What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Holy Buckets!

ChiefPilot

Well Known Member
Over the last nine weeks, I've been without N164BL - my RV-6A that I first flew in November of last year. I completed the phase one test period and added another sixty or so hours after that tweaking this, that, and the other thing. I dropped it off at the paint shop in June. Yesterday, I drove up to retrieve it and....WOW!

LeftFront.jpg

RightFront.jpg

LeftProfile.jpg

RightRear.jpg

I designed the paint scheme, and Midwest Aircraft Refinishing in Hibbing MN put it on. The pictures don't really bring out the metallic in the paint very well - it just "pops" in the sunlight and looks better than I dreamt possible.

You know, I must have read it a thousand times but always discarded it - turns out it's true:

"Keep Banging Those Rivets - It's Worth It!"

Absolutely beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a beauty, I have been looking to do a very similar paint scheme, I love the look of the silver and red. Any numbers as far as CG and weight change?

Stunning!

The red plus the checkers on the tail will be good for at least 5 extra knots too! :p

Sweet! I know where I will be getting my aircraft painted when the time comes. Brad I have access to an L-19 for some air-to-air photos and Doug wants to get some shots of his RV-7. Give me a call.

Thanks everyone! I'm still super excited about how it came out. The only problem is that now I find myself thinking about what to build next on those bad weather days when I can't fly this one :)

I suppose I should ask what everyone here uses to wash their aircraft after it's been painted? The folks at Midwest gave me some suggestions on what to use (and what not to use - no more mineral spirits for cleaning the oil off the belly :) but I'm wondering what everyone else uses?

I have been thinking of painting my roll bar and canopy frame black and was wondering what it would look like. Your pictures just answered my question! Looks great! Did you repaint them black or have them stripped and powder coated black?

I have been thinking of painting my roll bar and canopy frame black and was wondering what it would look like. Your pictures just answered my question! Looks great! Did you repaint them black or have them stripped and powder coated black?

I stripped them and repainted them myself, leaving a clean strip for the Sikaflex primer (the only hole in the canopy is the one for the latch handle). It was a fair amount of work, more than I thought it would be, but I like the result.

I wish they used the same type of powder coat on the engine mount and landing gear as they did on the canopy roll bar and frame - there would be no scratches there if they did, I'm quite sure. :p

Great design Brad. Be sure to pass all these compliments on to the painters - I'm sure they'd love to hear them too!

Great design Brad. Be sure to pass all these compliments on to the painters - I'm sure they'd love to hear them too!

Yep, for sure. I passed the link onto them Friday morning after seeing Doug had linked to it from the front page.

I'm happy to report that the paint had only a slight effect on the static system. Previously, the error factor was about 2.8% which caused the airspeed indicator to read high by that amount. After paint, the error factor dropped to 2.2%. The static ports are the standard Van's blind rivet flavor.

Back