What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inexpensive hangar building?

Greg Arehart

Well Known Member
I'm looking for options for a relatively inexpensive hangar that will be erected in far NW BC near my cabin. Probably need something like 40 x 30 feet. I've looked online a bit at the fabric hangars as well as quonset-hut type. I'm wondering what information anyone might have out there as to price (hard to get a quote on most of this stuff without signing away all my personal info) and suitability for a polar climate. I would probably put this on a gravel/dirt floor with minimal foundation (or as minimal as possible since concrete is ~$250/yard:eek:).

The goal is to have a place to store the airplane during summers, and store a boat & truck in winter (the airplane will likely come back to Reno with me each winter).

Thanks for any thoughts/info,
Greg

You can always try one of these metal carports and box in the sides and ends. For $5400, that is not a bad deal. Of course, the additional siding and doors will cost more.

Playing with that website, it is easy to double the price if you option it up.

Last edited:
Had mine built, 30x40 steel weld up for $17000 and that includes the $6000 for the slab. That does not include the electrical and the big door. Just to give you an idea.

I've been collecting bids on pole building type hangars around here.

a 50x50 clearspan 12' sides with one end open for a 44x12 door was ~$32K with some overhangs and wainscot, Erected on my leveled site.

another 40 x50 x12 pole building normal trusses was $22500....(overhangs and wainscot optional fee)

so roughly $11-12/sqft gets an erected shell, no dirt work, power or anything else. in NW Montana

If you're motivated to DIY, you can build a variation of a pole barn really inexpensively. I added a 30x50 lean-to to my hangar using 4x4's as the posts & 9" tall steel purlins (what you see between the steel beams in big metal buildings) as the beams (rafters). I built the entire structure without assistance, except a 2nd guy on the gas post hole digger. The metal purlins are what allowed my solo build. A 31' purlin is light enough to lift one end onto your shoulder & walk up a ladder with it to sit it on top of the post.

You'd need to tweak the design a bit to allow for your snow loads, but no reason that it wouldn't work up there.

PM me if you'd like more info.

Charlie

Quonset?

For cost concerns I think they are worth considering. I got a good deal on ours. I am not as negative on them as Bill but they do have issues.

1. You will not likely set it up with ropes and a scaffold as in there instructions. We used a scissor lift and set up one half of each arch at a time. After the first two full arches are up it goes fairly smoothly.
2. Lots of bolts. I found that with a small battery powered impact wrench that I could tighten almost all of the nuts from inside the hangar by myself. Zip, zip, zip. Without anyone having to hold the outside head of the bolt. Marked the ones that would not and got some help on those. I would not attempt one of these buildings without the investment in this tool.
3. Mine leaks a little. I could probably fix but have not.
4. Door issues as mentioned. I built a custom hydraulic door with slanted jams to maximize width and height.

Starting from scratch today. Probably would go with a more traditional building.

Last edited:
ah, the ultimate quest

...lots of interesting ideas here, I had a few, so sent you an e-mail.

I guess it will all depend on what you can actually get trucked to your site eh?
( or barge up Teslin lake? :)

Back