What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N Numbers

mdmba

so i have NO fashion sense at all..ask my wife..she dresses me...

need help on N number colors/style

Top 1/2 is bright red, bottoms 1/2 white...

i want 12inch letters...as i plan to visit my O Canada homeland often

gonna do the vinyl ones..easy to put on

just need input on color, and style...

what have you guys liked/disliked about your N numbers...

thanks in advance

Do It Yourself Lettering

First get your wife next to the computer, then go to the website below. Type your N number in the text box, pick your N number size in inches, change font(many to pick from), color, borders, and shadows, and see what your changes will look like as you change them. When she sees the one she likes, order. Don't ask me how I know this. LOL. They are very reasonable and fast. Had mine in three days. Very easy to put on. All you do is peal the back off, place, and remove the front.

http://doityourselflettering.com/create/

Brian

Last edited:
Font Selection

That's a pretty neat website. There are a lot of very cool, different fonts available. I wonder what the regs say as far as being able to read the number. Probably worth a search.

Thanks!

IIRC 12 inch numbers needed to cross an ADIZ area.

Canada should be OK with 3 inch numbers.

ifim02.gif

no ADIZ is being penetrated@!!!!!!

sadly, this common rumour explains why ( even Canadians) don't visit more often! Just a looooong pretend line in the forest....no ADIZ.
as you cross, you may want to address ATC with, 'eh' instead of 'hey.
caution: 2 beers may make aviating the next day problematic.

nope, No special markings required, and your dollar is worth about $1.33 here, so come on up! :)
avgas many places about $5/USGal... after you do the exchange!

(but......please don't rely on my math skills!)

sadly, this common rumour explains why ( even Canadians) don't visit more often! Just a looooong pretend line in the forest....no ADIZ.
as you cross, you may want to address ATC with, 'eh' instead of 'hey.
caution: 2 beers may make aviating the next day problematic.

nope, No special markings required, and your dollar is worth about $1.33 here, so come on up! :)
avgas many places about $5/USGal... after you do the exchange!

(but......please don't rely on my math skills!)

Y'all just go ahead and turn on the heater, I'll be there when it warms up a bit.

so i have NO fashion sense at all..ask my wife..she dresses me...

need help on N number colors/style

Top 1/2 is bright red, bottoms 1/2 white...

gonna do the vinyl ones..easy to put on

just need input on color, and style...

what have you guys liked/disliked about your N numbers...

thanks in advance

Be careful. You may want to discuss this with your DAR. You can read the regulations here:

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...=14:1.0.1.3.22

Excerpt:

Subpart C?Nationality and Registration Marks

?45.21 General.

(a) Except as provided in ?45.22, no person may operate a U.S.-registered aircraft unless that aircraft displays nationality and registration marks in accordance with the requirements of this section and ??45.23 through 45.33.

(b) Unless otherwise authorized by the FAA, no person may place on any aircraft a design, mark, or symbol that modifies or confuses the nationality and registration marks.

(c) Aircraft nationality and registration marks must?

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (d) of this section, be painted on the aircraft or affixed by any other means insuring a similar degree of permanence;

(2) Have no ornamentation;

(3) Contrast in color with the background; and

(4) Be legible.

(d) The aircraft nationality and registration marks may be affixed to an aircraft with readily removable material if?

(1) It is intended for immediate delivery to a foreign purchaser;

(2) It is bearing a temporary registration number; or

(3) It is marked temporarily to meet the requirements of ?45.22(c)(1) or ?45.29(h) of this part, or both.

?45.22 Exhibition, antique, and other aircraft: Special rules.

(a) When display of aircraft nationality and registration marks in accordance with ??45.21 and 45.23 through 45.33 would be inconsistent with exhibition of that aircraft, a U.S.-registered aircraft may be operated without displaying those marks anywhere on the aircraft if:

(1) It is operated for the purpose of exhibition, including a motion picture or television production, or an airshow;

(2) Except for practice and test fights necessary for exhibition purposes, it is operated only at the location of the exhibition, between the exhibition locations, and between those locations and the base of operations of the aircraft; and

(3) For each flight in the United States:

(i) It is operated with the prior approval of the Flight Standards District Office, in the case of a flight within the lateral boundaries of the surface areas of Class B, Class C, Class D, or Class E airspace designated for the takeoff airport, or within 4.4 nautical miles of that airport if it is within Class G airspace; or

(ii) It is operated under a flight plan filed under either ?91.153 or ?91.169 of this chapter describing the marks it displays, in the case of any other flight.

