What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Autopilot servo wiring interference

mlwynn

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I installed a tru-trak roll servo in the recommended position under the floor in an RV 8. I am in the wiring phase and was installing the 9 pin sub-d connector. I find that the sub-d housing is very close to rubbing against the aileron push tube. I can't think that touching that or even gettting close would be a good idea. How have others dealt with this? Is there a right angle sub-d housing?

For that matter, I have a bunch of wirings going through the spar center section that are going to run right under the aileron push tubes. How have others secured those down so there is no chafing?

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Wiring
San Ramon, CA

I used screws and adel clamps when I was able to put a hole on a side rib. Along the floor I used the sticky pull tie mounts and then prosealed them permanantly in place.

Hi all,

I installed a tru-trak roll servo in the recommended position under the floor in an RV 8. I am in the wiring phase and was installing the 9 pin sub-d connector. I find that the sub-d housing is very close to rubbing against the aileron push tube. I can't think that touching that or even gettting close would be a good idea. How have others dealt with this? Is there a right angle sub-d housing?

For that matter, I have a bunch of wirings going through the spar center section that are going to run right under the aileron push tubes. How have others secured those down so there is no chafing?

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Wiring
San Ramon, CA

To answer your question, yes there are right angle as well as 45 degree housings.

However, you probably don't need a housing at all. After mating the connector, secure the wiring on both sides and you should be good. The housings are typically used for connections that are to be plugged/unplugged routinely and are not strictly necessary for semi-permanent connections.

V

Good thoughts

Thanks, Vern. That makes sense as I cannot see having to uncouple that with any frequency.

Wade, I have also used sticky pads several places. I scraped off the foam and used 3M outdoor mounting tape for better hold. The ones I put on several years ago, early in the build, still seem quite secure. I was a little insecure with depending on them near the flight controls. I am not sure what other options there are. I guess I could drill through the bottom skin and use adel clamps, but that would really be tacky....

Thanks for your insights.

Michael Wynn
RV8 Wiring
San Ramon, CA

One other item you may want to check is that the servo arm doesn't interfere with the floor board stiffener.

I put my floor board down and felt a rub, when I pulled the floor back up I noticed a little rub on the stiffener.

If my memory serves me correctly I think it was the big washer on the servo that interfered.

Cut off about 1/4 inch from the stiffener and no more rub.

But, as you know, there isn't much of a choice to mount the servo and I was trying to keep it away from the push tube and ended up close to the stiffener.

Good luck!

Mount the servo on the right

If you swap the servo position to the right side the plug exits aft and the bell crank can be positioned under the sloping part of the floor and easily clear without rubbing.

Here's how I did mine

mt2fyc.jpg

I also recall using a smaller washer alongsid the rod end and I drilled off the floor stiffner and turned it around.

Paul Danclovic
Jamestown NC
RV-8A N181SB

Back