What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

backup battery

jacksel

Well Known Member
Does anyone have any familiarity with the TCW integrated backup battery system sold by Vans? It's pricey but it sounds like it might be more practical than installing an additional PC-680 to backup your critical electrics. The thing is I've never heard of it and I don't know anyone else who has. It does kind of sound like it was designed specifically for the job.

http://www.tcwtech.com/IBBS.htm

TCW

Hi,

I got 2 from Stein. One for the G3X (4ah) and one for the AI (2ah), but I returned the one for the AI.

"Integrated" is used loosely. They are just NiCad batteries in little black boxes that need to be mounted somewhere.

I returned the one for the AI because it seemed like a heavy, kludgy solution. I will do something more extensive for IFR.

I want the the one for the G3X primarily because I want fully operational engine gauges immediately on / during engine start.

I have not installed it yet. But a sticker in the box says if not used by September, it needs to be charged so I bought the charger direct from TCW.

P. Happ
Dues Paid

I talked with Bob Newman (TCW owner) specifically about what was in these boxes during OSH a couple months ago. I was under a similar impression that it probably contained a battery and current limiting charge circuitry. According to him there's much more - sounds like sophisticated battery charging/management features like temp monitoring and "smart" charging. If somebody is trying to compare this to a simple battery it's not a valid comparison. Not saying that a simple battery can't be made to work in your application, there are many examples of this. Let's just compare apples to apples.

Bob

I use one

I use a TCW 4ah IBBS to back up my G3X. I turn it on first, verifying function, followed by the master proceeding to engine start. The IBBS prevents an EFIS re-boot and provides complete engine instrumentation through start and initial engine run. It will provide in excess of 45 minutes run time if all else fails although with a standby alternator this would seem to be a less likely use in my installation. At shutdown the process is reversed, the IBBS is last off, again verifying function if only for a minute or so while times are recorded.

Chuck,

Where'd you mount it? I was thinking of the forward face of the right gear tower.

TCW

I am using one just like Skyflyer for my G3X with the same start procedure. I think it is a great, small and lightweight solution.

Skyflyer, how do you monitor the voltage in the IBBS?
I would like to have a way to monitor it for health but the G3X will only allow monitoring of two busses and I have the second one monitoring the E bus.

Another option is their power stabilizer. It'll run the EFIS during start and alternator failure/battery voltage drop by increasing battery voltage to what's needed by the EFIS.

It also prevents voltage spikes. Handles input voltage of 5 to 15 volts.

Bonus: It only weighs 8 to 14oz vs 1.5 to 2.5lbs

Mounting

I mounted mine on the forward face of the right gear tower. Easy to get at for potential service. As for monitoring the voltage, I currently do so only periodically, as I normally use the two G3X channels for main and vital bus voltages. It is a simple matter to reconfigure the G3X to monitor vital bus and backup voltage and I have considered making that my standard configuration.

Thanks Chuck,
Kinda what I thought I would need to do.
Change the set-up every now and then.
I talked with Garmin about this and never came up with a good solution.

Back