What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Newton Fuel Caps

gcman6

I'm wondering if anyone has installed the Newton Aero 300 fuel caps in their fuel tanks recently. Van's doesn't sell them anymore although you can purchase them through Aircraft Spruce.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/aero_05-22934.php

However I have seen some comments that the precut hole in the fuel tank skin is a little larger now and I'm wondering if anyone has any pictures or can say if the Newton Fuel caps will actually work before I spend the money on them. Thanks!

They are great you won’t regret installing. Thousands hours later they still perform flawlessly. I never used locking feature.

cans%20-%201%202.jpg

Ok Thanks. I think I'll get the Newton Caps. FYI for any future builders that Van's doesn't sell the Newton Fuel caps anymore as the "deluxe" fuel caps.

Caps

I purchased them and they do not fit. The hole in the wing is larger than the cap and the backing ring.
If your opening is smaller, let me know. I still have my caps and backing plates. I will sell them to you at a discount because I went with the standard caps. They are NIB and I have the keys to match.

Attachments

• 4FD4DEBD-38A7-41A8-8133-547CC011B060.jpg
    4FD4DEBD-38A7-41A8-8133-547CC011B060.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 219
  • D4907FD1-EC9C-4BEF-89EF-F80D21DAC8DE.jpg
    D4907FD1-EC9C-4BEF-89EF-F80D21DAC8DE.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Freakshow, when did you purchase your wing kit? It makes me wonder when Vans started doing larger holes for the fuel caps.

I bought my wings around the first of 2017, and the fuel cap hole in the skin fit my newton caps perfectly.

Freakshow, when did you purchase your wing kit? It makes me wonder when Vans started doing larger holes for the fuel caps.

I bought my wings around the first of 2017, and the fuel cap hole in the skin fit my newton caps perfectly.

November of 2018. I was bummed they did not fit. The newton caps are beautiful.

I just checked my holes are the same size as yours 2 9/16”. I contacted Newton and got the spec sheet for the aero 300 A30 caps and it says the cap diameter is 2.3” and the flange diameter is 3.7”. Based on those numbers it looks like they should fit. What are the dimensions of your caps and flange?

Caps

I will have to measure them when I get home this afternoon. I can text you pics and measurements. My number is +12537209711 if you want to text me your phone number. If not I will just post it on this thread.

Ok I’ll send you a text. I think as long as there is adequate edge distance for the rivets into the flange I’m ok with the extra gap around the fuel cap.

Back