What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smoke system Help

Bones McCoy

Looking for thoughts on smoke system and placement. I am building 8 with an IO360 C1D6 200 HP engine. My engine is 45 pounds heavier than the standard IO360 180 HP. I built my battery compartment in the back of the airplane for better CG. I want to put a smoke system in. Any thoughts on front cargo versus back for the smoke system. Everything I read most folks are happy with smoke helper systems and placement in front cargo. Thanks for your inputs.
Bones

If your a smoking straight pass kind of guy, either or works fine.
If your an acro kind of guy.... Metal c/s, put system in the rear. Composite and put it in the front. FP and either or is fine.
Ultimately, either or works fine and you can shift balance around for needs when flying. Operationally, in the front and leaks make a mess in the wrong places. In the rear, leaks are of no mess to you in the cockpit.
Its easier to fill in the front, easier to clean in the rear.
From a space point of view, in the rear makes for a more effective use of space. In the front really messes up space usage as the small space around the unit left over becomes unusable practically speaking, and leaves a lot of space unusable on the table.
With your setup, Id do rear.

smoke system

The Smoke system helper fits in the front baggage well and does not waste much baggage space in the front. The system is very complete and easy to install. Just my 2 cents.

Kahuna and Nordo Great words! I plan to pull G's as much as possible, Old fighter guys can't walk away. I will look at behind seat purchase.
Copy the messy stuff. Any pointers to minimize the mess?
Bones

Kahuna and Nordo Great words! I plan to pull G's as much as possible, Old fighter guys can't walk away. I will look at behind seat purchase.
Copy the messy stuff. Any pointers to minimize the mess?
Bones

Make sure you don't have any leaks. 😎

Wb

I have an Angle Valve , prop spacer , Hartzell , 3 lb battery behind panel and a 4.5 gallon smoke oil tank located in the rear ( stock battery location )
I'm at the very edge of the WB envelope with the oil tank empty .
Can email you some pics .

Smoke tank location

If I were in your shoes I'd get my build done and calculate a weight and balance report on your specific airplane. Taking into consideration a passengers weight in addition to the the smoke tank weight and 3.5 gallons of smoke oil. As you burn fuel the CG will move as well. The system is pretty simple to install once the ship is built.....by then you'll have accurate numbers to work with..just a thought.

Great stuff! Thanks a million guys for the help, I am concerned about CG so I guess I'll wait till I get the machine flying first.
I'll keep you updated.
Bones

Can someone send pic of where they mounted pump motor in front baggage, I can only assume firewall with doubler plate....this thing is HEAVY and firewall thin

Back