What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop Govenor Rod End Attachment

Probably a stupid question however I was installing the prop govenor cable in the shop last night and came across a problem that has caused me to start scratching my head where the rod end attaches to the govenor arm.

Installation diagrams show a AN3-11A bolt with several washers passing through the rod end, another washer, through the govenor arm, washer and then metal lock nut. The direction the bolt is to be installed is from the govenor side of the govenor arm however the bolt is too long to fit between the govenor and the arm. Is there a trick other than removing the govenor arm and then trying to reassemble with the correct spring tension?

Many thanks,

Rob

Rob,
The governor shaft extends as the arm is rotated. A shorter bolt may work if you have well-alligned cable approach; fewer washers for rod end housing clearance.

Rob,

Nothing wrong with installing the bolt in the other direction as long as you have enough clearance to show a few threads after the nut is installed.

Probably a stupid question however I was installing the prop govenor cable in the shop last night and came across a problem that has caused me to start scratching my head where the rod end attaches to the govenor arm.

Installation diagrams show a AN3-11A bolt with several washers passing through the rod end, another washer, through the govenor arm, washer and then metal lock nut. The direction the bolt is to be installed is from the govenor side of the govenor arm however the bolt is too long to fit between the govenor and the arm. Is there a trick other than removing the govenor arm and then trying to reassemble with the correct spring tension?

Many thanks,

Rob

Hi Rob,

Have a look at this thread. I had the same issue with the Hartzell governor...

Chris

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=56174

There should be a large area washer outside of the rod end, just in case the ball decides to part company with the housing.

Dont forget it.

Sucess

Thanks all for your help and input. For others, what I ended up doing was:

Install the bolt from the firewall side with 3 off AN960-10 washers, then the govenor bracket, 1 off 5702-75-60 washer, Rod end, 1 off 5702-75-60 washer and then the MS21042-3 nut. Now that Mike has explained what the 5702-475-48 large area washer is for, I will revisit and hopefully there is enough threads still on clear of the nut.

The 3 off AN960-10 washers under the bolt head are needed for the threaded end to clear the screws that hold the cable mounting bracket and even rotating the govenor arm (it does extend out just as one poster replied) does not allow enough cleanance to get the bolt in as per the instructions.

Thanks all for your help. Lucky Experimentals are for learning!!

Gettin g that AN3-11 bolt onto the Govenor Arm

I'm doing this bolt now. All the same issues. Your solution is best so far. But question. If you are using the 3 washers just to shorten the bolt so thread end doesn't hit the casing screw heads why not just use a shorter bolt like a -10? I can probably get a -10 in like it shows from the inside.

I just removed my MT governor for SB27. I removed the shaft screw and pushed the shaft over without removing it from the splines. This allowed installation of the bolt. Then reinstalled the screw.
image_zpsmqsopfml.jpeg

I just thread-bumped an old thread I started on this 7 years ago, showing an easy mod to the bracket that solves all these issues. Look for the thread now, or search "governor bracket modification" by scsmith in the advanced search.

I just removed the arm, installed all the hardware, then put the arm back on the governor. Easy peasy.

ETA: Like many others, I did have to reclock mine on the bench first, following the instructions in the link posted way up above.

Last edited:
An3-11 into the Govenor arm

Update. I ended up sliding the arm out a little. For future builders it is not hard. Only thing is the cable will have to be screwed into the bearing.

Update. I ended up sliding the arm out a little. For future builders it is not hard. Only thing is the cable will have to be screwed into the bearing.

having to screw the cable into the rod-end bearing is kind of a pain on initial install, and essentially impossible on a R&R. Modifying the bracket as I did makes ALL these problems go away.

Thanks to Mike S. for adding the link to the old thread. I used to know how to do that, but couldn't figure it out.

I don't recall having to do this...I think with a little patience setting up the proper length, installing the cable, and as the last step, just removing the arm, putting the bearing on it, and reinstalling the arm, it was pretty simple (except for the contortions to get my arm in to the governor location).

Back