What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baggage bulkead sealing Question, RV-6

PCHunt

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Has anyone come up with an easy way to seal the triangle-shaped gaps around the edge of the baggage bulkhead?

I want to stop the cold air from coming forward in the winter.

I tried searching, with no luck.

Thanks,

Baggage sealing,

Hi Pete:

I've never seen it discussed, but I wonder if they should be left open so that there is a exhaust for the air inlets? If the cabin is sealed I don't think much air will flow through the vents, or for that matter the heating system.

Something I've wondered about my self, Terry.

Some folks have cut small foam triangles and glued them into the gaps around the perimeter on the aft side of the bulkhead.

Hi Pete:

I've never seen it discussed, but I wonder if they should be left open so that there is a exhaust for the air inlets? If the cabin is sealed I don't think much air will flow through the vents, or for that matter the heating system.

From what I understand, there is a high pressure area aft, and the airflow inside the aircraft is actually from the tail-cone forward to the cabin. Thus the need to seal off the baggage bulkhead.

Also need to seal off the aileron push rods, and if possible, the flap rod exit holes.

All ideas appreciated. :)

Another approach

Like you I was having trouble w/ cold air in my RV-7A slider. It was coming in the aft baggage bulkhead, the flap rod holes, the aft slider rod, around the spar & fuse sides next to my theighs ... everywhere. I was trying to seal everything ... but not making any real progress.

I finally reasoned that the issue was a pressure difference. If the pressure inside the cabin is lower than outside the cabin- then you're gonna get leaks. Plug one leak up .. and it'll come in somewhere else.

After checking the cuff between the canopy and the windscreen, I found that I could get a slip of paper between them when the canopy was closed. So the fast moving air over the top of the canopy was creating a vacuum in the cabin through the cuff gap... resulting in air coming in where ever it could.

5 minutes and a little foam wx stripping from HDepot and all my problems were fixed.

So consider looking of ways that you're creating a vacuum in the cabin ... vs ways that the air gets in. Beside, the air has to have a way to get out -otherwise your fresh air vents won't be able to get air into the cabin.

From what I understand, there is a high pressure area aft, and the airflow inside the aircraft is actually from the tail-cone forward to the cabin. Thus the need to seal off the baggage bulkhead.

Also need to seal off the aileron push rods, and if possible, the flap rod exit holes.

All ideas appreciated. :)

The real issue is the low pressure along the sides of the canopy which sucks air outta the airplane. You can seal the inlets (the flap holes, aileron pushrod boots, baggage compartment triangles, etc), or you can seal the outlets (the canopy skirts). Either ought to work.

Hi Pete:

It gets cold around here, and leaving the bulkhead sides open, seems to work better when it comes to getting good airflow from the heater outlet.

Personally, in my 6A, I've never felt cold air coming from the back....forward. My slider seals quite well on it's own.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Back