What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flight planning software?

airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
Foreflight just went up 20% on the subscription rates effective yesterday.

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/foreflight-raises-subscription-prices-by-20-percent-as-of-today/

That brings up the question of what flight planning software to use, a good value for the dollar. Currently I have a subscription to both Foreflight and Weathermeister, but the only thing I use Foreflight for, at ALL, is the ability to have it on my phone and file an IFR flight plan from anywhere. I use Weathermeister for all planning purposes and it's by far the best weather/forecast tool I've found so far.

Is there another tool others use for mobile IFR filing? Really that's all I use Foreflight for right now, at $120/year. That just hit my flinch point.

Believe it or not, I use good old Leidos Flight Service (aka 1800wxbrief). I use GarminPilot as my EFB and EZWxBrief for my initial wx planning, but I file using Leidos.

Foreflight just went up 20% on the subscription rates effective yesterday.

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/foreflight-raises-subscription-prices-by-20-percent-as-of-today/

That brings up the question of what flight planning software to use, a good value for the dollar. Currently I have a subscription to both Foreflight and Weathermeister, but the only thing I use Foreflight for, at ALL, is the ability to have it on my phone and file an IFR flight plan from anywhere. I use Weathermeister for all planning purposes and it's by far the best weather/forecast tool I've found so far.

Is there another tool others use for mobile IFR filing? Really that's all I use Foreflight for right now, at $120/year. That just hit my flinch point.

I've used FlyQ EFB from Seatle Avionics for many years. When I started using an EFB, I used the 1-month trial of FlyQ, Garmin Pilot, and Foreflight to compare. FlyQ was the winner for me. I purchased a lifetime subscription(on black Friday) 5-6 years ago for VFR/IFR along with lifetime Dynon maps for $349(each) and I've never regretted it.

Interestingly, Seatle Avionics was acquired in 2020 by AFV Partners. I was originally concerned about this I have the lifetime subscriptions, but after researching Tony Aquila who founded AFP partners, I suspect the acquisition will only strengthen Seatle over the long run. AFP also owns RocketRoute, so expect they have a plan for integration.

Last edited:
I looked at fltplan.com, but it doesn't recognize my private home airport. I sent an email to their support group asking WTF on that one. Obviously I can't use a filing tool that doesn't recognize the primary use airport.

I use Weathermeister to plan and fltplan.go or fltplan.com to file.

Fltplan is free!

ed: Saw your issue with fltplan. bummer

I use Weathermeister to plan and fltplan.go or fltplan.com to file.

Fltplan is free!

ed: Saw your issue with fltplan. bummer

Got a message back from fltplan.com support - they'll have it in the database in about a week - so that's a positive in their favor.

When Boeing bought Jeppesen, the price of Jepp charts skyrocketed and I quit using them. Then the government charts copied some of the Jepp features, and the differences became minor.

What do I use foreflight for?
* Winds aloft at my home airport
* Maps that show VFR/IFR so I get some feel for the weather
* Predictive storm position, an hour in advance
* Maps of gas prices so I can choose stops on longer trips

I use flight following all the time rather than flight plans, and rarely have an IFR flight plan with enough detail to justify uploading -- which my plane can't do.

I hate to be cynical, but it looks like Boeing bean counters at work -- especially a price hike with no warning. Maybe they spent too much money on bells and whistles and European coverage and now need to shore up the bottom line...

Foreflight is usable on the iPhone, but the web version is *terrible*, and they don't seem to care.

Last edited:
WingX

I had ForeFlight for years, but I moved to WingX Pro, much cheaper. A small transition learning curve, but works great for me. I’ve been using WingX for 8 years.

I use Weathermeister, Skyvector.com and Windy.com. I have the lifetime subscription to Seattle Avionics but when they shelved Voyager I didn't switch to the new system because it's IOS based and I'm an Android/PC guy.

