What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Treating a 14 with Corrosion X

GPV

Hi all,

I'm contemplating not priming my 14 but instead being diligent with corrosion X treatment after assembly and paint. Having never built a plane, I'm wondering how accessible all the various compartments in the wings and empennage are. Can you really get into all those places with the treatment? Is there adequate access?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Greg

Last edited:
Corrosion X

Hi all,

I'm contemplating not priming my 14 but instead being diligent with corrosion X treatment after assembly. Having never built a plane, I'm wondering how accessible all the various compartments in the wings and empennage are. Can you really get into all those places with the treatment? Is there adequate access?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Greg

I'm planning on using Corrosion X on all the alclad parts (which is most of the structure), but I'm still priming all the non-alclad parts. It seems you can get to most the compartments with even just the short "straw" tube, and definitely every compartment if you purchase a longer tube. The material spreads amazingly well, so no need to physically spray every nook.

Thanks to the other builders for mentioning NOT to spray Corrosion X before painting - I hadn't considered that Corrosion X spreads that much (i.e. to external surfaces), but it makes sense ... and now I'll hold off spraying.

_Alex

I owned an Archer for a few years and we applied Corrosion X to the wings in response to a fuel tank/wing spar SB. It was amazing how that stuff worked its way through every joint and faying surface.

I was glad for the protection, but it was a # to get it off the paint...wouldn't have applied it to bare metal that I planned to paint later.

Dave

When I owned a Cessna, I had it Corrosion X treated. Like someone already stated, it never stop's oozing and I was constantly wiping the airplane down. It also has an odor that you will smell whenever you are in the plane.

Or....

Prime during construction once, then never have the need for repeated Corrosion X applications over the life of the airplane. Leave Corrosion X for the spam can owners.

?Pay me now or pay me later.?

Carl

I partnered in a Mooney for a while and the other guy did his own Corrosion X treatment before I got involved. I was only involved with the plane a couple years but for the time I was in it, I could never keep the plane clean. You'd wash it and put it away and couple weeks later, you'd have corrosion X film from all the lap joints again. Then you'd fly it and any spec of dirt you passed
by would glom on and stick to the film and turn all the joints black.

Wash it, and it'd look great again. Two weeks later, it'd look like a barn find again. I wouldn't put that stuff in a plane I owned if they paid me.

Ok thanks everyone, maybe I will have to prime after all. Doesn't sound like corrosion X is much fun to deal with!

Cheers,

Greg

I think the paraffin based anti-corrosion products are for carg-type work and military planes.

Tenacious, anti-corrosive field-tested but very industrial.

Maybe if you paint your plane with a spray paint can it would be a good fit.

I think the paraffin based anti-corrosion products are for carg-type work and military planes.

Tenacious, anti-corrosive field-tested but very industrial.

Maybe if you paint your plane with a spray paint can it would be a good fit.

RP-342

Doesn?t run like corrosion-X

But still not like painting...

Back