What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What anti-seize compound high temp do you use?

dabney

Well Known Member
Friend
Starting first RV12 condition inspection. Maint manual calls for lubricating ball joints and exhaust hardware with high temp anti-seize compound...One RV builder buddy says he uses spark plug anti-seize. Anybody have other recommendations??

Permatex? US Part Number: 77124
Nickel Anti-Seize Lubricant
Category: Specialty Lubricants - Anti-Seize
Protects metal parts from seizing and galling at temperatures up to 2400?F (1316?C). It is recommended where copper contamination must be avoided, under conditions of extreme pressure and temperature, and with stainless steel, titanium and nickel alloys.

I've been using Loctite LB771 Nickel Anti-Seize which is rated to 2,400 degrees on the exhaust joints of my RV-12. Sounds like it is similar to the Permatex product previously mentioned.

The main takeaway ... select a nickel based product for the ball joints on the RV-12's stainless exhaust pipes and NOT an anti-seize product that is copper based (as many are).

Happy flying,

Last edited:
Permatex? US Part Number: 77124
Nickel Anti-Seize Lubricant
Category: Specialty Lubricants - Anti-Seize
Protects metal parts from seizing and galling at temperatures up to 2400?F (1316?C). It is recommended where copper contamination must be avoided, under conditions of extreme pressure and temperature, and with stainless steel, titanium and nickel alloys.

+1

It's also the product Beechcraft recommends for their engine exhaut slipjoints if that helps reinforce the idea.

I do want to point out that anything you apply to exhaust slip joints will dry out and burn off eventually, however residuals from nickel anti-seize tends to work the best. Mouse Milk is a penetrating oil, which is useful for disassembling joints and applying at annual or even at oil changes to reduce corrosion and sticking in slip joints, but for assembly, anti-seize is the right product.

Advice/experience

I would like some advice/experience on lubrication of the slip joints on a vetterman exhaust (IO320).
How do you apply any anti-seize lubricant into the already existing joint - it seems far too tight a fit for any lubricant to penetrate ?

Do you need to remove sections of the exhaust to ensure the lubricant fully covers the inner surface of the joint ?

Thanks

I would like some advice/experience on lubrication of the slip joints on a vetterman exhaust (IO320).
How do you apply any anti-seize lubricant into the already existing joint - it seems far too tight a fit for any lubricant to penetrate ?

Do you need to remove sections of the exhaust to ensure the lubricant fully covers the inner surface of the joint ?

Thanks

Years ago, Vetterman recommended Mouse Milk. I believe that is what is still recommended as I have not heard about or seen an update.

Back