What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bonehead Composites (Helmets)

TCONROY

Well Known Member
I was reading the latest issue of AOPA Pilot magazine and saw the write-up about Bonehead Composites. The owner just finished an RV-7A and has designed carbon fiber helmets primarily for skydivers but also for pilots with small cockpits. Anyone used one of these helmets in their RV?
http://www.boneheadcomposites.com/

Skydiving

I have 2 of their helmits for skydiving. They are nice. Quality carbon fiber construction.
Have not used them for flying

I was interested in that article, and the helmet shown with the visor. I could not find the visor on their website. I contacted them and they said:

"It is the Guner helmet you saw in AOPA. The visors are not on our website, but we can supply them in clear and add helmet snaps. The visors cost 95$. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask."

They mentioned a clear visor, but the one in the AOPA pic was dark. I haven't inquired further about that.

Thinkin' about it, lots of buzzards here in the Ozarks.

Thanks for providing that information Bill. I'm curious to get a real review from another RV driver. Seems like a nice helmet that is lightweight. It would be difficult to go from my Bose A20 to anything else though...:D

Dave Hirschman wrote the article and he is an RV4 driver. Canopies don't get much tighter than in a -4. I fly with him often and he loves the helmet.

I'm about to order one for my Pitts Special that has a cut-down canopy for racing (Reno). A good friend of mine uses the Bonehead helmets for base jumping and swears by the company. Good enough for me.

The owner posts on here on occasion. I bet he will see this shortly.

Another fan of his skydiving helmets and accessories. Quality stuff.

Mark

Bonehead Helmet

I bought one last year to race at reno. It is light weight and fits inside my RV 8 on me and I'm 6'2" I like it and would recommend it.

I'm also thinking of buying one of these from Chris Frisella; VAF Moniker Cfrisella, Bonehead Composites:

The Carbon Fiber one looks light.

I bought mine for warbird flying years ago from Flight Suits which is now Gibson & Barnes. Sounds like you want an HGU-55/E. I have the ANR module and custom fit head liner in mine. Very comfortable with no "hot spots" when worn for long periods. They were first rate to work with. The helmet is beautiful and continues to work without issue after 10 plus years of use. Would buy from them again in a heartbeat.

I use the PilotX, but I'm a bit biased.

PilotX%20Chris_zpstftlcmjt.jpg

PilotX%201_zpsiqnzi5gj.jpg

A bit more low profile than the HGU-33
PilotX%20vs.%20HGU%201_zpsa3xksubj.jpg

PilotX%20vs.%20HGU%202_zpsrljp62p3.jpg

Thanks for providing that information Bill. I'm curious to get a real review from another RV driver. Seems like a nice helmet that is lightweight. It would be difficult to go from my Bose A20 to anything else though...:D

I use the Bonehead during acro Comp and Airshows and all the other performers love my set up and super light weight.. I use the Clarity Aloft headset and it works great...here is a 360 video of me checking getting familiar with Airshow central. You can see my helmet set up. use the mouse to turn the view around https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jjWQtYeDKg

Last edited:
Back