What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sensenich composite ground adjustable pirep

vfrazier

Well Known Member
I decided to replace the wood prop on my RV-4 with a Sensenich composite ground adjustable prop.

I have an older (1994) RV-4 with the old style fixed pitch cowling and a 12" diameter spinner. The engine is a 160HP Lyc. The cowling and 12" spinner required using a non-standard Sensenich spinner, nonetheless it looks good.

Since my RV-4 had a 2 color spinner originally, I wanted to duplicate that look. I also decided to go "all-in" on the binary colors and chose one white blade and one black blade. This was partly to mimic, albeit rather weakly, the Super Corsair that was at Oshkosh a few years back with 3 black blades and 1 white blade. It looked very cool in the air as you could easily see the 1 white blade spinning.

If the unseasonably mild weather holds out, I plan to do the initial flight tests tomorrow to confirm the pitch setting.

Sensenich-prop-12-24-19-3-scaled-e1577334324308.jpg

Sensenich-prop-12-24-19-2-scaled-e1577334179421.jpg

Sensenich-prop-12-24-19-1-scaled-e1577334255295.jpg

Sharp eyed viewers are asking themselves "Why is his canopy non-standard and what effect does it have on anything?" Well, I built this plane when I was in my 20's and had no extra money at the time. When I cracked the canopy bubble on a weld bead on the canopy frame, I had to figure out a way to save it. Since the small crack was right at the #7 bulkhead, I chopped it off, which removed the crack, and mounted the ducktail to the turtledeck permanently. As far as performance, it added at least 10 knots and gives me a place to store my ball cap, head set, etc. Honestly, I'm not so sure that I wouldn't do it again if I were building another 4.

Looks great!

Looks great just sitting there. Very unique with the different color blades.
Please keep us posted how you like it in the air.
I have been looking for opinions on this prop. I just saw yesterday by chance that they came out with a 3 bladed version of this...

It?s a nice prop. The pitch pins make it easy to set a pitch, but you may want too fine tune it with a prop protractor and make sure the pitch matches on both blades. Mine was off slightly.
My IO360 is around 190 HP, and I think I used the 5 pin. Maybe the 6.
The color combo you chose looks great!

Great prop

I really like mine. But...
I have 160 hp 0320 and found that I couldnt get enough pitch with it using the pins provided so Sensenich moved the index pins to the 180 hp location. Now its perfect and it really performs well. If you are only turning it up to the red line of the engine and not higher, it will out perform any other prop in my opinion. I had a catto for several years and it was great at 28-2900 but this prop blows it away in every respect. The only problem is its super light.

Cm

Chris,

Very interesting. I have a 160 HP too. I started with the #4 pin as recommended and it was much too fine, but man did it climb!

I moved to the #6 pin and haven't had a chance to fly it again... and will be out of town for a week. Doh!

Thanks to the others for the kind words on the paint scheme. It's supposed to be fun, right!? BTW, the phone call with Don at Sensenich was interesting. Don initially said something like "You want what?" but he realized that I was serious and immediately said "We can do that!" Hats off to Sensenich for GREAT service!

Last edited:
Back