glad it happened on ground.

Bump. Time to resurrect this thread:

October 10 2015 I sent an email to Control Vision as I see there is place to add an Over Voltage protection, but no reply received from the company.

This week I powered up the RV-9A I am building and none of the avionics lit up, so a bit of measuring and I found with the Avionics Master off; there is reverse current on the AVMSW terminal. With Avionics Master ON; AB 1 through 6 and CDEL all have 0.02 Volts.

INS LTS has 13 Volts and INST has zero Volts.

Obviously the unit is faulty, but Control Vision does not talk to their customers.

Anybody have a contact that I can call direct?

Thanks, Chalkie.

Hi Chalkie,

When I last thought I had an issue with my EXP2Bus (2009), I spoke with Tim at Control Vision. He provided excellent support even though the problem turned out to be unrelated to the EXP2BUS. Good luck.

Tim Fontenot
Control Vision
1902 E. 27th Terrace
Pittsburg KS 66762-0596
620-231-6647 x9108

Dean Pichon

I suspect they're no longer in business since none of the phone numbers seem to work. I tried all of the numbers listed today with no luck. My old EXPBUS finally died and is holding my entire electrical system hostage in an AOG state. Going to try the EXPBUS 2 when it gets here....if no joy....going to go back to basics and keep it simple like Stein says.

I have one in my 2004 RV6. I like it, but they do require a good understanding of what they are, what they are intended for, and how they work. They are like owning an older British car. If you are not smarter than it; you will think it is junk.

Understanding what these board/buss systems is the easy part..but without a descent schematic of the board and its three installed relays,coupled with what seems to be no factory support can make it difficult. Simple systems with breakers and buss bars are much more simple to maintain in the field...requiring little or no maintenance. Just like magnetos..they're a tried and proven ignition system..so why mess with it. The idea of removing breakers and isolating avionics and other sensitive electronics from loads of the engine start cycle can be done by simply turning these item off awhile starting the airplane. If a soldered in relay on the board ,or some other component on the board dies while away from home....you could get stranded. Unless you understand how the board works ....jump your start relay and fly home with your iPad and compass. A simple failure of a breaker might leave you without nav or landing lights,or worse maybe a com radio, but you will make it home and repairs will cost much less..If I've learned anything in 39 years of maintaining and rebuilding aircraft.....keep it simple and safe! P.S. I restored two Triumph TR6's years ago and loved them....one was a 75.. the other was a 76 with factory overdrive. Great cars!

Last edited:
I need a relay jumper for the control vision exp2,,,,anyone have one.704-438-1222. Dues pd 2019

Recalling from memory, as I tore mine out, the jumper is just a wire, or wires, soldered across some pads on the board. Perhaps someone here has the instructions.

Hi Randy I have a jumper for the EXP BUS 2 , I can take a picture and send to you if that would help, because I'm not sure at this stage if Ill need mine. craig

Re: Exp2Bus Relay Jumper

Hi Craig,

I'm interested in the Exp2Bus jumper relay if you still have it and would be willing to part with it. I could probably wire a jumper to the back of the board but this would be simpler and ensure that it is done correctly.

On another note, I plan on using a 60 amp alternator and external master relay which means that at some point I could exceed the 40 amp current capacity of the Exp2Bus. However, I have a copy of the old Exp Bus manual from many years ago which indicates that that board was capable of handling 60 amps. This part of the paragraph was removed in the Exp2Bus manual but I can't imagine that this capability would have been designed out with the design updates to the new version. Do you happen to know if 60 amps would really be an issue when using an external relay. I'll probably never exceed even 50 amps but it would be nice to know if ever exceeding 40 amps would be a problem.

David

David

Back