What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Digital Plans?

Paul Thomas

Well Known Member
Has anyone scanned the plans for the RV-7? Sometimes I'm in the office wondering how something goes together or I need to order parts and it would be nice to have something to refer to.

If it hasn't been done, I may just do it. I'm currently enjoying building so much that I don't want to stop; some projects are just too fun.

Scanned mine

I scanned mine. It really comes in handy. It's a text searchable PDF.

When one of the pages in the binder tears out, I just print another one and replace it.
Also great to review at work (although I should be working, kind of like now).

Last edited:
Scanned mine (the downsized sheets, not the full D size plans or whatever size those are), along with the instructions, and ran through the Adobe Acrobat Pro's OCR. TOTALLY convenient for looking for every reference to a part or piece of hardware.

Scanned mine, also have all parts lists and parts bags in excel. When looking for a piece of hardware I can find all parts bags they are located in inside of 7 seconds. *Totally* essential for building an RV.

Another tip: Use Google Desktop. Double click the "Ctrl" button and a search window pops up. Enter a piece of hardware, or a Vans P/N, or a Lycoming Service Bulletin number, and a google search results page pops up with links to whatever you searched for, all local on your PC. Obviously, you need everything digitally stored and searchable for this to work. This is a *real* timesaver...

My mantra - "It ain't worth having if you can't find it quickly"!

So I'm the only one who hasn't scanned them :). Could someone send me their copy?

I use a Mac and can search everything on my local computer quickly and easily. I haven't had problems finding parts: everything is labelled, in sequence, and easily available on shelves (Now that I've said that, I won't be able to find something).

Thanks,

me too me too

This is one of those things I can't believe I never got around to. I even deducted a few points off my geek card. I'm done building now (well flying at least), and I still see this as infinitely useful.

Will trade gratitude for a copy...

Don

digital 7/7a plans

Hey guys....happy holidays

Still in the building stage and looking to get the wings and fuse soon. Any chance that I can get the scanned plans emailed to me as well?

Thanks
Ken

Dear Santa,

I too would love a digital copy of those RV-7 plans if someone can send them easily. trevor.conroy(at)comcast.net.

So, is anyone going to post these, or just continue sending PMs? :eek:

I could be WAY out in left field here but, it seems to me Van's have Hundreds of thousands of real dollars invested in their "intelectual property".
I would imagine that if two RV 7 builders wanting to share digital files I see no issue. But to widely post "the files" on this forum. Ummmm. Don't konw.

Regards (and seasons greeting)

Last edited:
I could be WAY out in left field here but, it seems to me Van's have Hundreds of thousands of real dollars invested in their "intelectual properrty".
I would imagine that if two RV 7 builders wanting to share digital files I see no issue. But to widely post "the files" on this forum. Ummmm. Don't konw.

Yeah...if both parties have purchased said plans, Vans probably won't mind.

If they are posted...they will lose Preview Plans sales, and the original owner will still have their copy as well. Which...well, I'm not a lawyer, but isn't a good thing...copyright/licensing issues and all that. (I imagine Van's sells a decent multiple more Preview Plans than it does tail kits, and than it does Wing/etc kits....)

Last edited:
Could I get all of your MP3 files and any digital movies you've got laying around too?

This doesn't seem right guys. The plans aren't ours to give away, even if you believe the recipient has a paper copy.

Scanned Plans

I would buy a copy of the digital version of RV-7 plans "IF" Van's offered them. I am a perfect example of why they are needed.

I am "held prisoner" in Ohio's cold for almost 3 weeks during the holidays. I am also in the middle a "full court press" to finally finish my project but of course bringing my plans (even my preview plans) to Ohio was out of the question as I travel light (no luggage as everything I need for cold weather resides in Ohio)

I have literally been away from my project physically 6 weeks out of the last 3-4 months and mentally I have still been building.

It sure would be nice review the plans when I have a brainstorm or am spending all of my time reading VAF forums and questioning how I am going to do a particular task.

I own full size and preview plans of both the RV-6 and RV-7 because I incorporate RV-7 changes to my build as I can.

It's not a matter of a revenue stream from me to Van's as I have purchased about everything they offer (twice I think)

Agreed

I agree this doesn't pass the smell test. Even with the best intentions, there are copyright laws being broken.

Just take your preview plans to Kinko's or your nearest computer nerd and protect Van's intellectual property.

smell test?

I paid for one preview plans set, and bought another with my wing and tail kit (purchased by the previous kit owner.)

My greatest wish was having portability so I could take that binder with me without having a 55lb suitcase every week. I tried scanning the plans and my results were ****. I couldn't so much as make out the rivet call-outs or change notes in the plan header.

If vans could have offered a subscription to an internal website that allowed viewing with no printing capability-- of course at an additional price, I'd have gladly paid any reasonable fee.

Should I feel bad that I've tried to scan them? that it didn't work well? that I want a copy that works well enough to be usable on the road while away from my project? I think its quite like puting my music on my ipod. I own a license to the material for my personal use.

I would feel bad if there was a disk created by vans and I was asking for a burned copy when I could just pick up the phone and put a copy with my next parts order.

