What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

5 RV-10's fly to Quebec City

Ivan Kristensen

Well Known Member
Many months ago while at a BBQ in Ohio I floated the idea to a few of my flying buddies of an RV-10 weekend flying trip. After a few "adult" beverages at the Combs' Pig Roast in Canal Winchester the idea of a June trip to Quebec City was born.

On Thursday June 8th. 5 couples and 5 RV-10's assembled at the Waterloo regional Airport (CYKF) in SW'ern Ontario Canada to prepare for the 438nm trip to Quebec City (CYQB)

P1030158-XL.jpg

Bill and Jane Peyton from St. Louis MO, Geoff and Laurel Combs from Pickerington OH. arriving at CYKF to clear Customs.

We all met at the airport Restaurant for lunch to plan the weekend activities in Quebec. Due to deteriorating weather and TS in the forecast for the next day Rick and Sandra Lark from South Hampton ON. (VFR only for now) as well as the Combs' and the Peyton's all decided to leave for Quebec in the afternoon.

P1030162-XL.jpg

Taxiing for departure at CYKF

P1030165-XL.jpg

Flight Aware tracks on Combs and Peyton en-route between Ottawa and Montreal.

For various reasons Art and Jane Penner (Rockwood On.) and Dianne and I (Guelph ON.) we unable to leave until the next day, Friday. As it turned out the weather cooperated for both of us although a few minor deviations were needed to stay clear of the build ups along the St. Lawrence River east of Montreal.

P1060554-XL.jpg

Friday morning I took this shot of the Toronto Skyline with the CN Tower and City Center Airport.

Image00010-XL.jpg

Enroute

P1030166-XL.jpg

The 5 RV-10's tied down at the AvJet FBO in Quebec.

P1030196-XL.jpg

Our Hotel The Chateau Bellevue in the heart of Old Quebec.

IMG_2598-XL.jpg

Early arrivals went to Montmorency Falls Park east of Quebec City.

P1030186-XL.jpg

View from the boardwalk in from of Chateau Frontenac.

P1030190-XL.jpg

Chateau Frontenac high on the hill overlooking the St. Lawrence River.

Quebec Trip.

P1030169-XL.jpg

A stroll on the Boardwalk high above the St. Lawrence. Not a good hair day!

P1030170-XL.jpg

Some of the group were able to catch the changing of the guard at the Citadel near the Plains of Abraham.

P1030171-XL.jpg

One of the old gates into the walled city.

P1030179-XL.jpg

The gang having lunch at one of the many wonderful restaurants in Quebec.

2017-06-10%2019.30.38-XL.jpg

Being entertained during dinner at Le Parmesan, an excellent Italian restaurant only steps from our Hotel in the center of town. A most enjoyable couple of hours with great food, good friends and good times.

2017-06-10%2019.15.11-XL.jpg

Art and Jane Penner.

2017-06-10%2019.14.36-XL.jpg

Bill and Jane Peyton.

2017-06-10%2019.40.46-XL.jpg

Sandra and Rick Lark.

2017-06-10%2019.41.28-XL.jpg

Geoff and Laurel Combs.

2017-06-10%2019.42.46-XL.jpg

Diane and Ivan Kristensen.

Quebec Trip.

On Sunday morning we all checked out of our hotel and headed for the Quebec airport for the return trip to Kitchener airport. We were all concerned, not so much about the weather conditions, but more about the strong winds forecast to be gusting to 38kts for the time of departure. Rick was first to take off and he reported moderate to severe turbulence below 2500'. I was next and experienced moderate+ turbulence but it smoothed out above 4000' and stayed perfectly smooth for the balance of the trip except for the last few miles before touch down in Kitchener.

However, even though the flight conditions were VFR and smooth at 8000' we all experienced in excess of 70kt. head winds initially. Throw in a bit of mountain wave and we saw the GS fluctuate between 92kts and 118kts. for the first 45min. or so. Fortunately we knew that these winds would back off somewhat as we proceeded westbound but in the end the best I saw was a GS of about 135kts.

This trip is without a doubt the lowest GS I have seen in the RV-10 for a long X-country trip. 438nm in 3.6hrs = an average of 122kt GS. :mad::eek:

Four_IFR_Planes2-X3.jpg

Here is a shot from Bill's Garmin Pilot iPad App showing 4 RV-10's lined up on a "T" route airway near Trois Rivieres QB. (Three Rivers).

