What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another dimpling question

msmst25

Well Known Member
Sorry if this is another stupid question, but I would really prefer to avoid making a mistake if at all possible, and the instructions aren't as clear on the fuselage as they were on the Empennage.
I'm installing the K1100-08 nutplates to the F-1048-L fwd fuselage rib, and the instructions specifically call out dimpling the nutplate attach holes. They do not mention dimpling the screw holes, but it seems like they should be dimpled based on the type of nutplate.
If the instructions hadn't called out dimpling the nutplate attach holes (without mentioning the screw holes), I would have just dimpled all 3 holes for each nutplate.
I understand that the instructions are assuming that we can make some decisions on our own, but it seems odd that they randomly choose to include some info and not others.
I appreciate any help you can offer

Are you talking about the nutplates at the bottom of the tunnel? You don't dimple the screw holes for those. Those holes accept 8R8 screws for DG6 clamps to hold the brake lines. You need to dimple the nutplate attachment holes because otherwise the clamp won't lay flat.

nutplates

The nutplates at the bottom of the tunnel are K1000-08, so I couldn't dimple those. These are at the top of the rib.

Just cross check the type of screw that is recommended.
Flat head, no dimple.
Angled head, dimple.

For the most part, anywhere the air, a second mounting component, or occupant needs a smooth surface over the screw head you will need to dimple. Otherwise the flat head screw is simpler.

I looked through the rest of my plans, and couldn't figure out exactly what attached to it. I'm sure it's in there somewhere, but I haven't found it yet.

Just cross check the type of screw that is recommended.
Flat head, no dimple.
Angled head, dimple.

For the most part, anywhere the air, a second mounting component, or occupant needs a smooth surface over the screw head you will need to dimple. Otherwise the flat head screw is simpler.

Careful - the language above is exactly opposite common usage. A ‘flat head screw’ usually refers to a screw which is flat on top, angled below, designed to be countersunk.

I looked through the rest of my plans, and couldn't figure out exactly what attached to it. I'm sure it's in there somewhere, but I haven't found it yet.

Tunnel cover, section 35, page 6. Callout is for AN509-8R8 screws to attach it.

Back