What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CT BLK throttle 47.5 too short?

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Page: FF3-2

I have a standard Vans Throttle Cable as supplied in the FW FWD kit and Vans Experimental Lycoming IO-540 Engine, and my Throttle Cable is too short to bolt to the VA-182 bracket under the sump. I cant even route it as suggest and support it on P Clamps on the engine mount. I made no modification and it is as per plans.

Anyone else experience this, before I bug Vans?

Regards
Rudi

Yeah, that's a pretty common issue. No one knows why Vans would put such short cables in the kit.

Most folks are requesting cables that are a few (~3) inches longer.

Phil

Our Micture cable was too short, just made a new one! As the engine mounts settle the braket was flexing and we would not always get full rich :eek:

Could be a better system I think!

Van's sells a 50.5" listed for a RV-7. That seems to fit perfect for the RV-10. That is what I used. You can return the original one and purchase the 50.5 inch.

Geoff

Phil,

All 3 of mine were too short, but I was able to use the 2 longest ones were the 2 shortest ones were called for. Vans then gave me a new one for the longest. Sorry I don't remember the exact lenghts.

Jim Berry
RV10 Phase 1

Throttle cable too short.

Yes all three cables are too short. I returned all three to Vans for credit and then re-ordered the 50.5" throttle cable from Vans as per Geoff's post above.

I then ordered two new cables (Mix & Prop) directly from the Mfg. and specified the length I wanted. They are a bit pricey (about twice Vans prices) that way but well worth the extra money to get the proper length for proper routing.

Tomorrow when I go to the hangar I will get the lengths I ordered plus the name and contact information for the Manufacturer.

Ivan,

Thanks for research and getting the right numbers for us. I'll probably go ahead and order them now so I don't forget. :)

Thanks again,
Phil

Ivan,

Thanks for research and getting the right numbers for us. I'll probably go ahead and order them now so I don't forget. :)

Thanks again,
Phil

Ivan,

My thanks too! I need to start ordering the FWF components. My engine is suppose to arrive next week.

So you got the headliner installed yet? You've had a whole day... :D

bob

Control Cable order.

Ok Guys here are the details on the engine control cable re-order.

The Mfg. is ACS Products. This company was started by the same man who started Aircraft Spruce and was originally part of that company but is now a separate entity.

These are the part numbers:

Blue Knob VProp A-1760-30-0745-V with 2.5" stroke

Red Knob Mixture A-1760-20-0535-V with 2.5" stroke

This is a special non refundable order at $159.95 each so be sure that this is what you need. The part numbers I have given here gives you cables two inches longer than the cables you get from Vans, this is what I used and they worked fine. If I had to do it again I believe I would, like the throttle cable, make them 3 inches longer which would make the installation even easier.

If you plan a std Vans panel order them 2" longer. If you use CF panel from Aerosport Products order them 3" longer.

To order cables three inches longer change the last number for the blue knob from 0745 to 0755 (75.5") and for the red knob from 0535 to 0545 (54.5")

Keep in mind that if you plan on using the CF instrument panel from http://www.aerosportproducts.com/ then this brings the attach point of these cables in the cockpit back almost one inch which makes longer cables a definite requirement.

To order call Anthony Garcia at Aircraft Spruce at (951) 372-9555 ex. 456 or e-mail him at [email protected] and give him quotation # 249314

Is Vans aware of the problem? I have both the engine and the firewall forward kit and will move my project to the airport in a month so I can hang the engine. It hard to imagine that Vans send wrong cable to all of us!

When I built my RV9A my throttle cable was too short (several others complained about that too). Later I found that I did not read the drawing right, I made the control cable mounting plate flush to the panel and the drawing show it recessed. I don't think it is the case here for RV10. Just curious:confused:

Ted,

I wouldn't call it a problem per se, but there are quite a few "ifs"

if you use Vans panel
if you use the same engine w/same accessories as Vans
if you route the cables the same as Van's plan

Then the supplied cables should work ok.

With engines from a variety of shops, add a variety of accessories, and many routing options it's easy to take a few more inches. Then when you add a panel that is longer with the cables at different mount points, that requires even more length.

bob

In my earlier post I neglected to state the engine I used. It is a Std. IO-540 D4-A5, Std. induction from Aero Sport Power http://www.aerosportpower.com/default.htm I have no experience with other engines so I can't comment on that.

