What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gemini AP

boom3

Well Known Member
Received my Gemini Autopilot on Thursday and got it installed yesterday afternoon. (My airplane was pre-wired, plumbed, and ready) Took it out for a test flight in the evening and it performed perfectly, just like the Vizion that was installed previously.

This morning I got to fly some IFR (and some IMC) with it and it is awesome! Well worth the wait!!!:)

GeminiAP1.jpg

In action in the procedure turn for the GPS RWY 34L approach at PAE.

GeminiAP2.jpg

Very cool little device. Amazing how much is packed into such a small and ultra lightweight package!

Is it driven by your Dynon or your G430?

Thanks,

Lee...

Hi Lee,

The GNS-430 has both GPS and VOR/ILS ARINC outputs that are connected to my Dynon HS34. I ended up splitting the GPS portion before the HS34 and sending one side to the Gemini AP. This ARINC is for the GPSS steering commands. I also have just serial GPS data from the GNS-430 to the Gemini AP. This is how it gets it's GPS info. (You have to do both.)

Unfortunately since my GNS-430 is non waas it doesn't send GPSS steering commands for the hold or procedure turns. (It's hard to see in the picture but during the procedure turn I have the AP on track mode until back on the inbound leg where I can switch back to GPSS.)

I see you're still using your Lowrance 2000c GPS, Jeff. Glad I'm not the only one. If only we could get a current database...

The Gemini looks great in your panel, and obviously works like a charm. Hope it continues to provide the excellent service we've come to expect from TruTrak products.

I see you're still using your Lowrance 2000c GPS, Jeff. Glad I'm not the only one. If only we could get a current database...

Shoot I knew I should have cropped that picture.... :D

Seriously though I love that GPS and it's worked flawlessly since the day I bought it. (9 1/2 years ago :eek:) It'll likely be part of my panel until it croaks.

I really like the terrain on it compared to the 430 and I keep good batteries in it for a backup.

It would be nice to be able to update the database though. Funny how much has changed since the last update.

Shoot I knew I should have cropped that picture.... :D

Seriously though I love that GPS and it's worked flawlessly since the day I bought it. (9 1/2 years ago :eek:) It'll likely be part of my panel until it croaks.

I really like the terrain on it compared to the 430 and I keep good batteries in it for a backup.

It would be nice to be able to update the database though. Funny how much has changed since the last update.

The Lowrance aviation GPS products were way ahead of their time, and at a price point that should have made Garmin jealous. I'm like you - my 2000c will stay in the panel until it no longer functions. I've got my map database customized using MapCreate to include not just the (outdated) aviation database but also topographic map data. Makes it far easier communicate ones position when we are able to say "I'm over Serpentine River one mile south of Otter Lake" - this level of geographical reference isn't available in aviation charts.

I'm now using a Nexus 7 tablet running FltPlan GO as my primary navigation device for staying clear of airspace, etc, but the Lowrance remains my primary tool for maintaining situational awareness.

Back