What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New FAA Special Airworthiness Information Bulletin

New AD on governor set screws where use includes aerobatics

Those with automated email AD delivery by the FAA received this today - there is no link, only an attached *.pdf which in part says:

"During engine manufacture, overhaul, or any time the propeller governor idler gear shaft is installed in the engine crankcase, a set screw, part number AN565B1032H3, H4, or H5, is installed in one of the crankcase halves to prevent movement of the propeller governor idler gear shaft.
If the set screw comes out, it might interfere with moving parts of the engine causing significant damage....Lycoming issued Service Instruction (SI) No. 1343C, dated March 10, 2016, to continue the application of Loctite 290 on the set screw threads, and to clarify the peening procedure after the set screw is installed. Note that Loctite 290 is not applied instead of peening the threads in the crankcase; it is applied in addition to peening the threads in the crankcase....Recommendations
1. For non-aerobatic engines, the FAA recommends that you apply Loctite 290 to the set screw each time the set screw is installed in the crankcase. Guidance for applying Loctite can be found in Lycoming SI No. 1343C, dated March 10, 2016.
2. For aerobatic and non-aerobatic engines, the FAA recommends that you check for the presence of the set screw at periodic internals. Guidance for"

I did it!!!

I'm probably the guy that caused the expansion of the Special Airworthiness Bulletin. I reporter hear last November problems I was having with my 500hr IO540 which was new not overhauled from Lycoming. It had a screeching noise not unlike a loose alternator belt. Although the previous Service bulletin did not address my engine we checked the setscrew loosening anyway. Sure enough it was loose. Here is what I wrote about it then.

"Next someone suggested perhaps the pressure relief valve in the prop governer might cause a similar noise so the governer has been sent to the shop for IRAN as well as the prop which was due also for time. Someone mentioned AD 2015-02-07 and its corresponding SL1343B. This AD which became effective in March 15' lists a series of Aerobatic engines however our engine is is an IO-540D4A5 which was purchased new from Van's in July of 2005 and is not part of the AD. What the AD refers to is the possibility that a setscrew that holds the governer drive gear shaft in place may become loose. The AD refers you to Lycoming SL 1343B which covers all wide deck 320, 360, 540, 580 and 720 series engines with a front mounted governer. Ours is in this series. Basically the Sl gives instructions at the next overhaul to replace a clip that holds the shaft with a setscrew or if the engine already has a setscrew to secure it per the instructions provided so that it cannot come loose. We decided to just check and see if the shaft might be loose or something. We removed the access plug and inserted a magnet to capture the shaft and it moved. Whoa - its not supposed to move! it would rotate and move fore and aft over an 1/8". Ok called Lycoming. Their reply "Yep engine needs to be removed and cases split to tighten the loose setscrew; and - oh by the way - were not paying anything, even tho it was our engine assembler that screwed up. Sorry!!! Bye."

So now I gotta pay for an engine tear down on a 500hr IO540 just to tighten a setscrew. Bummer.

So word to the wise. Next time you have your prop off, if you have one of these wide deck engines with a front mounted governer pad you aught to pull that plug and check to see if the shaft is loose. Bad things will probably happen if that setecrew falls completly out and that shaft is free to move around. Just say'n. I was just lucky with this one."

So after paying Lycoming more money than I spent with Stein I have a fresh overhauled engine to install. Lycoming's contribution was zero/nada.

All in all it was a very unpleasent experience but thank the lord that setscrew did not come all the way out and fall into the gearset. Leson learned check that setscrew the next time you have the prop off.

smart engine persons, please decode!

Yes, the way I read this, there's a couple hundred? engines made since '07 that have peened and locktited? parts. No worries.

The OTHER 234,000 built since 1940, and all the other assemblers, may NOT.

so does this not make it a R.B.F.D.??????

Please enlighten the unwashed masses!...before we all go rip our engines out and split our cases to look at this tiny (yet deadly) part!?!?!?

AD follow up

Has anyone performed this AD?
I'm curious if the engines prior to the AD were compliant and if not what was done?
What was the engine build date?

I don't think it is an AD, yet, for non-aerobatic engines. Looks like it is for aerobatic engines, only.

Last edited:
See post number six. This happened to a non aerobatic engine. The inspection is easy and should be done anytime the prop is off in my opinion. Just sayin if that little setscrew does fall out it will ruin your whole day guaranteed.

Valley

See post number six. This happened to a non aerobatic engine. The inspection is easy and should be done anytime the prop is off in my opinion. Just sayin if that little setscrew does fall out it will ruin your whole day guaranteed.

Fellow RGV. I grew up in Brownsville.
The reason for reviving the post is to draw attention and find out if there are any who have found the screw loose. Reading the various bulletins, it sounds like very few. Lycoming has been using Locktite since 2007.
The problem if found is it requires a full teardown and split cases to fix.

Larry thanks for bringing this subject back up. Most folks dismiss it on their pre 2007 engines because it does not pertain to the non aerobatic models. Unfortunately it can happen to all of the front governor models that have not been locktited and staked in place. The inspection is easy anytime the prop is off. Unfortunately if the problem is found its gonna cost some real $$$$$$$ for a teardown but way cheaper than the thing falling into a running engine and/or an engine out landing.

Fellow RGV. I grew up in Brownsville.
The reason for reviving the post is to draw attention and find out if there are any who have found the screw loose. Reading the various bulletins, it sounds like very few. Lycoming has been using Locktite since 2007.
The problem if found is it requires a full teardown and split cases to fix.

And I was born and raised in Donna!:)

My IO540 was delivered fresh from the Lycomming factory early May, 2016. Is this something I need to be concerned about?

Back