What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Places to go in Maine

ntspdy

Hello all. I would love to do a trip up to Maine since I’ve never been there but don’t know where to start. I would like to visit the coast and maybe do some exploring of local cuisine. Anyone have a recommendation of a good airport to stop at on the coast and nearby restaurants and sights?

Coast

If your gonna go to the coast be sure to stop in at Rockland. There is a wonderful museum on the field with cars and airplanes. They claim to drive and fly everything, but I saw an ornithopter. Seems unlikely they fly everything😀. They will pick you up from the FBO in a car from the museum.

KBHB

Bar Harbor is a great spot. They have a loner car and lots of great places to check out. Another great spot is KIWI Wiscasset. They have a nice rental car. Nice area to explore or AirB&B.

Grew up there and can say it's a great place to visit (but glad I don't live there anymore :p).

You can fly into Portland (PWM) and take an Uber downtown. Food scene is in a different century than when I grew up. Recommend the "Old Port" district/Exchange Street area--on the waterfront. Used to be commercial fishing supply warehouses--now where the hipsters hang out. Check out Wharf Street--narrow alley just off Commercial Street. I like Street and Company--intimate and great seafood. Vignola (at 10 Dana St.) was also good but looks like they closed. Nice space, though, so maybe some place nice moved in.

Camden Harbor is beautiful--not too far from RKD or BST. Food can be hit or miss but very quaint town. Boothbay (near BXM/IWI) and Bar (BHB) Harbors are classic Maine (think cheap and good lobster rolls--which, BTW, should only be made with New England style buns and light mayo).

I grew up in Maine and lived there through college. The Bar Harbor area is my favorite place on the east coast. Spend some time in Acadia National Park (next to Bar Harbor), it’s a wonderful place to visit.

+1 on Bar Harbor. Bar Harbor and Arcadia National park are basically one in the same. You stay in the same place and see both. 3-4 days there and you will have seen what you need to see.

Thanks for all the replies, it really helps decide on a starting point. The food on pilots cove’s website looks awesome. I’ll give a report after I make it up there hopefully in June.

A lot of fun places in Maine. The above suggestions are all spot on, depending on what you like. My daughter lives in Cape Elizabeth, I fly into Portland regularly. If you decide to go there, Northeast Air is very GA friendly. Enjoy your trip!

Read about our trip to Maine in 2016, you should be able to get some ideas from that. We had a blast!

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=141972

6D470771-BDC3-47E0-AF8E-192C50543CF9.jpeg

Eastport

If you would like to get away from the crowds - assuming there are such things during COVID times - I would strongly suggest a visit to Eastport.

We called the airport number - which is actually townhall - they left a couple of bikes for us at the airport. The island is surrounded by fishing, there is a converted fishing boat that will take out on a tour (hopefully not a 3 hours tour Gilligan style). The local fish market serves a great meal.

I also think you get a qual for landing on the most easterly airport in the contiguous states.

I will muse a little.....

Back in the day, our first long haul flights in the 757 were MAN to BGR. My word, I was excited. We are talking 1994, ish.

We stayed at the Ramadan, opposite HoJo's....

My word, those were the days. Me - sent to the garage to fetch beer and snacks, room party until 5, freshen up, then down to Capt Nicks for line dancing.

Back