What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Houston area builders

IronDawg

Hello, all. I am in the Houston area and have been dreaming of building an RV for many years. I have taken recent steps to educate and prepare myself for the challenge, and I realize there is a lot more I need to learn.

I've read Kit Plane Construction, have purchased plans for an RV-8, and am currently accumulating more of a library on the various topics.

I believe the way I'll go about it is to begin accumulating the necessary tools and planning the workspaces (garage, workshop, we own a hangar at 54T), and I'll work on a few smaller sheet metal projects to get the gist of it. I'd like to place my order for the empennage kit in the next few months.

Is there someone in the Houston area that has begun to build or has built one of these beautiful machines that would mind getting together for a chat or at least offer some guidance? I would be most appreciative!

Kind Regards,
Jeff Holzaepfel

Hello, all. I am in the Houston area and have been dreaming of building an RV for many years. I have taken recent steps to educate and prepare myself for the challenge, and I realize there is a lot more I need to learn.

I've read Kit Plane Construction, have purchased plans for an RV-8, and am currently accumulating more of a library on the various topics.

I believe the way I'll go about it is to begin accumulating the necessary tools and planning the workspaces (garage, workshop, we own a hangar at 54T), and I'll work on a few smaller sheet metal projects to get the gist of it. I'd like to place my order for the empennage kit in the next few months.

Is there someone in the Houston area that has begun to build or has built one of these beautiful machines that would mind getting together for a chat or at least offer some guidance? I would be most appreciative!

Kind Regards,
Jeff Holzaepfel

Hey Jeff,

I'm up in Spring and building an -8. Currently working on the wings. There are quite a few finished 8's around town.

Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions, or would like to come see the project.

Hello Jeff,

there's a loosely disorganized bunch called the Houston RV builder's Group that meets at one of the local airports the third Saturday of every month for lunch - sort of a chance to get together and ask/answer questions and socialize. Those get announced here and on a Yahoo Group a couple of days in advance. We hosted the group at our hangar at Polly Ranch last month and showed off our flying -6 and -8, along with a -3 we're building.

Always happy to help out a new builder - PM me if you would like to get together to talk about building.

Paul

Sugar Land

Hello Jeff. I am right down the road in Sugar Land building a QB 8. I am tied up for the next couple of weeks but would be glad to visit later in the month. Shoot me a PM and we can set something up if you want.

emp kit

I did it, guys. I updated my signature here on VAF. Thanks for the replies and offers for help. It got me past that "hump"...

Jeff

Back