What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plane Power 60 amp alternator issue

Shadetree

Well Known Member
Not sure if it is a Plane Power problem or not but here is what is happening to me. I started out on a flight on Friday and after in the air noticed my fuel flow was way higher than it should be on the D180 and started looking at the other things on the screen. I noticed that the alternator wasn't charging and my voltage was dropping slowly, so I turned around and went back to my home airport and drove for 17 hours. Today I pulled the alternator (60 amp Plane Power with internal regulator) that has no more than 60 hours on it, took it to the parts house and checked it. Didn't find any issues. Put it back on, ran it up on the ground and everything was normal. Cowled the plane back up and went on a flight and the same thing happened. No breakers tripped, just not charging and the voltage slowly going down. Didn't find any broken wires. Gave up after dark and came home.

I am wondering if heat is causing the alternator to stop charging or if the heat is affecting the plug connector where the wiring plugs into the alternator.

I was hoping someone might have seen this before. I need this resolved because my mom is not well and I need to making this trip regularly.
Thanks for any help.

Had similar dropping voltage reading on my D-180 and thought it was the alternator. After putting a voltmeter directly on the battery bus, found that the alternator was OK. Turned out to be the circuit breaker for the D-180.

I have a separate volt meter that agrees with my D180, so I think the plug might be the issue.
Will check it out after work today.

I took checked the connections, traced wiring, checked voltage. Turns out it is the alternator itself. Took it to a shop and found the stator wires broken. Called plane power to get a replacement alternator and they gave me a couple of distributors phone numbers. So far no joy finding a replacement from distributors close by.

I found a replacement alternator at AS, but the alternator in more expensive than the complete kit.

I have talked to 4 vendors so far. Chief, Aviall, Quality Aircraft, AS.
Anyone know other vendors I could call for Plane Power alternators?
Plane Power said I would need to contact an authorized vendor to order.

I found a replacement alternator at AS, but the alternator in more expensive than the complete kit.

I have talked to 4 vendors so far. Chief, Aviall, Quality Aircraft, AS.
Anyone know other vendors I could call for Plane Power alternators?
Plane Power said I would need to contact an authorized vendor to order.

Plane Power does not manufacture the alternator - can an alternator shop find the OEM alternator's replacement stator? This is what Lesters is for, it's what they do. With proper dimensions the shop can call Lesters or their suppliers, who work with them, and identify a proper replacement. A typical stator is only $40-$60

Or just buy a new one.

Edit: just in case someone needs a stator, ASPWholesale.com can get one. Just use the 1995 Toyota Tercel 60A version as the base unit. $55.

Last edited:
Thanks. The alternator shop did find the parts that I needed so I should be back in the air tomorrow. I think I will start keeping one on the shelf.
I have always been a fan of B&C. Ran their starters and alternators for well over 650 hours with no issues. Now this at 170 hours. And, my prop is balanced.

Thanks. The alternator shop did find the parts that I needed so I should be back in the air tomorrow. I think I will start keeping one on the shelf.
I have always been a fan of B&C. Ran their starters and alternators for well over 650 hours with no issues. Now this at 170 hours. And, my prop is balanced.

Excellent, would you mind sharing the part number for the stator?

Plane Power NOT helpful

Please post the shop name and address in Kansas, that repaired your stator coil. I have the same problem, only I have 59 hours on the unit. I removed the back cover of the alternator and discovered one of the stator wires was broken. Plane Power did not help. For as much as we pay for these things, "$450.00+", you would think an exchange program could be setup. My thinking is since the alternator shop you used has seen these alternators, I could ship it to then for service.

My unit is: Plane Power AL12-E160/B (60 amp, boss mount)

Last edited:
Please post the shop name and address in Kansas, that repaired your stator coil. I have the same problem, only I have 59 hours on the unit. I removed the back cover of the alternator and discovered one of the stator wires was broken. Plane Power did not help. For as much as we pay for these things, "$450.00+", you would think an exchange program could be setup. My thinking is since the alternator shop you used has seen these alternators, I could ship it to then for service.

My unit is: Plane Power AL12-E160/B (60 amp, buss mount)

Ditto this request:
My alternator has occasionally but unpredictably given me me tripped alt field issues on startup. Now, just last night, at about 200 tach hours, the alternator stopped sending voltage to the battery and I started getting low voltage warnings. Before I get rid of the plane power and just go to a cheap auto version, I'd like to know where I can get this looked at/serviced.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have been trying to identify the name brand alternator and dimensions that this PP is based on. I have been unwilling to dissemble my new one.