I spend money with Vans... I will continue to spend money with Vans... When they offer digital plans, I'll probably buy them.

Should I feel bad, I don't know. I do know that I don't feel bad right now. You tell me. Flame Suit On.

I think many of us would buy digital ones if they were offered. You could download updates, reprint damaged copies, enlarge areas, etc. All of us already own legit paper copies, this would just be another way to view those plans. It wouldn't make sense for anyone to go by these digital plans without consulting the current paper plans anyway.

How I scanned mine

I scanned mine at 600 DPI, PDF format. I then took the PDF and ran the OCR in Adobe Acrobat Pro.

It would be great if Van's offered a digital copy of the plans. They don't take long to scan.

Really cheap scans at Office Depot

I took my preview plans (11x17) to Office Depot and got everything (60+ pages) scanned onto a cd for less than $4...total. Not per page but for the whole stack and it took less than 10 minutes. Took longer to refold the pages and put them back into the binder. Easy!

Sharing scanned plans without consent from Van’s is a bad idea.
From a conversation I had with them years ago…I got the impression this is a sticky area for them.
I’m curious how they feel about this now.
But, I did have my plans scaned at Kinko's...it wasn't any trouble at all.

Danny

Intellectual property issues (legal, and otherwise) are complex and quite nuanced. Both in doing the "legal" thing and the "right" thing, it's often not black and white.

I'm not really sure here...if you do have the plans, and you get a digital copy (from a "right" thing perspective) it's really only saving you the time, by another helpful person. The legal perspective is more complex (assuming Van's disapproves).

But, also very easy for those plans to wander into the intertubes and be reasonably findable by those interested in RV's. And some of those may never move beyond plans, never having made a purchase from Van's. But taking up the music piracy debate, you could argue that those plans being more freely available would make people more likely to build RV's with greater exposure, at no cost to Van's... Who knows?

Would be interested to see what Van's thinks about it now. If they had a "digital option" for extra money to throw in a CD with the preview plans binder, I would have bought it. It's also nice that I can take digital notes on the PDF's while sitting at my PC...without munging up my printed set.

Note that I'm not making any argument or point here. Just talking outloud in general.

Me too!

My Rv-7 is done and flying, but I would still like to have a searchable scan of the prints. Can someone forward to me? Thanks and Merry Christmas!

dakota_hawk (at) att dot net

RV-12

Sharing scanned plans without consent from Van?s is a bad idea.
From a conversation I had with them years ago?I got the impression this is a sticky area for them.
I?m curious how they feel about this now.
But, I did have my plans scaned at Kinko's...it wasn't any trouble at all.

Danny

Danny,
I would think that maybe they have changed their mind on this topic. If you look at the RV-12 Revisions/Changes page, they now publish plans and manuals in PDF and this is not restricted to subscribed builders. I agree that it's only revisions, but each plans page is their intellectual property as well.

As someone stated above, making the plans and manuals freely available might bring them new customers. I know for sure that my decision was made as soon as I opened the Preview Plans and saw their quality, and this would have worked as well with an electronic version.

My 0.02 Euros

And Another

I'd also appreciate a digital copy if anyone would be good enough to send me a copy. I tried running the paper copy through our office scanner but it didn't like the non-standard (for a european) paper size and stretched the pages to fit with dire results!

Regards

Duncan

duncan_e at hotmail dot com

Hi,

I have just started my empanage. I was doing my log entry on my computer up in the house and found I would like to have the plans for part numbers. Of course they are down in the garage. If anyone can send me a set I would appreciate it.

dr-flyer at att dot net

Thanks.

Daniel, it’s a good point.
And, I do agree making digital plans freely available would be very good for business...and builders.
I hope they do it.
Somehow I still think this is their decision...it's a big step.
Maybe Doug and VAF could host the downloads.

Last edited:
This would be great. I can see having a nice 55" LCD TV mounted on my hangar wall to display the plans! :))

I'd also love to have the manual as a searchable PDF or just online in HTML. It would make searching so much easier.

Any chance I could snag a copy as well? Sure would be awesome to be able to search on part #'s and review plans/manual while away from the shop!

Thanks!!!

larry.enyeart(at)comcast.net

if you make a copy/scan of your own or if a fellow builders gives you the files, whats the difference? A copy is a copy not ?

So have I convinced anyone to send me a copy? Its christmas after all....

I'd love to have a copy as well. Working on the fuselage now and also frequently need to find a part number when I'm away from the shop.

I just bought an RV-6 that didn't come with the plans or builder's manual. If someone has a digital copy that they'd be willing to share, please get in touch via email or pm. I can give an FTP site if necessary, not sure how large these files are.

Me too please.

I am in Iraq and didn't bring my preview plans (for obvious reasons) but have often wished I had just to browse through them and learn. I have a tail kit waiting for me back home. Anyone, if you don't mind, please send me a digital copy. I would be very grateful.

Best,

Evans.

well, i've got the preview plans searchable but i am wondering what others have done to make the small size drawings searchable as well. i have run the OCR engine on a few and it will NOT pick all the text up. it grabs a good portion of it and depending on the dwg page not much at all. any ideas!?

Back