What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mattituck io360 help

TenBears

I'm New Here
Im looking at an RV7A with a Mattituck io360 c/s and I can?t seem to find much information on the engine. I?m not too familiar with the experimental engines.
I saw that the shop closed down a few years back and that they?re operating somewhere else now..
Can anyone fill me in on TBO times, where I could even send it in for an overhaul/work etc etc. Keeping in consideration that I?m up in Canada too..
Basically if someone can school me on this engine, that would be great!

Mattituck was one of the best, if your engine came out of there you have a good one.

If you have a 2013 era TMX-IO-360 its mostly ECI components. See if the engine build component sheet is with the engine logs and should list each item and S/N. It's a Lycoming clone, and operate it using the Lycoming service instructions and maintenance manuals. That's a good engine. You can expect the same overhaul time and serviceability as a Lycoming.

I have one on my 7A/pleased

My IO-360 has been excellent from Mattituck, and they treated me right...however, there was a Service Bulletin on the ECI cylinders. Certain serial numbers only. At first, ECI offered a free cylinder replacement, which Mattituck did for me at the factory...then the FAA authorized a work-around (cheaper for ECI, I suspect). I believe either the replacement or the work around needed to be completed by 300 hours of service. Just do your homework and make sure (if it is an affected engine) that the SB has been addressed in some manner...otherwise it may be staring you in the face. Other than that, it has been a great engine in my opinion...and high marks to Mattituck.

Last edited:
Plus one on the Mattituck ECI motors.

Ours has done nearly 500 hours now, was part of the group that needed a barrel inspection at 350 hours, no problems. We run dual P-Mags and an MT prop. An excellent motor.

Mattituck was the gold standard for many years in the engine overhaul business. They started building new clone engines using all of their experience and knowledge. Their closing was a sad day for general aviation. I have a TMXIO320/165 hp and it?s a screamer.

Since you are in Vancouver, the folks at Aero Sport Power (Kamloops, BC) might be willing to help with detailed questions about the Mattituck engine for you. They do similar work.

Agree

I bought a RV7 once only because it had a Mattituck engine.

Best company there was. Do it or send me the listing :)

Mahlon

Mahlon Russell used to work for Mattituck and still occasionally comments in these forums. He’s very knowledgeable about Mattituck and Lycoming engines, and he’s very helpful, too.

Maybe he’ll notice your post and speak up.

P.S. Since your question is more of an engine question than an RV7 question, I’m moving your thread to the engine forum where I think you’ll have a better chance of getting a comment from Mahlon. Although I think you have received excellent replies from the previous posters.
Mahlon’s user id is “mahlon_r”

Last edited:
Back