What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Auto pilot

Mel Penney

I'm New Here
I am in the process of finishing an RV-8.

I would like to hear your opinions on what Auto Pilot that should be considered.

Thanks,

Mel

It depends on what instrumentation you already have installed. I've flown in some RV-9A's equipped with the Grand Rapids Technologies EFIS. This system can be used to drive their A/P servos. ( http://grtavionics.com/default.aspx?id=48 ) If you want something independent, TruTrak has what I hear to be a very good stand-alone A/P that would add some redundancy ( http://www.trutrakflightsystems.com/products/ADI_Pilot_II.html ).

If you'd prefer something "traditional", I have a new STec 30 autopilot with an install kit specifically for the RV-8 I've been trying to sell. ( http://www.chiefaircraft.com/st-sys-30.html ) I could make you a deal that would be comparable to what you could get from GRT or TruTrak....

I'm happy with the Trio EZ-pilot in my RV-8a and plan to upgrade to their Pro-Pilot at some point. It seems that the main experimental autopilot guys are all good. I chose Trio because I believe their servos are superior.

I second Guy's post. I've flown behind TruTrak and Trio and I prefer (and installed) a Trio.
1. + The Trio shows more indicators, has more buttons, which makes it easier to understand. These autopilots have so many features that they are not absolutely straightforward to use.
2. + I like the clutch in the Trio's servos
3. + I like the autotrim in the Trio, and the fact that you can use it when hand-flying and can program it to run slowly at high speeds.
4. - The TT is physically smaller, less panel space.
5. + tie breaker: Trio recently cut prices, like $1K. You can have a GRT system with one AHRS and a Trio for about the same price as a GRT system with two AHRS and GRT autopilot. e.g., almost but not quite the same redundancy, about the same price. TT is now significantly more expensive.

Perhaps the most helpful info will be from pilots who have flown behind multiple systems. I'm not such a pilot.

I installed a second/third hand TruTrak DFC-250 and am very happy. While the RV's don't need clutched servos, the unit I purchased had a high torch clutch servo for roll.

In my opinion, the best AP is the one you can afford to install.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has gone from a TT auto pilot to the Dynon Skyview set up.

Perhaps the most helpful info will be from pilots who have flown behind multiple systems. I'm not such a pilot.

I installed a second/third hand TruTrak DFC-250 and am very happy. While the RV's don't need clutched servos, the unit I purchased had a high torch clutch servo for roll.

In my opinion, the best AP is the one you can afford to install.

Glen, just for clarification, TruTrak servos do not have a clutch (unless something new has been added recently). I have flown with TruTrak, Navaid, and Trio servos in my plane (not all at the same time!). Am presently flying the Trio Pro Pilot, a fine system indeed.

Glen, just for clarification, TruTrak servos do not have a clutch (unless something new has been added recently). I have flown with TruTrak, Navaid, and Trio servos in my plane (not all at the same time!). Am presently flying the Trio Pro Pilot, a fine system indeed.

Actually, the big servos (though MASSIVELY oversized for an RV) do....those are normally in jets and such.

Regarding which AP, this cannot be a simple answer until we know what else is in the plane. Trutrak has the lead by a huge margin (their servos in the field are now counted in the 10's of thousands), but trio makes fine autopliots and also has equally great folks. It really depends an awful lot on the other equipment in the plane before anyone could give a really accurate answer. You won't go wrong with either - but the decision should not be made until we have more info!

Cheers,
Stein

Last edited:
I flew my -7 with Trio AP and gold servo (single axis - roll) for about a year. I was perfectly satisfied with the Trio. It interfaced with my Lowrance 2000c GPS with no problems and tracked a flight plan perfectly.

When it was time to add the pitch servo, I sold my Trio and purchased two Dynon servos (dual axis - pitch and roll). Installation was straight forward, and the Dynon seems to do just fine. After a few tweeks to dial in the airplane, the Dynon pitch and trim seem to be right on the money. I don't have the Dynon AP module - I run my AP directly from the Dynon EFIS. As with the Trio, I'm also satisfied with the performance of the Dynon AP.

FWIW, I've done cross country flights from Washington State to Oshkosh, Utah, California, Texas, Arizona.... The AP definitely gets it's share of PIC time!;)

As has been mentioned, both TT and Trio make good autopilots - as do Dynon, MGL and GRT if you use the EFIS units they sell with built-in A/P capability. All the servos work, and once you install them, you won't know or worry about what you can't see.

The real question comes with "what else is in your panel" - different A/P's integrate in different ways with the various EFIS units - in fact, some are designed to perfectly mesh with some EFIS's - so don't pick an A/P "in a vacuum" so to speak....decide on a package that gives the most bang for the buck.

Paul

Just an FYI - Stein is correct. When I purchased my used AP, I called TruTrak to order a connection rod. When I asked about the clutch vs non-clutch servo the first question was "did the unit come out of a Lanceair ?" "yes it did.". "well, itvwill work fine but is overkill."

Lucas and the gang at TruTrak know their equipment well!

If I had anything in my panel other than traditional round gauges, I would have followers Paul's line of thinking and seen what integrated with thecexisting equipment.

BTW, the reverse to Paul's advise is true. Now that I have a TruTrak AP, I am looking at what works well with it as I contemplate panel upgrades.

GRT Autopilot

Had a Trutrak ADI 2 autopilot system in my RV-7A for three years and it worked very well and great in turbulence.

Last winter I upgraded my panel and put in a second GRT Sport EFIS and installed the then new GRT autopilot servos and the optional vertical and Airinc modules and also a Garmin 420 WAAS GPS.

I am truly impressed with the performance of this system, if I had autothrottle it would almost be as good as the 747-400 I used to fly.

Besides climb/descents to selected altitudes etc etc the GRT autopilot after being properly adjusted (and that took a bit of time) fly's a great ILS or GPS LPV approach and when you push the "Missed" button does a missed approach, climbing on runway heading at 500 ft/min untill appropriate buttons are pushed and then it goes to the pre-set altitude and enters the holding pattern. Oh did I mention that I still have to push the throttle up on the go around.

Some may want a redundant autopilot system, I think I have this covered with either GRT Sport able to control the servos

Great equipment at reasonable cost and I am looking forward to future touch screen instrument panels where you just slide your finger across the touch screen to the depicted waypoint or altitude and the aircraft goes there!!

Back