(b) A small U.S.-registered aircraft built at least 30 years ago or a U.S.-registered aircraft for which an experimental certificate has been issued under ?21.191(d) or 21.191(g) for operation as an exhibition aircraft or as an amateur-built aircraft and which has the same external configuration as an aircraft built at least 30 years ago may be operated without displaying marks in accordance with ??45.21 and 45.23 through 45.33 if:

(1) It displays in accordance with ?45.21(c) marks at least 2 inches high on each side of the fuselage or vertical tail surface consisting of the Roman capital letter ?N? followed by:

(i) The U.S. registration number of the aircraft; or

(ii) The symbol appropriate to the airworthiness certificate of the aircraft (?C?, standard; ?R?, restricted; ?L?, limited; or ?X?, experimental) followed by the U.S. registration number of the aircraft; and

(2) It displays no other mark that begins with the letter ?N? anywhere on the aircraft, unless it is the same mark that is displayed under paragraph (b)(1) of this section.

(c) No person may operate an aircraft under paragraph (a) or (b) of this section?

(1) In an ADIZ or DEWIZ described in Part 99 of this chapter unless it temporarily bears marks in accordance with ??45.21 and 45.23 through 45.33;

(2) In a foreign country unless that country consents to that operation; or

(3) In any operation conducted under Part 121, 133, 135, or 137 of this chapter.

(d) If, due to the configuration of an aircraft, it is impossible for a person to mark it in accordance with ??45.21 and 45.23 through 45.33, he may apply to the FAA for a different marking procedure.

?45.23 Display of marks; general.

(a) Each operator of an aircraft must display on that aircraft marks consisting of the Roman capital letter ?N? (denoting United States registration) followed by the registration number of the aircraft. Each suffix letter used in the marks displayed must also be a Roman capital letter.

(b) When marks include only the Roman capital letter ?N? and the registration number is displayed on limited, restricted or light-sport category aircraft or experimental or provisionally certificated aircraft, the operator must also display on that aircraft near each entrance to the cabin, cockpit, or pilot station, in letters not less than 2 inches nor more than 6 inches high, the words ?limited,? ?restricted,? ?light-sport,? ?experimental,? or ?provisional,? as applicable.

?45.25 Location of marks on fixed-wing aircraft.

(a) The operator of a fixed-wing aircraft must display the required marks on either the vertical tail surfaces or the sides of the fuselage, except as provided in ?45.29(f).

(b) The marks required by paragraph (a) of this section must be displayed as follows:

(1) If displayed on the vertical tail surfaces, horizontally on both surfaces, horizontally on both surfaces of a single vertical tail or on the outer surfaces of a multivertical tail. However, on aircraft on which marks at least 3 inches high may be displayed in accordance with ?45.29(b)(1), the marks may be displayed vertically on the vertical tail surfaces.

(2) If displayed on the fuselage surfaces, horizontally on both sides of the fuselage between the trailing edge of the wing and the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer. However, if engine pods or other appurtenances are located in this area and are an integral part of the fuselage side surfaces, the operator may place the marks on those pods or appurtenances.

?45.29 Size of marks.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (f) of this section, each operator of an aircraft must display marks on the aircraft meeting the size requirements of this section.

(b) Height. Except as provided in paragraph (h) of this part, the nationality and registration marks must be of equal height and on?

(1) Fixed-wing aircraft, must be at least 12 inches high, except that:

(i) An aircraft displaying marks at least 2 inches high before November 1, 1981 and an aircraft manufactured after November 2, 1981, but before January 1, 1983, may display those marks until the aircraft is repainted or the marks are repainted, restored, or changed;

(ii) Marks at least 3 inches high may be displayed on a glider;

(iii) Marks at least 3 inches high may be displayed on an aircraft for which the FAA has issued an experimental certificate under ?21.191 (d), ?21.191 (g), or ?21.191 (i) of this chapter to operate as an exhibition aircraft, an amateur-built aircraft, or a light-sport aircraft when the maximum cruising speed of the aircraft does not exceed 180 knots CAS; and

(iv) Marks may be displayed on an exhibition, antique, or other aircraft in accordance with ?45.22.