There some large suppliers of will-fit stators and regulators, but need the dimensions. I thinkit is a ND alternator, but there are several (4?) stator sizes. If you could take it apart and measure the diameter of the rotor, ID and OD of the stator, you can likely just order the parts.

I called the shop above and the guy could not (or would not) tell me what part number he used, but definitely said it was a Denso (ND) alternator guts.

Here is one of the wholesale supply houses. They do list dimensions of the stators. http://www.aspwholesale.com/alternator-rebuild-kits.html

or http://store.alternatorparts.com/partno278201.aspx

Please let us know what you find for dimensions.

Last edited:
Plane power

I had the same issue with my plane power alternator. It is still under warranty so the sent me a new one but it did leave me stranded. The first time they said it was the internal regulated that failed. The second time those said it was vibrations. My plane seems smooth to me but I plan on getting a dynamic balance just in case.

Plane power 60 amp

Had my stator replaced today- kmorris is correct- unipoint mfg ND design copy, I'll measure my failed stator and report back. Data point- 286 hrs, no blast cooling tube. I'll probably add one now,

Had my stator replaced today- kmorris is correct- unipoint mfg ND design copy, I'll measure my failed stator and report back. Data point- 286 hrs, no blast cooling tube. I'll probably add one now,
Who fixed it, Danny? I'd like to possibly give them more business. It's hard to find people who want to work on it when its got the words PLANE Power on the side!

Plane Power

Steve- local shop to me. J&J Starter in Baker, Louisiana. Jerry the owner had no problem doing the work when he understood it was experimental. It's a common Nippon Denso design- any quality shop should have no trouble repairing it. He replaced the stator and regulator assembly.

Looking forward to the dimensions !! Thanks

What is the indicator you have that the root cause was temperature? It was the stator that failed, right? Were the connector wires intact but shorted within the windings?

I, too experienced a failed regulator and stator coil within 75 hours. PP was excellent at replacing parts/replacing the alternator under warranty.

It would be a great service to the community if we had replacement parts identified by mfr # so that these could be repaired in the field. It was a pain to ship my alternator internationally when their was possibility of local repair.

I also had a failed 35A alternator after 300 hrs on my RV-9A, but I replaced it locally. For a part that frequently fails, it sure makes sense to have a local repair source.

I guess what I'm saying is that PP should publish the common repair part numbers so that we can perform local repairs.... the alternators are, after all, for airplanes that we've managed to build ourselves. We should be able to repair them ourselves. Even putting the repair parts on Aircraft Spruce would be a huge benefit. Spruce holds stock all over the world.

V

Unipoint Alternators

All -
I did a quick web search and found Unipoint's web site. They have a significant number of catalogs available for download, and they have cross-reference numbers as well as some dimensions. A quick perusal of their alternator catalog shows a lot if them that look very similar to the 70amp PP on my airplane. Should be very helpful. Unipoint.com should get you there.

Addendum - by comparing images and searching auto parts, I found a likely replacement for my 70A at Advance Auto Parts - reman, not new, for $129.99 with a limited lifetime replacement. Of course, this has not been verified by looking at one in the flesh, so to speak, but it looks promising.

Last edited:
All -
Addendum - by comparing images and searching auto parts, I found a likely replacement for my 70A at Advance Auto Parts - reman, not new, for $129.99 with a limited lifetime replacement. Of course, this has not been verified by looking at one in the flesh, so to speak, but it looks promising.

Sam,
Part number? My PP just crapped out last Sunday. Pulled it today. This is the second failure in 450 hours. Not impressed. I'm going to see about a local repair, but I would like to get a Wiki of part numbers, etc. going for the PP. Doug?

BTW, it's http://www.unipoint.com.tw/ Need the .tw or you get a technology company

I got a 50 Amp ND alternator set up for non-standard rotation (to help cooling). It was $40 from amazon or autozone. It's cheap enough that you can keep a spare in your baggage area. However, you can usually pick one up at a local auto parts store 7 days a week. Far greater utility in my mind than the PP. Sure, it may only last several hundred hours, but at $40 it could be replaced preventatively at 500 hours.

I can't believe that PP would use a cheap knock-off alternator and charge $500 for it.

