What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sikaflex on a -12

pierre smith

Well Known Member
Mornin’ guys,
Just started the canopy on my -12 and wondered if any of you guys have Sika’d your canopy. Details, please,

Regards,

I would not hesitate, however, the 2 we built were for an engineering exercise so would be sold.

If I were building one for myself, an absolute no brainer.

Hated drilling those holes.

Sika on a -7 TU

I went that route.

Study the rebate requirements (gluing surface for the insertion of the glass) from Sika and do your best to provide what is delineated. I used some z extrusion in a few places to give a three sided bond.

After 50 hrs I noticed some hinging where the canopy rails meet the forward canopy frame. Initially this was seen as cracks in the paint and fairing. Later in very cold weather I got a canopy crack in the same place as the paint/fairing crack.

Perhaps the small canopy movement allowed by the Sika establishes a stress concentration at the joint between the canopy rails and the forward frame. In a -7 that joint is reinforced by a small plate. If I were to go back in time I would build up that joint more stiffly. I don't know how that compares with the -12.

Back