What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv (related) Parts.....

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
IMG_2023.JPG

Anyone want to guess what they are? One more coat of paint, and they should be ready for installation!

With my entire shop packed up for the duration of our new airpark home build, it was fun to be able to do some fabrication work again, thanks to Dayton Murdock and the generous loan of his shop, equipment, and talent....

Thats what I was thinking, either tie down points that will go into the slab that may also double as ground points for refueling and the such.

Yup - embedded flush-mount anchor points - just waiting for our hangar foundation and ramp pours! Carefully designed so that none of my rookie welding will show - or matter. But I got to learn new skills from Dayton, including using his CNC mill to drill the holes, and playing with the wire-feed welder (A skill I have never had a chance to learn before).

Hey Paul, we met at Reno a couple of years ago at the Reno RV BBQ, I am at Minden, love to fly in and check out your dream home-hanger when it is done!

Yup - embedded flush-mount anchor points - just waiting for our hangar foundation and ramp pours! Carefully designed so that none of my rookie welding will show - or matter. But I got to learn new skills from Dayton, including using his CNC mill to drill the holes, and playing with the wire-feed welder (A skill I have never had a chance to learn before).

You just reminded me of teaching Afghanis to stick weld. Thanks for that. :mad::D

When is the official move? RTS is looking forward to more RV activity. :D

When is the official move? RTS is looking forward to more RV activity. :D

Well, it is sort of progresive. I am moving out to the build site to provide overnight security from now until it is finished - hopefully by the end of the year. But all of our stuff is in Carson City (except for one airplane and Louise's day-to-day living things in Texas) - Tsam is at KCXP and the Val is hidden away here at A34.

Paul

I realize that you wouldn't have the pleasure of learning to weld, but you could achieve the same result with some galvanized screw eyes, nuts & fender washers combined with old tennis or other hollow balls sliced in half.

Charlie

Hey Paul, I am with Bret

Would love to see your building project too. If you have a special project you would need labor on, I think a work party would be a blast. I am sure you would get a lot of takers.

Steve Barnes "The Builders Coach"

How does the water get out? Most of the cleats I have seen are just shallow enough for the rope...

How does the water get out? Most of the cleats I have seen are just shallow enough for the rope...

Aren't Paul and Louise moving to the Nevada desert? I just figured that any water left exposed to open air would naturally disappear in no time at all. :)

mcb

Yep

Sublimation and evaporation should clear those puppies in a couple of hours. Besides, once embedded in the cement, the hole will not be very deep.

Last edited:
They'll go in here!

Forming for the concrete slab and footings is finally underway for the hangar!
1230016_211133249061411_651844549_n.jpg

They hope to pour concrete next Monday. The huge footings are for the main support columns - they have to design for uplift in 110 mph winds out here, and a 50'x60' hangar can generate a lot of lift. (If anyone needs a body buried before Monday, the holes are already dug....:cool:)

Our hangars here at Dayton Valley Airpark have to match the homes architecturally, which raises the cost over a simple tin sheathing considerably. But it should be nice when it is finished - and it will house at least four RV's comfortably.

Pit

Paul,
I put a man pit in mine to help facilitate changing oil and other stuff requiring me to be underneath. It stays covered when not in use and has been used by several friends more so than I.
Cj

Back