What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Classic Aero Aviator II Seats for RV-8

Luke D

Well Known Member
Advertiser
After a fairly long wait, we are just about ready to take orders for our RV-8 Aviator II seats. These are a complete redesign of our original RV-8 Aviator seats. For those that have been on the list, thanks a bunch for your patience. For those RV-8 builders that don't know about them, I thought I would post some pictures here on VAF to get the word out to you as well.

1737-lrg.jpg

1738-lrg.jpg

I know the two tone gray may be a bit on the basic side for some, but we can of course customize these to your preference. We'll have more details about them soon. In the mean time, ask any questions you might have here, or contact us by phone or email.

Best regards,

Nothing wrong with two-tone gray upholstery. Seem like most builders paint the interior metal of the cockpit gray anyway, and gray goes with any exterior colors too!

Gray is by far our most popular color choice, and it looks great. Sometimes I like to clarify that there are other options though. We occasionally have customers ask if they can have seats made in a different color than the one in the picture on the website:)

Glad the seats are still working well for you Mike. That's been a while since you got those. I still remember your visit!

Hi Jeff,

We don't have very accurate numbers yet on what they will cost to make. For now we are going to sell them at the old prices for the original Aviator seats. Those prices are:

Cloth - $2327
Synthetic leather - $2770
Leather - $2841

- prices shown are for 2 seats

These prices will change after we can nail down our costs a little more accurately.

For those that are not familiar with our seat products, keep in mind that these are our top of the line seats. They include a number of features that are not available from any other seat maker, and these features drive the cost (Aviator II actually includes new features not offered in the original Aviator seats).

We also offer our "Sportsman" seats that are more comparable (price and feature wise) with options from other companies. I mention this because sometimes customers see our Aviator seats, and assume they are the only seats we offer.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Last edited:
Site not updated

Just curious when the site will be updated for the Aviator 2? What are the changes. I need to order seats!

With the horendous Canadian dollar, money for par?;)

Don

Sorry, I probably should have thought my original post out a little better :) I was in a hurry, and thought I would just post a few pictures. I planned to make up a web page with more detail in the next few days. I'll do my best to give the highlights here in a clear and hopefully concise way. I can get a bit wordy sometimes though.

The main goal of the Aviator II seats was to make the most comfortable seat possible. Weight reduction was a secondary goal. Every design is a compromise, and this new seat is just our latest crack at balancing those compromises based on past experience and customer feedback.

One of the compromises we keep running into is the limitations of a "one size fits all" approach. This method is great from a production standpoint. Patterns are re-used and refined. Quality is much easier to control. From a comfort standpoint though, a seat that is completely customized to the individual customer would be the best. An in between option is needed.

In the past we have done our best to deal with this issue through various means. Making custom seat wedges allowed us to control the height and angle of the seat cushion without making custom cushions for each customer. Subtle details of the seat shape really need to change though when the cushion is at different angles. We also allowed the lumber support area to be adjusted up and down. It did not adjust in and out though. Cushion side bolsters are another area where one size does not fit all. Someone with narrow hips does not fit a seat the same way that someone with wider hips does.

We approached the problem with 2 solutions. The first was adjustability where possible. The new seat still has a lubar support that moves up and down, but it can also be swapped out for different sizes and shapes to fit the customer's unique lower back curvature.

The second idea we used is sizes. Just like in shoes, you wouldn't expect a manufacturer to measure your foot and then make a shoe. You also wouldn't expect them to offer only one shoe for everyone. The idea is to have pre-determined patterns for a variety of configurations, and then select the best fit for the customer.

So, these are basically the improvements we've made on the Aviator II in a nut shell (best I could anyway).

PS - the internal frame that we designed for these seats is also slightly lighter than the stock frame, and slightly wider (trade off is it's a little more complex and expensive to make).

Gotta say:

I have the Aviator I seats in my RV-8 (cloth) and I am totally happy with them. 6 years in and I have no complaints, or even suggestions for improvement for my size.

I am 6'1" and 190 lb and the front seat fits me very well. I do have a wedge under it -- I guess someone would have to be really tall before they would use the seat bottom with no wedge.

For the back seat, I have a booster cushion, which works for passengers that are under about 5'9". I have gotten zero complaints from any back-seaters.

So, imagine what these improvements will bring. Lighter is always appreciated, although I don't recall the Aviator I seeming heavy.

I do take the seat back out when I wear a parachute, and instead have a modified Van's backrest that positions me well with my Long Softie. There is an old post about the modification that makes this work well.

We've heard the same thing from many customers like you Steve. We just learn new things over time. The RV-8 Aviator I was one of the earlier designs that we were still offering, and didn't include a few of the newer features we added to the newer seats like the Aviator II.

Here is another quick update to this thread. This is the RV-8 Aviator II rear seat. We should have a new web page for these seats next week.

1744-lrg.jpg

Back