-Marc

I think I am in the minority here but I just paid last month for the foreflight $299 package with the 3-D flight preview and replay. I have garmin pilot too - but it isnt half the program foreflight is - or maybe I just dont know how to use all of it. When my garmin pilot expires I will not renew.

Im still setting up foreflight and learning it so I cant comment on all the things it can do but I do like watching a flight path in 3-D at an airport I have not flown into and reviewing my flights. As a student pilot, that is a big help.

Rock wood - I think u are in the silent majority, as am I. $20 extra for a year in todays world ??? A pittance.

Some of us have been flying RVs for more than 20-years. I started using Foreflight in May 2011 when I got my first iPad 2. The money saved on buying paper charts and pilot guides would pay for Foreflight subscription and a new iPad every other year. I had maps and books for the entire lower 48 US states so I could fly anywhere. I was also able to stop using Jeppesen Flightstar flight planning software on a computer.

Other than going to a more expensive plan, I think this is the first price increase for Foreflight since I started using it.

I have learned that the cheapest thing about flying is the pilot.

Last edited:
I have iFlyGPS because the plane has a iFly 740 GPS. I never use the EFB on my iPad or phone as it has its quirks that limit its usefulness. Company has been promising a new version for over a year now and still cant deliver. I view it as a freebie because I pay for the GPS updates.

I use FF, but disappointed that they dropped my tier after almost 11 years of loyalty. I did renew last week to the lower basic plus level after dropping my Pro version.

I have used FltPlanGo in the past as a backup, not very intuitive but does the job for free.

Likewise, I am looking what else is out there. Overall I dont mind paying for a product that works. I just dont want to keep getting charged for bloatware that is not targeted for the GA pilot.

I use Garmin Pilot, Fltplan.com and skyvector.com as my primary tools. I also make use of the various products available from weather.gov, especially the hourly forecast graphs and of course the surface prog charts.

I run a fleet of three corporate jets and own an RV-10. We use FltPlan.com for filing and weather and Foreflight basic service for charts and planning.

I looked at fltplan.com, but it doesn't recognize my private home airport. I sent an email to their support group asking WTF on that one. Obviously I can't use a filing tool that doesn't recognize the primary use airport.

IDK if this would be the problem you’re having or not, but it took me a while to figure out with FltPlan that you need to put a k in front of all airport identifiers. Even ones with numbers. No idea why.

It's too bad that Foreflight has decided to increase their price, again and such a big increase. I've been in the software business (cyber security) for about 25 years now and I see some of the big names increasing their prices by 10,20, even 30%. I can understand hardware price increases in today's World, but why would software need to go up so high? I'll never understand companies that shoot themselves in the foot by introducing a competitor in to the equation simply because of greed and arrogance. Perfect example here, how many are going to stay with Foreflight and not try something new?

ForeFlight

Im so “thrifty” I squeak when I walk. Retired IT guy, so I know a little something about software development and user interface. I purchased several to try last year, thinking about changing when I found something better. I did not. Saving $20-40 a year in this area of aviation seems worthless to me. Other ways to save if one really needs to recoup the increase. I only purchased basic plan, all I need for VFR flying.

YMMV, I’m sticking with ForeFlight.

$20 extra for a year in todays world ??? A pittance.

Ditto. I've tried several of the competing EFBs, none worked as well as Foreflight. I'll pay a little more to have an EFB that just works.

My preflight wx brief starts with EzWxBrief (flexible pricing, I pay $69/year). My legal brief, filing, and in-flight ops center on Foreflight (with 33% SAFE discount). Using a Flight Stream 210, Foreflight talks to my 530W and ADS-B weather (GDL-88). Using Bluetooth, Foreflight gets XM weather from my GDL-51.

IDK if this would be the problem you’re having or not, but it took me a while to figure out with FltPlan that you need to put a k in front of all airport identifiers. Even ones with numbers. No idea why.
FWIW FltPlanGo is huge in the international market so the ICAO prefix "K" is needed to separate US airports from airports in other countries. I ditched Foreflight for the free FltPlanGo app years ago and have never regretted the decision.

