What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV friendly airport near Houston, TX

GETST8FRM

There is a slight chance I will be going to Houston Thursday (11/17/11). Could someone give me some advice on the best GA friendly airport in the area. If I go, I'll be staying as close to MD Anderson as possible. Thanks for your help. Evan

Evan,
I'm sure there are others - but for convenient access to MD Anderson and a GA friendly FBO, my recommendation is Houston Southwest Airport.

I usually fly from there now (KAXH)... and as said, KAXH would probably be the best for the medical center. Highway 288 connects them pretty well, without too much traffic. (I'd use Highway 6 to Highway 288....not the weird route Google Maps shows.)

Lot's of RV's up at at Hooks (KDHW) or Lone Star / Conroe (KCXO).....but a longer drive too.

Third vote for AXH

There is a small FBO at the east end of the field with competitive fuel prices. You can arrange for a rental car through the FBO.

Hobby

For access to MDA, Hobby-KHOU- is great. Millionair was just fine to deal with. Maybe most helpful controllers I have dealt with.

If time is important, HOU is the closest and easiest, lots of FBOs to choose from, all with good services, but it will cost you. Otherwise, the further out you go, the cheaper. EFD is not in a good auto traffic pattern to MDA - way too much congestion to get there.

If you need any help with or have questions about MDA, please give me a PM.

TODR

Thanks!!!!

I appreciate all the help & advice. Seems to me ya'll are very lucky to have several great GA friendly airports close by. Again, Thank You !!
Evan

Anyone know of a airport/hangar/condo/apartment/room within a commuting distance from IAH? It's looking like I will be relocating there come March/April.

Anyone know of a airport/hangar/condo/apartment/room within a commuting distance from IAH? It's looking like I will be relocating there come March/April.

Hmm. Just in time to miss the best of Wisconsin and enjoy the worse of Texas weather (i.e., summer). Can't help with north side accommodations but welcome to the neighborhood!

Last edited:
Anyone know of a airport/hangar/condo/apartment/room within a commuting distance from IAH?

Yep, just in time for summer... ewww! There are several options somewhat near IAH, gotta look N and NW... Hooks Airport (DWH) would probably be your best bet. The airport and rental hangars are a bit rough, but it's very usable and T hangars are always available, $325/mo. Lotsa RVs on the field and you might find a hangar apartment to rent, there are several on the field.

To the west there's Weiser (EYQ) and West Houston (IWS); Weiser is a cool little airport with one RV-7A nearing completion (hurry up Daryl!), but hangars can be hard to find. W Houston is a nice field, but a wait list for T hangars and crazy (500/mo!) prices. Farther north is Conroe (CXO), lotsa RVs and hangars but I don't know many specifics there; North Houston (9X1) might work, but it's remote, kinda quiet...

Hmm. Just in time to miss the best of Wisconsin and the worse of Texas weather (i.e., summer). Can't help with north side accommodations but welcome to the neighborhood!

Thanks Louise. Unfortunately, I will probably have to do Jan/Feb in MSP. It'll take until August in Houston to thaw out.

Yep, just in time for summer... ewww! There are several options somewhat near IAH, gotta look N and NW... Hooks Airport (DWH) would probably be your best bet. The airport and rental hangars are a bit rough, but it's very usable and T hangars are always available, $325/mo. Lotsa RVs on the field and you might find a hangar apartment to rent, there are several on the field.

To the west there's Weiser (EYQ) and West Houston (IWS); Weiser is a cool little airport with one RV-7A nearing completion (hurry up Daryl!), but hangars can be hard to find. W Houston is a nice field, but a wait list for T hangars and crazy (500/mo!) prices. Farther north is Conroe (CXO), lotsa RVs and hangars but I don't know many specifics there; North Houston (9X1) might work, but it's remote, kinda quiet...

Thanks John, I appreciate that. I like the idea of a Hangar/appartment. My wife will stay in WI so me and my concubine (N524AP) will be on our own for a few days a week.

Still, looking for a RV9 size corner of a Hangar near IAH. Preferably something with a crash pad (apartment).

I hope to come down there next weekend and poke around. The official relocation is probably March (ish).

I will definitely check out Hooks (DWH) per John's suggestion.

Back