With the installation of this engine the throttle cable is too short for sure. The Mixture and prop cable can be routed to work but the extra length will give you a much better installation with more routing options.

In my earlier post I neglected to state the engine I used. It is a Std. IO-540 D4-A5, Std. induction from Aero Sport Power http://www.aerosportpower.com/default.htm I have no experience with other engines so I can't comment on that.

With the installation of this engine the throttle cable is too short for sure. The Mixture and prop cable can be routed to work but the extra length will give you a much better installation with more routing options.

I had the exact same experience with the exact same engine. The mixture and prop cables work, but there's not enough "slack" to clamp them to the rear part of the engine mount as depicted in Van's drawing (at least I couldn't). Therefore, the cable is unsupported from the firewall to the lower horizontal engine mount bar (below the sump). Should work fine, though.

-Rob

OK, since I posted the original question, i can now give feedback.

I have std Vans supplied Lycoming IO 540, FW FWD packackage, and standard Vans Panel and Cable routing.

I think I solved it, with a little help from vans. The cables need to run OVER the lower mount between the sump and the mount a very narrow space. You will not be able to clamp it as vans suggest in one single spot on the 2nd mount. Look at the drawings.

I clamped mine in 2 spots on the lower mount (throttle and Alt Air together) on the Right hand side AND (Mix and Prop together) on the left hand side.

To do it you need another set of P clamps DG12 and DG6 in combination.

There is almost no slack on the cables and they just make it to the VA-182 Bracket and you can lock them in place

Later I will fit Fuel Servo to see if it works 100% but I feel 99% confident it will work at this stage.

Regards
Rudi

Rudi

I have bad news for you!

Yes it JUST makes it, however, within a small time it gets heat affected and the cable gets damaged.

Go and buy one that is a couple of inches longer and get one with about 2.25" of throw or travel, We could never get full rich or idle cutoff, in fact we do notget the ICO stop....but the fuel does stop. You need to get Full rich all the time.

The mounting bracket will flex and as the engine rubbers settle the braket flexes and you will not get full rich on takeoff.

Ask me how we know.......thank the Dynon folk for all cylinder monitors! I just hope we have no long term affects from the events!

DB:cool:

I think I solved it, with a little help from vans. The cables need to run OVER the lower mount between the sump and the mount a very narrow space.

I thought about doing this, but decided against it. In my case, anyway, there's only about 3/8" clearance between the engine mount tube and the sump, so I was worried about "squeezing" the cable during startup/shutdown.

-Rob

Rudi

I have bad news for you!

Yes it JUST makes it, however, within a small time it gets heat affected and the cable gets damaged.

Go and buy one that is a couple of inches longer and get one with about 2.25" of throw or travel, We could never get full rich or idle cutoff, in fact we do notget the ICO stop....but the fuel does stop. You need to get Full rich all the time.

The mounting bracket will flex and as the engine rubbers settle the braket flexes and you will not get full rich on takeoff.

Ask me how we know.......thank the Dynon folk for all cylinder monitors! I just hope we have no long term affects from the events!

DB:cool:

RV10 OZ, you saying that over the top of bottom mount it runs too close to the engine and get heat affected hence it fails?

Something melts the outer sheath and squashes it.....see the post above yours. I did not replace a cable after 250 hours and leaned out takeoffs because I was bored ;)

What I am saying is run your mixture cable under the engine mount........if that means a new cable so be it. Also check that not mater what you have enough travel. The original one had about 2" total travel, it is not enough. It may vary from one to another throttle body but 2.25" is probably more like it.

I think this is almost worth SB over it from what we experienced. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
About time this was brought back to the surface.

The problem with the cable length/stroke is not something I am letting go of just yet.

The lever on the Precission Airmotive FI units can be changed to one with a smaller radius to the pickup point. This will mean that folk using a throttle quadrant can get the full range from Full Rich to ICO.

I would recomend folk do a double check they are getting full rich on the FI stops before you run out of travel on the lever (engine moves in the mounts and flexes the mounting bracket) as well as getting ICO for shutdown.

When I get the alternate lever arm and test it I will report back again.

Folks at Precission Airmotive were excellent in customer service
2thumbs.gif

OK, since I posted the original question, i can now give feedback.

