What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Gusset Rivet/Hole Size.

JohnBruns

Friend
I am working on my RV-10 elevators. I have a question about hole size for the E-921 Elevator Gusset. Page 9-6 step 4 says to final drill with a #30 drill. Page 9-11 step 6 and page 9-14, step 2 indicate AN470AD4-4 rivets. However, my E-921 Elevator Gussets, E-1007 Rear Spars and E-905 Root Ribs were delivered with final size holes—no orange markings and I have confirmed the hole sizes. The holes in the Elevator Gussets and matching holes on the Rear Spars and Root Ribs are all #40 and match perfectly.

Should I match drill these holes to #30? Or are the plans a little behind the new parts process?

John Bruns
Education and Recreation
Learning a lot and still having fun!

I'm assembling my second elevator now. I forget if I had to final drill the gusset or not but I definitely used -4 rivets to attach the gusset to both the root rib and rear spar so go ahead and final drill those 4 holes #30. Note that the root rib attaches to the forward and aft spars with -3 rivets so don't drill out those holes! But the gusset is definitely -4.

Back