(2) Airships, spherical balloons, nonspherical balloons, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft must be at least 3 inches high; and

(3) Rotorcraft, must be at least 12 inches high, except that rotorcraft displaying before April 18, 1983, marks required by ?45.29(b)(3) in effect on April 17, 1983, and rotorcraft manufactured on or after April 18, 1983, but before December 31, 1983, may display those marks until the aircraft is repainted or the marks are repainted, restored, or changed.

(c) Width. Characters must be two-thirds as wide as they are high, except the number ?1?, which must be one-sixth as wide as it is high, and the letters ?M? and ?W? which may be as wide as they are high.

(d) Thickness. Characters must be formed by solid lines one-sixth as thick as the character is high.

(e) Spacing. The space between each character may not be less than one-fourth of the character width.

(f) If either one of the surfaces authorized for displaying required marks under ?45.25 is large enough for display of marks meeting the size requirements of this section and the other is not, full size marks must be placed on the larger surface. If neither surface is large enough for full-size marks, marks as large as practicable must be displayed on the larger of the two surfaces. If no surface authorized to be marked by ?45.27 is large enough for full-size marks, marks as large as practicable must be placed on the largest of the authorized surfaces. However, powered parachutes and weight-shift-control aircraft must display marks at least 3 inches high.

(g) Uniformity. The marks required by this part for fixed-wing aircraft must have the same height, width, thickness, and spacing on both sides of the aircraft.

(h) After March 7, 1988, each operator of an aircraft penetrating an ADIZ or DEWIZ must display on that aircraft temporary or permanent nationality and registration marks at least 12 inches high.

If you really want to know what the international rules for registration marks are, then you need to check out ICAO Annex 7

The US have filed a difference with ICAO so you are not required to have the under wing markings that most other countries require for their own aircraft.

So strictly, they should be 300mm high, un-ornamented and clearly contrast with the background.

Or you could do what a lot of people do...put on a vinyl sticker N-number that complies with all those rules about sizes and widths and ratios, for the inspection... "know what I'm sayin'?"

Ahhh, another mountain out of a mole hill. Do whatever size you prefer (3" or 12") as long as all other requirements are complied with. If you do the 3" and need 12" numbers for a particular flight, just use painters tape which are 100% authorized.

:cool:

Last edited:
Help

All this is giving me a headache.
I'll need the N number for the DAR and plan to paint after a 25-50 hour period.
Can anyone list the font, contrast, etc that they use on the do-it-yourself site?
Just trying to keep it simple.
Thanks,

All this is giving me a headache.
I'll need the N number for the DAR and plan to paint after a 25-50 hour period.
Can anyone list the font, contrast, etc that they use on the do-it-yourself site?
Just trying to keep it simple.
Thanks,
1 - Select your size (I fly international a lot so went with 12")
2 - Select location (Along side the fuselage for me)
3 - Select font & color (I used Comic Sans (bold, italics), Gold with Black outline)

For details see post #7. I did a vinyl sticker 1st just to make sure I liked it, then had them painted on. YMMV

BlanquitaatCozumel_zpsb8348fd1.jpg

Not an RV, but you get the idea. :cool:

Last edited:
If it's just for the inspection and first few hours, go to Home Depot and buy some numbers, stick them on, and decide on the final version later. Or you could keep them on indefinitely if you like them.

Greg

If it's just for the inspection and first few hours, go to Home Depot and buy some numbers, stick them on, and decide on the final version later. Or you could keep them on indefinitely if you like them.

Greg
This is actually a really good idea. Just make sure they are 3" tall. ;)

Last edited:
If you really want to know what the international rules for registration marks are, then you need to check out ICAO Annex 7

The US have filed a difference with ICAO so you are not required to have the under wing markings that most other countries require for their own aircraft.

So strictly, they should be 300mm high, un-ornamented and clearly contrast with the background.

Not quite, 30 cm is about 11.8 inches, but the ICAO text uses the words "at least .... high" so the US 12 inch marks are clearly OK under ICAO rules.

Strictly says a little bigger is OK, not the "should be". :)

Great ideas....
Home Depot for the shake down,
Air Force sample to the painter.
When I tour Canada, vinyl temporaries.

Also remember if you put them on the fuselage, they may NOT be under the horizontal stabilizer. ref: ?45.25(b)(2).

Back