What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 - to Open Slider Canopy in Flight for Emergency Egress

Jumbo

Well Known Member
Hi,

My RV-3A which I recently got over to Europe from FL (thanks again Smokey) is being re-assembled and I suppose I will be flying in the next couple of weeks (bottleneck is the paperwork actually).

In gearing myself up for this I am investigating the use of a parachute and so I searched this forum. Having learned about different types of chutes the main issue is still if one is able to egress in emergency from a RV-3 with a slider canopy or not.

My first question is if it is possible to open the slider canopy in flight or not. So any input is welcome.

Second question is if it is likely that the canopy departs on his own when it is opened in flight.

Finally is there an idea to modify the canopy that it will depart actually in emergency.

Thanks, Heinz

very good thread indeed ...

many thanks, Jon.

From your experience/memory how much force did it require to keep the canopy open actually. Would you expect that the smaller/shorter RV-3 canopy behave different?

What I am thinking about is to use the stops you mention to keep the canopy wide open after it has been moved into into that position to prepare emergency egress.

Heinz

I have an RV3 with a slider canopy. There is no canopy latch, in flight air loads cause the canopy to slide closed.

I have a 3 inch long block of wood that I caqn lay in the track so as to have the canopy open 3 inches for extra ventilation. Works great, and keeps the canopy front bow from interfering with the top band of my headset.

I also carry a 12 inch piece of wood so I can prop the canopy open nearly all the way, and then the canopy front bow is behind the top of my head. This is especially nice for picture taking and low and slow flying . I try to keep the speed below 100 mph just because it seems sensible. Not too interested in any big projects fixing the airplane if I can avoid it.

Hope this info helps.

Peter
Battle Ground, WA
RV3
Cessna 210
Building Harmon Rocket

interesting stuff on canopy

Peter,

that is very interesting information and matches with the information Duncan from Texel (The Netherlands) gave me: he does not have a canopy latch too and says the canopy stays closed; check this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6GXz3-n2k8
www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMOrXbGHc4g

So I need to move towards a canopy lock maybe using your recomandations re distance.

Do you take off with the wood in place or are you able to slide the canopy back in flight when below 100 mph?

Best, Heinz

Or you could do this

Here is a open Canopy for my RV-3B that the builder made. Works good with just a little buffet on the rudder in flight. I believe a slightly taller fairing will take care of this.

6p7zn5.jpg

I can easily slide the canopy open in flight and then install the wood block, and of course can also close it again and resume going fast!

Peter

Back