:cool:

I can understand hardware price increases in today's World, but why would software need to go up so high?

In today's World, we have inflation pretty much across the board. Costs are rising everywhere and that includes payroll costs. I have ALWAYS been a fan of ForeFlight and have found their constant improvements to be one of the things that sets them apart from others. I have always thought my "bang for the buck" has been well worth it. Even with a $20 increase, my opinion hasn't changed, still a bargain for what you get.

I can understand hardware price increases in today's World, but why would software need to go up so high? ?

Because they can. Good old fashioned greed. They see the prices of everything else going up and figure most will just accept it as the norm; They are rising with the tide. Also, I believe Boeing bought this with the intent of serving the corporate market. I suspect they will keep raising the price until it matches what that market will bear and doubt they care that the GA market will disappear. Or maybe everything is going up to help cover the costs of the 737 MAX fiasco. I suspect major lawsuits are looming.

Personally I see this as egregious and plan to look for an acceptable alternate. I was a loyal customer, but this is too much for me. I used the cheaper, basic plan that they have now eliminated, so the increase for me is very large ($50)

Larry

Last edited:
I have been using Weathermiester.com and FlyQ for many years. FlyQ every year offers very discounted yearly subscription renewals several times a year. I typically buy a few years at a time and I end up getting it at a significant discount over the list price. Even though I have worked 37 years for Boeing, I have always thought that Boeing buying Foreflight was not a good thing for general aviation. They are a big company with no interest in small aviation.
FlyQ works great and continues to add new features all the time.

Last edited:
I think I am in the minority here but I just paid last month for the foreflight $299 package with the 3-D flight preview and replay. I have garmin pilot too - but it isnt half the program foreflight is - or maybe I just dont know how to use all of it. When my garmin pilot expires I will not renew.

Im still setting up foreflight and learning it so I cant comment on all the things it can do but I do like watching a flight path in 3-D at an airport I have not flown into and reviewing my flights. As a student pilot, that is a big help.

Same boat as you, I'll happily continue to pay for FF as no other program even comes close. And I use it for everything. It's hard to break old habits of paper for the oldschoolers, but I don't even use paper when flying IFR, just use the notes section, CRAFT, and METAR pages you can write on with an apple pencil. I exclusively use their electronic logbook too. My ONLY knock on FF is that it isn't compatible with Android, so I can't use it on my phone.

If I use LEIDOS 1800WxBrief what am I missing?

Hello All,

It's a bit of an ask since I am coming from the perspective of ignorance about the actual/practical usability of pay for planning systems.

With the FAA's sponsored tool I plan for flights both VFR/IFR and get briefs. SkyVector is sometimes helpful to look up information on airports, and AWC's GFA tool is there when a Wx decision needs fleshing out.

The airplane's avionics (AFS 5XXX series) carry all the maps and FIS brings in current information.

What fundamental function am I missing from the other applications?

Last edited:
Download FF and play for free , you'll find the differences are many and would be a thread drift to cover here. Way more just a flight planning app IMHO.

Cheers

I use Skyvector and Weathermeister for all the flight planning functions, but I need something on my phone where I can file without using a full-blown computer. Weathermeister works well on the phone but I can't file through them. Skyvector can file, but is nearly impossible to use on a phone.

That's the only thing I use Foreflight for, quite literally, is IFR filing from my phone. I don't need to pay $120/year for that.

1800WxBrief on phone

I use Skyvector and Weathermeister for all the flight planning functions, but I need something on my phone where I can file without using a full-blown computer. Weathermeister works well on the phone but I can't file through them. Skyvector can file, but is nearly impossible to use on a phone.

That's the only thing I use Foreflight for, quite literally, is IFR filing from my phone. I don't need to pay $120/year for that.