P1030197-XL.jpg

Bill and Geoff getting fuel at CYKF before returning to the US.

P1030203-XL.jpg

P1030202-XL.jpg

The say that all good things must come to an end! (too bad) So we say goodbye to our American friends as they leave for home after a superb weekend of flying together. Thanks for coming we all had a great time, lets do it again next year. Perhaps we can get a few more RV-10's to join us....

QUEBEC CITY week end trip

Ivan

I don't know if you knew but in the picture on the 4 RV-10 on a T route airway, C-GMDV is overflying CSU7 ( Lac a la Tortue) waterdrome ( CSL3 is the land airport just beside it ) but Lac a la Tortue is the birthplace of Commercial Bush Flying in Canada. It started in 1919

There is a very good restaurant by the water within walking distance of the airport.Our RV Gang go there quite often during the summer for breakfast..

Looks like you enjoyed Quebec City...

Cheers

Bruno

Looks like a great destination

Thanks Ivan for the pictures. What a great trip. Looking forward to seeing you guys next month.

SmugMug pictures

Thanks Ivan for the pictures. What a great trip. Looking forward to seeing you guys next month.

Scott,
Over lunch yesterday my RV-10 flying buddy Art Penner asked me if I was going to do VAF write up on our trip to Quebec City. At that time I hadn't really thought about doing it so I wasn't planning to.

When I got home I decided to do a write up but I remembered from trying some years ago that it was cumbersome to insert pictures. Then I did some research here on VAF and found your description of this process using SmugMug as the host. As it turns out I recently moved my complete library of digital photos t to the SmugMug site. Armed with this information it is now easy to insert pictures. Thanks Scott.

Great right up. Looks like everyone had a great time.

Its been a long time since I was there. We always fly right on by. I hope that we get that wind when we are heading to NB in July. We will make great time. :D

There is only one FBO at CYQB and they know it and charge accordingly. Parking is $70CAD/night waived with fill up. 100LL fuel was 2.48/ltr This equates to $9.39/US Gal. This now sets the record for how much I have paid for fuel, even with the conversion to USD! They told us another FBO is in the works and I suspect prices may come down when that happens. These prices for fuel are not consistent with any other FBO and city we have visited in Canada, so don't let it discourage anyone from making the trip. Fuel prices at other FBO's are closer to fuel prices in the lower 48 when USD are used to purchase.

Last edited:
Ivan,

Thanks for sharing. Looks like it was an awesome trip.

Can't wait to finish my build to start enjoying the Fruits of our labor

Tom & Linda Clark
N646LC soon to take flight

There is only one FBO at CYQB and they know it and charge accordingly. Parking is $70CAD/night waived with fill up. 100LL fuel was 2.58/ltr This equates to $9.78/US Gal.

I just looked up my fuel bill from CYQB. I took 99.7/ltr and paid $247.56/CAD That equates to $2.48/ltr x 3.785 = $9.39 CAD/gal. (3.785/ltr = 1 gal)

Since the Canadian $ is currently valued at approx. $0.75/US we have to apply this to convert to the US $ equivalent. So 9.39 x 0.75 = USD 7.04/gal :eek:

7.04 US$ per gal. is plenty bad enough and I am not about to defend these high prices, only point out that Bill forgot to make the conversion from Canadian to US dollars.

Fuel prices for both cars and airplanes are generally higher here in Canada than they are south of the border. But I would like to say to all our American friends. First, your are welcome to come visit us anytime. Second, please remember that when you do we give you a 25% discount on everything you buy because of the devalued Canadian dollar.

Ivan

I don't know if you knew but in the picture on the 4 RV-10 on a T route airway, C-GMDV is overflying CSU7 ( Lac a la Tortue) waterdrome ( CSL3 is the land airport just beside it ) but Lac a la Tortue is the birthplace of Commercial Bush Flying in Canada. It started in 1919

Cheers

Bruno

Bruno I didn't know that. Who was the first operator? BTW I saw you at Smiths Falls but I didn't get a chance to talk to you. I came in the right seat of a -6.

Not much GA movements in CYQB anymore as it has become prohibitive to land there. In addition to your FBO inflated bill, you will be receiving a landing fee invoice from the airport admin.

There is a relatively new airport Neuville (CNV9) appox. 10 miles west of YQB much friendlier to GA. Self-serve gaz at a more reasonnable price and a courtesy car.
A rental is required for few days stay but you still come ahead compare to a stop at CYQB.

Michel

Back