What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Red Primer on factory steel parts

plehrke

Well Known Member
Patron
I am doing my 15th condition inspection and I noticed what looked like a crack between two of the outbd elevator hinge fitting rivets on the fixed horizontal tail side. I took off the elevator to inspect and it was actually a crack in the paint. In fact the paint just easily chipped off down to the steel. I could easily chip off large flakes.
Those fittings had red primer on them when they came from Vans and I painted over with two part PPG primer and top coat. It is not my paint chipping off of red primer but instead what is letting loose is the red primer off of the steel. I noticed I have similar chipping on other steel fittings.
Anybody else having issues with paint chipping off the steel fittings even with top coat over them?

I pretty much call the primer that comes on, parts shipping preservative and remove it and prep the part for painting myself. Just recently finishing a new engine cowl and someone had applied the same type of primer just it was gray. You could almost wash it off with a dry rag. Your fingernail would peel it off easily in strips. I would much prefer to see the bare glass where they had done cosmetics and have taken care of the prep rather than having to deal with removing the primer before starting. Oh well it looked better in the shipping crate.

Back