I tend to carry a small laptop for ease of reading things, but a flight plan can be E-filed on a phone with 1800WxBrief. I know I must be missing something.

Last edited:
I tend to carry a small laptop for ease of reading things, but a flight plan can be filed on a phone with 1800WxBrief. I know I must be missing something.

I think filing in this manner seems to be the OP's best option since he doesn't use EFBs for anything else. I know I've filed with 1800wxbrief before while sitting on the ramp, engines running, then calling for my clearance 30 seconds later. Easy peasy.

Business & mission

I’m a rarity in this group as I use my RV7A for business and it’s owned by the company. Everything is written off. Fly 200-250 hrs/yr in the 7a.
I use the full ForeFlight version and Windy. Have a Garmin subscription for my G3X & 650.

For me, it’s about what works best for my mission, rather than cost. ForeFlight is inexpensive, IMO, and provides consistent added features. Windy does a great job with forecasting and planning - which I use for my non-flying activities (surfing, mtn biking, etc).:)

In today's World, we have inflation pretty much across the board. Costs are rising everywhere and that includes payroll costs.

Yep. Lots of people changing jobs and leaving for new opportunities. Some companies are making good offers; others are, well, not... and wondering why they can't get anyone to come work for them <coughcough>.

95% of the time, "we can't find enough qualified people" means "we don't want to pay enough to hire qualified people"... and the other 5% is HR filtering out the qualified people because they (or their bot) don't understand what they're looking at.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if their payroll costs went up.

Proponent

I’ve used about all of the EFB’s over the years and about 5 years ago settled on Foreflight. They’re all pretty good and will do the basics. Like others have said, a mere pittance in the big picture. I still fly professionally and for me FF does it all. Weather, NOTAMS, expected route clearances, visual depictions of icing, clouds, turbulence, wt. and balance, preferred routes, cheesy 3d pictures, which to me is useless, but that’s just me, easy filing, PDC’s, D-ATIS on my phone and many other very useful things I just use daily.
The tipper for me at this point though is I know FF backwards and forwards and a bump in a reasonable price every 5 years is an acceptable cost of an outstanding product.
For the average VFR flier, I’d just look out the wndows.

GP and FltPlan Go for me

I’ve used Garmin Pilot since it came out and it just gets better and better. Garmin owns FltPlan.com as you already know, but what I haven’t heard anyone mention yet is FltPlan’s charts are VECTOR BASED, not bitmap based. Worded another way, you can enlarge them on a 12” iPad Pro and your client can read them easily from five feet away on the other side of the G-550 sim <grin>. Or when I’m tired I can easily read the chart from FltPlan Go - can zoom in the area I need without further eye strain.

Here’s the VDP portion in Garmin Pilot of the RNAV Y 10L at SFO zoomed in as far as could make it go on my phone - note the jagged lines:

IMG_5572-X3.png

And here is the same chart in FltPlan Go (vector based chart). Just zooming in on the VDP symbol - could have gone in much more to where you wouldn’t know I was looking at the VDP:

IMG_5573-X4.png

In sims I use FltPlan Go charts (free / vector based). In the RV I’m not having to juggle multiple charts in a compressed timeframe, so I end up using GP’s bitmap charts (they’re on the G3X also). All the symbols on the screens look just like my iPad and iPhone apps, and I like that.

My .02 as Stein says….

Stratus Insight

Just got my EAA renewal in the mail a few minutes ago. (BTW Rates go up in April or May so great time to renew)

There is a 30% discount on Stratus Insight EFB. eaa.org/EFB

I haven't used it but may be worth looking at.

Flight software

Skydemon.

In a word. FANTASTIC

Really worth having a look at, I think they still do a months free trial.

Rob

It’s the first price increase in 6 years. So just over 3% per year. Isn’t that the minimum you hope your pay raise is per year? If we deserve 3%, so doesn’t Foreflight. :D

Back