What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seeking XM Satellite wx PIREP on coverage for Canada

dabney

Well Known Member
Friend
Planning a flight across the middle of Canada from west to east. I have a XM Satellite wx subscription which I really like for the USA. I'm wondering how the coverage is across the middle of Canada. The XM satellite weather website shows a map of coverage area covering most of Canada with a few exceptions.

Anybody have a PIREP on this subject?

Also, which flying apps have coverage for Canada. I use primarily WingXPro and really like it for the USA flying but I don't see coverage for Canada.

Any suggestions appreciated.

I just returned from flying up to Quebec. Last year I flew up to Banff. On both occasions the xmwx coverage was intermittent and did not extend very far up into Canada. You can purchase coverage specifically for Canada.

The only ADS-B that works up there is air to air traffic, and that is just for Adsb out aircraft. You will be able to receive some wx as long as you are close to the us border and receiving ground based stations.

As for flight planning, FltPlan.com and the FltPlan go app are the way to go. You can download all of the us charts and Canadian charts/plates for free.

XM weather in Canada

The XM service in Canada is pretty good across the country. You will get reception pretty far north but anything north of 60 is unreliable. The high resolution radar is very similar to Nexrad in the US. Metars and TAFs are also available for all the major airports. Even though you have XM reception very far north, weather radar does not cover the entire country so XM can only pass to you what it is being provided by the ground based radars. For radar coverage areas check out this link:

https://weather.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=wrn

Your US XM aviation subscription should include Canadian content just as my Canadian subscription includes data for all North America.

You are partially correct IRT cad coverage with xmwx. You must have the proper subscription to obtain cad wx. The basic aviator lite subscription does not include Canada. The aviator and aviator pro do include Canada

Back