What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting my RV-8A

rdg

How much paint do I need to paint the exterior of my RV-8A? Basic one color with some highlights.

I'm painting my RV6A, single stage one color. A local painter that has painted multiple RV's told me to buy 3 gallons, so I did. I'll be shooting color shortly.

How much paint do I need to paint the exterior of my RV-8A? Basic one color with some highlights.

Have you painted before? I hadn't painted anything before my -6 and ended up wasting a lot of paint teaching myself to paint.

I'd agree with the 3 gallon suggestion if you have a clue about what you're doing. If you don't, I'd add a gallon just in case.

Better, buy a quart or two of cheap paint from Summit Racing or equivalent and teach yourself to paint before moving on to put expensive paint on your airplane.

I painted my -8 with 1.75 gal. of base Nasson paint. After mixing that was probably 3 gallons sprayed.

I know weight's a significant concern, but be careful going light/thin. I went so light that I cannot really do any cut & buff on mine where it has imperfections. Sure wish I'd applied a little more paint.

Paint needed

Take your wing Aires (cord times span) multiple by 3. You now have the approximate aeria of the intire plane. Check with the paint manufacturer on coverage of paint. That’ll generally have a formula. Then get a little extra to practice with. Remember a pint after mixing reducer etc often nearly doubles the amount you can apply, but it (the reducer, flex agent etcetra) flashes off. I’m old school so dust coat befor first coat then wate appropriate time fore second coat. Watch for orngpeel (not enough flow/paint. Runs too much paint). Have fun and try not to stress over it.

One caveat prep is everything. And cleanliness is the difference between a good paint job and a fair one.

Hope this helps RD

Back