What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Proseal easy removal for fuel sendor ?

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
Installing CIES senders.
I have read and personally know how proseal ONLY is challenging to deal with to remove if needed. Some swear by cork with proseal, others swear AT the rubber provided by CIES. My question is, what would be wrong with plain old gasket paper from NAPA with proseal on each side ?
That would provide the easily penetrated/pealed material between the aluminum components.

Larry,

I am a strong proponent of ProSeal only.

I have repaired numerous tanks including removal of the access plate, sensors, and rear bulkheads. Most leaks I find on Condition Inspections are related the access disc and the use of gasket materials. Both rubber and cork dry and crack over time. If used with ProSeal the sealant is good, the leak is in the gasket. The other common source is the mounting screws not getting enough ProSeal in the threads at installation.

I really never understand the complaint about difficulty with separating ProSealed parts.
A good quality thin tempered flexible putty knife works very well. Like you find at a paint store or hardware, not harbor freight. It is not very hard to work the blade in between the parts and slowly evenly separate. If combined with gasket material, there is the sealant cleanup anyway.

If there is extreme difficulty separating parts I would suspect some other product was used in place of ProSeal.

I'm in the Proseal only camp also. I've removed them with the real thin putty knife sharpened to a chisel point and a little heat. Slowly it is possible and clean up is a breeze. Go for it.
Art

The sender is very difficult to remove with just pro-seal; however, that seems to be the best seal. To make mine easier to remove I ground a chamfer around the bottom side of the fuel sender mounting base. This will make it easier to work a scraper under the fuel sender when removal is needed - and it will be needed at some point.

On the RV-10, it's tough to get a putty knife in there to separate the sender if it's just prosealled on. I used the rubber gasket on mine: One side used proseal and I tried something different on the other tank, liquid form-a-gasket with the rubber gasket as recommended here by another RVer. Both sides are leak free so far...

-Marc

Back