Larry

Advance Auto Parts

Mike -
With the proviso that I have not had my hands on one, check part # 13326A. Acura Integra 1992 1.6l - the graphic appears to be identical to my 70A PP. pricing for my zip code is $129.99 with a $26 core charge. Lifetime limited warranty.

Sam

I got a 50 Amp ND alternator set up for non-standard rotation (to help cooling). It was $40 from amazon or autozone. It's cheap enough that you can keep a spare in your baggage area. However, you can usually pick one up at a local auto parts store 7 days a week. Far greater utility in my mind than the PP. Sure, it may only last several hundred hours, but at $40 it could be replaced preventatively at 500 hours.

I can't believe that PP would use a cheap knock-off alternator and charge $500 for it.

Larry
Larry, is this attached to a plane power mounting bracket? Is it externally regulated? These are the two ideal features I'm looking for in order to dump my plane power.

FWIW, all pre-2000 Honda FWD 4-cylinders run "backwards" compared to almost all other automotive engines and therefore have the correct cooling fans to work with our Lycomings.

I've been using a 1986 Civic 60A ND alternator on my -6 for the past 9 years and ~700 hours and have had no issues (yet... knock on wood). I got the thing from a local Pick-Your-Part and rebuilt it myself, so I have about $40 invested so far. The original multi-rib pulley was swapped for an earlier V-belt version. I also reverse-engineered a PP internal regulator and applied the mod to mine so that I have complete control over field power. (The "complete control" part being the primary reason for desiring an external regulator). If you're interested in making the PP mod to your own ND alternator, PM me and I'll show you how.

Heinrich

This is the company that I had fix my Plane Power 60 amp units. The unit was more than 2 years old which put it out of warranty (58 total hours of use). The alternator had a stator wire fail at the coil.

Liberal Magneto Company
749 South Kansas Ave
Liberal, KS 67901
620-624-7654
Ask for Mike

Hope this helps.

This is the company that I had fix my Plane Power 60 amp units. The unit was more than 2 years old which put it out of warranty (58 total hours of use). The alternator had a stator wire fail at the coil.

Liberal Magneto Company
749 South Kansas Ave
Liberal, KS 67901
620-624-7654
Ask for Mike

Hope this helps.

They fixed my Plane Power alternator too.

Another plane power failure. 350 hours over 2years. Was intermittent for a couple of days then stopped.

Purchased from Vans, out of warranty, considering the high failure rate not sure what to replace it with.

The failure mode consisted of the voltage fluctuating between 12 and 14 for a couple of days. Seemed like a loose field connection. I checked all connections, squeezed the terminals closed, still no joy.

Went to the alternator shop, they put it on the tester and it worked. Got a spare plug from them, installed it in the plane and now it works again.

I cannot see anything wrong with the original plug but obviously there is something wrong inside

The failure mode consisted of the voltage fluctuating between 12 and 14 for a couple of days. Seemed like a loose field connection. I checked all connections, squeezed the terminals closed, still no joy.

Went to the alternator shop, they put it on the tester and it worked. Got a spare plug from them, installed it in the plane and now it works again.

I cannot see anything wrong with the original plug but obviously there is something wrong inside

Did you pot the backside of the new connector to stabilize the terminals within?

Did you pot the backside of the new connector to stabilize the terminals within?

The new plug is automotive ( very used and provided free), very similar in design to PP , however, the holes the pins go into in the plug seem much smaller in diameter and I think will grip the pins tighter.

I did not pot the backside as there is already rubber filling the holes and supporting the wire , also no room left to pot.

Peter

The new plug is automotive ( very used and provided free), very similar in design to PP , however, the holes the pins go into in the plug seem much smaller in diameter and I think will grip the pins tighter.

I did not pot the backside as there is already rubber filling the holes and supporting the wire , also no room left to pot.

Peter

I ordered new terminals (sumitomo), connector, and the back plugs from this company as a backup. http://www.driftmotion.com/category-s/1847.htm

We don't have to settle for used parts, except until the new parts arrive.

Go B&C and move on to other problems- 'cause you wont have this one any more

I just sold my 1990 Glasair III. i had 25 years and 2100 hours on my original B&C alternator. I asked them if I should send it in when I overhauled my engine at 1800 hours, and they said they'd be glad to look at it, but would probably just clean it and send it back. They've seen units need no work at 3000 hours!
Good product, great people!