I have std Vans supplied Lycoming IO 540, FW FWD packackage, and standard Vans Panel and Cable routing.

I think I solved it, with a little help from vans. The cables need to run OVER the lower mount between the sump and the mount a very narrow space. You will not be able to clamp it as vans suggest in one single spot on the 2nd mount. Look at the drawings.

I clamped mine in 2 spots on the lower mount (throttle and Alt Air together) on the Right hand side AND (Mix and Prop together) on the left hand side.

To do it you need another set of P clamps DG12 and DG6 in combination.

There is almost no slack on the cables and they just make it to the VA-182 Bracket and you can lock them in place

Later I will fit Fuel Servo to see if it works 100% but I feel 99% confident it will work at this stage.
Regards
Rudi

Ok, I now have fitted the Fuel servo + Airfilter box and connected the cables and throw. All is good with the above.

Are you using the conventional push / pull cables or the throttle lever quadrant?

My guess is the push pull ?

I thought so........... this AD heheheh Problem I think will only affect the Quadrant guys with the Precission Airmotive injection systems.

Thanks all the same :)

Precission sent me a new arm to try, with the 1.38" radius it works really well now.

I wonder if any folk have had the same problem and not realised it. Maybe its the quadrant that is a bit varried from the manufacturer.

If you need a part number it is 2523899 :)

There is a lot of info in this thread and some of it condradictory. I am about to order the FWF kit and would like to know EXACTLY what changes to the cables are recommended. All of them 2" longer seems to be a bit of a consensus........

I will be using D4A5 from Aerosport, standard VANS panel and push/pull controls.

Thanks.

Just to add to the confusion....I have stock cables in mine and they work great. I have the AeroSport panel, lower console with the quadrant. I have room to extend them as well. Kit number 40936. I do have the IO-540-N1A5 but the dimensions should be the same as the D4A5.

There is a lot of info in this thread and some of it condradictory. I am about to order the FWF kit and would like to know EXACTLY what changes to the cables are recommended. All of them 2" longer seems to be a bit of a consensus........

I will be using D4A5 from Aerosport, standard VANS panel and push/pull controls.

Thanks.

Paul, I have a Aerosport IO-540-D4A5 with a Silver Hawk EX and MT governor, and my panel is pretty much Van's standard (just 1 inch lower) with the push/pull cables. My throttle cable was too short, so I ordered "CT BLK THROTTLE 50.5" from Van's, and it works great. My mixture and prop cables that came with the FWF kit were fine.

-Rob

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll order the extra cable so I have a choice - should be able to get something to work!

Update for 2013

Ok Guys here are the details on the engine control cable re-order.

The Mfg. is ACS Products. This company was started by the same man who started Aircraft Spruce and was originally part of that company but is now a separate entity.

These are the part numbers:

Blue Knob VProp A-1760-30-0745-V with 2.5" stroke

Red Knob Mixture A-1760-20-0535-V with 2.5" stroke

This is a special non refundable order at $159.95 each so be sure that this is what you need. The part numbers I have given here gives you cables two inches longer than the cables you get from Vans, this is what I used and they worked fine. If I had to do it again I believe I would, like the throttle cable, make them 3 inches longer which would make the installation even easier.

If you plan a std Vans panel order them 2" longer. If you use CF panel from Aerosport Products order them 3" longer.

To order cables three inches longer change the last number for the blue knob from 0745 to 0755 (75.5") and for the red knob from 0535 to 0545 (54.5")

Keep in mind that if you plan on using the CF instrument panel from http://www.aerosportproducts.com/ then this brings the attach point of these cables in the cockpit back almost one inch which makes longer cables a definite requirement.

To order call Anthony Garcia at Aircraft Spruce at (951) 372-9555 ex. 456 or e-mail him at [email protected] and give him quotation # 249314

Just an update for folks since Ivan's post is a few years old:
The contact info for Anthony remains the same. The price of the cables is now $190.75. Shipping time is 3-4 weeks right now with expedited service (1 week) for an additional $50.

Vans has the 50.5" throttle cable for $63. It hurts to pay an additional $130 per cable for a few extra inches...but some folks pay a lot more to add inches elsewhere :p

Ivan - thanks for doing the leg work on this. It is still paying dividends 3 years later!

Back