What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Up north to down south

DrillBit

Well Known Member
The better half and I are planning to fly 8PK down to San Diego the week of 20 Sep...or later, depending on what the widespread scattered thundersmokers are doing by then. VFR-only pilot and plane.

Tricia's booked a downtown hotel in the Gaslamp District. Any good reasons for or against landing at the nearest GA airport, KMYF?

The plan: arrive Monday, depart Friday, tie down the plane for the duration. Maybe some short flights midweek if one of our friends deigns to put their life in my hands.

The better half and I are planning to fly 8PK down to San Diego the week of 20 Sep...or later, depending on what the widespread scattered thundersmokers are doing by then. VFR-only pilot and plane.

Tricia's booked a downtown hotel in the Gaslamp District. Any good reasons for or against landing at the nearest GA airport, KMYF?

The plan: arrive Monday, depart Friday, tie down the plane for the duration. Maybe some short flights midweek if one of our friends deigns to put their life in my hands.

MYF is a great airport to use. Easy in and out, GA friendly, friendly ATC, etc.

Enjoy your trip, and if you need anything, feel free to post. We have a strong RV community here.

The only concern at MYF might be weather. Occasionally, there are low clouds close to the ocean, and the weather at Gillespie (SEE) or Ramona (RNM) can be better.

This is less likely this time of year, but very much an issue in late April, May, June, and early July.

Worth checking.

You didn’t ask this, but I’d suggest going over, rather than under (and definitely not thru) the LAX class B. A lot less traffic, much easier. You’ll need to climb to 11,500’ for this. And as soon as you’re past the class B, it’s time to start down.
It’s been a while since I was at Montgomery, but I never had any complaints.

Nothing wrong with flying over the Class B airspace, but if you are comfortable with flight following, it's very easy to fly through/under LAX Class B. The controllers are really good.

Thru

Nothing wrong with flying over the Class B airspace, but if you are comfortable with flight following, it's very easy to fly through/under LAX Class B. The controllers are really good.

So if you fly thru, meaning over lax, then you will be at 2500 (mini route) or 3500 (VFR special flight rules area). Unless things have changed.

So if you fly thru, meaning over lax, then you will be at 2500 (mini route) or 3500 (VFR special flight rules area). Unless things have changed.

Those routes are for VFR without flight following. If you are receiving flight following, you can go anywhere you want to, if you get clearance. Sometimes you will want clearance through parts of the Class B, and if approved, away you go!

I usually fly inland, over Ontario, using flight following. I'm under the Class B but in busy airspace. Love the flight following!!

Thanks for the comments everybody.

Plan A is in fact flying in the 'teens, but will be on flight following for sure. Also considered swinging out the the East, which works for Ramona or Gillespie, but coming down the coast seems to be better for Montgomery-Gibbs.

Any words of wisdom regarding tying down on the transient ramp vs. one of the FBOs?

I’ve done this trip a few times. Beautiful run south if your up for the longer flight hop over to the coast around SLO if the sky is clear enough to enjoy the view. I personally love any of the routes over LAX, download the supplement and take your pick based on conditions at passing time. I always tie in the transient, done it 6 times this year and never had or heard of any issues.

Good luck and enough. I’ll hopefully have an RV-6A joining you in LVK end of next week.

I fly out of Kmyf. Come down the coast either at 3500 or 1500 to avoid cls B. Turn left at Mt. Soledad. Call them up when over Torrey Pines Golf. Sometimes they ask you to fly west and south around mt Soledad. Expect L traffic for 28L

From East come in 3500 over Ksee and head towards Mt. Helix (just south and sets up for straight in) Report either place and expect straight in for either runway.

Transient ramp usually has space and is very convenient. Pm if you need any restaurant recommendations.

Last edited:
Hi Kurt,
Ive been to Montgomery and Ramona. I fly over the top of LA with flight following. Very busy controllers and lots of changes. Study the chart for San Diego, atc tells you to turn at a certain mountain. Avoid the restricted airspace over pendleton. We stayed at the fbo. Sounds like fun.

Back