Larry, is this attached to a plane power mounting bracket? Is it externally regulated? These are the two ideal features I'm looking for in order to dump my plane power.

Sorry that I missed this. I wanted and purchased an externally regulated alternator. I believe that the modern, solid-state external regulators will outlast the internal's, due to less heat and vibration.

Mine was mounted using the Van's provided bracket. Not sure if that is the same as the PP. I used steel spacers and washer to get my pulley alignment.

In the end, I wound up fabricating (cutting/welding) my old generator bracket as I thought the Van's was too thin and flimsy. I have an old case without the alternator boss.

Larry

Well, my latest PP 60A alternator failure was not an "alternator" failure per se, but a failure of the PP supplied pin. The pin fractured from vibration because it was not supported with the connector system bellows/seal or anything else. Luckily, I had ordered a spare connector, pins, and bellows per the above vendor and was able to crimp on a new pin. I have backfilled the other pins with RTV to provide support since I couldn't put the bellows/seal on an already terminated wire.

Recommend you pot your connector wires with RTV if you haven't already.

2ut18hz.jpg

Here is a list of parts for the Plane Power 60A alternator.
This are my best guesses. I have not ordered anything except the connector, but these look close! Buy at your own risk, but if you do verify, please post the part that did fit and work. Thanks.

Plane Power 60A Alternator

Rectifier: INR737 $39.95 >>> this seems to work. Fits, but has a shorter terminal. Unfortunately, I had a broken stator wire at the rectifier screw.
INR724 $39.95 >>> may also work. Has the longer terminal that matches the PlanePower length.
Regulator IN257 ? $49.95
Bearing: 61014 ???
(alternatorparts.com)

Mating Connector: DM2085 $6.99
Pins: DM3284 $0.69
Seals: DM1598 $0.50
(driftmotion.com)

Last edited:
Interesting Video

Don't get dizzy - -

Here is a video of the Paseo alternator dissemble (partial) and it has a link to a components supplier. As best as I can tell (not having purchased one) the size, clocking, and mounts are the same as the Plane Power EI60. Clearly the VR internals are different. Note the radial screws where the stator wire connect. A point of failure so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5-SEjjgfWQ

This are my best guesses. I have not ordered anything except the connector, but these look close! Buy at your own risk, but if you do verify, please post the part that did fit and work. Thanks.

Rectifier: INR737 $39.95 >>> this seems to work. Fits, but has a shorter terminal. Unfortunately, I had a broken stator wire at the rectifier screw.
INR724 $39.95 >>> may also work. Has the longer terminal that matches the PlanePower length.
Regulator IN257 ? $49.95
(alternatorparts.com)

(driftmotion.com)

Adding to this list of P/Ns from FL-Mike...

Maybe this will help somebody out...

After 1225 hours I had some broken stator wires, common problem. That may or may not have led to a failed rectifier replaced this spring. If anybody is ever looking for a replacement stator for their Plane Power 60 Amp AL12-EI60B alternator, the part number to find is:

Denso 27-8209, 27-8200/340-52005

The stator is 36 slots, 100 mm OD, 77 mm ID, 25-26 mm long (laminated steel core). With the copper windings the length is 54 mm. ~15AWG wire (0.058 in dia).

Online prices range from $22- $50. Takes about an hour to swap out, a little fiddly but pretty straightforward.

Sources current as of this writing include:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HFGR9PR/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_1YYT90PTY1SK9T9K6XRJ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Stator...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electrical...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

https://issuu.com/arrowheadep/docs/componentscatalog/72

https://www.innovav.top/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=736338

I was unable to find the P/N for this stator despite hours of searching the forums, so hope this might help somebody out sometime. Good luck.

Great contribution

Thanks for adding this information to this thread and the other PP alternator thread! This adds a lot of value to those of us running and maintaining PP alternators.

Stator

Try this, I looked it up some time ago but have not sourced one. One other was found, but still looking for the reference. There are many alternators on this page that can be used for reference. stator only!

PP will fit 100mm stator.png

Regulator IN257 ? $49.95
(alternatorparts.com)

(driftmotion.com)

I can confirm that the INR724 is an exact fit. My bench test on the repaired PP alternator was successful. Used an electric drill with a 3/4” socket to drive the pully, and wired up a small 12V Battery for testig.

Scoped the waveform, looks good.

5FB1BDA2-9D21-4989-B343-9C043C5B2C0F.jpg

The old diode pack shown.

Back